PDA

View Full Version : Another story about ashes thrown on attraction

Pages : [1] 2

Maximus
07-30-2003, 12:24 PM
I have been given some info about a person that will be heading to DL this weekend and will attempt to dump the ashes of thier wife in the POTC. I am really upset at this idea and don't know what to do. I remember that story of the family throwing the ashes in the HM and that made me upset. For crying out loud, Disneyland is not a cemetary! Anyway, what do you think I should do? :confused:

Andrew
07-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Call Disneyland, ask for Security, tell them what you know, ask to remain anonymous.

Allison
07-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Why are you so upset about this?

I am sure they have ways of cleaning up what they have probably dealt with numerous times. (vacuum)

Now you are going to to call security and they will pounce on this poor guy fulfilling his wife's last wish.
This poor guy is going be humiliated, because the idea upsets you so. You will never even be affected by this.

I will say though, Pirates is probably the worst place you could choose, survaillence everywhere!

We have chosen much better spots, and it will be only a tiny amount!:p

Disneyphile
07-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
For crying out loud, Disneyland is not a cemetary!

Hmmm. I'm surprised the skull and crossbones adorning the headboard in the "Captain Quarters" segment of the cave doesn't bother anyone then.

I was told about this story by my guide on the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour. Here's a link to a story source, and a quote:

http://www.oitc.com/Disney/Disneyland/Secrets/Square/Pirates.html

On the bed with the skeleton on it, there is a real human skull on the headboard!
REPORTED: Ronnie P. 18 FEB 97
Given to Walt by a friend.
CONFIRMED: DENNIS 06 AUG 97
I have heard the same thing about the skull and bones on the headboard of the bed in Pirates of the Caribbean being real. It does look different (darker color and more realistic shape) than all the others!
CONFIRMED: Kat 16 OCT 98

Here's another link:
FastFact on MousePlanet (http://www.mouseplanet.com/magicyears/my111700.htm) (scroll to the bottom)

At least ashes aren't smiling back at ya.;)

RStar
07-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Really!!??!!

Maybe Walt's head thawed and someone stuck it there!

Oh, that was in poor taste wasn't it?

Sorry.

Disneyphile
07-30-2003, 02:36 PM
:giggle:

Actually, the story my tourguide gave me was that it belongs to one of the ride's designers whose dying wish was to have his skull and crossbones interred inside the attraction. And with a more lenient law back then, those wishes were carried out without having to go through all the "red tape" of such controversy today.

Not only are the colors, texture, and size different than the fabricated ones, but also take a close look at the eye sockets next time.;)

To me, it's a shame the person who wishes to scatter his wife's ashes didn't just keep his mouth shut about it. IMHO, what we don't know can't upset us. And I'm sure that quite a bit of ashes are discreetly scattered at various places throughout the park all the time.

Bill Catherall
07-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Tell your friend what's really going to happen...

a) If he gets caught in the act then the ride will get shut down while a HAZMAT team comes in to determine whether or not the substance he destributed was hazardous. He will get caught and detained by security. It's possible he could get arrested for a terrorist act. It's a stretch, but possible. In the least he could get fined. But even if he just gets away with a slap on the wrist and a warning the ride will get shut down all day and probably even longer while HAZMAT is in there, ruining the rest of the day for anybody else who wanted to ride it.

b) If he doesn't get caught his wife's ashes will eventually get filtered out of the water. That kind of makes the trip pointless, and certainly not worth the risk of scenario A.

Lani
07-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Allison
Why are you so upset about this?For one thing, I am dumbfounded that some people think that spreading the ashes inside a building on private property is akin to scattering one's ashes in the ocean.

Ocean: Ashes get swept away in the water.

Building: They have to go and clean it up, and they can't just throw it in the trash can. a) I suspect it's considered biological waste, so they have to call the cops, or something, and b) talk about horrendously disprectful to the dead. I don't think a lot of people want to have their ashes swept up with a broom by some janitor and then tossed in the trash.

But as others have said, it is disruptive to the guests and CMs most of all. They have to shut down the ride to clean up the mess. Talk about a selfish (and poorly thought out) thing to do.

By the way, Allison, I think what you are suggesting is morally wrong, and I disagree with you.

DisneyFan25863
07-30-2003, 02:59 PM
I would like to add:
C) If he were to put the ashes on the parts of the ride on land (ex. inside the captians quarters), his wife's ashes would be vacumed up by DL custodials.

Maximus
07-30-2003, 03:04 PM
By the way, Allison, I think what you are suggesting is morally wrong, and I disagree with you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for seeing the big picture Lani.

tod
07-30-2003, 03:14 PM
A real skull in Pirates? Ick.

I know for a fact that there were real skeletons in a couple of '80s horror movies and I can't even watch those movies any more knowing those boogie-boogie skeletons are real.

Thank you for sharing that.

--T

Haldwitten
07-30-2003, 03:26 PM
This whole idea of spreading ashes at Disneyland is so disrespectful to the deceased AND the Guests in the park. It disrupts the running of the attraction, and the remains are always cleaned up.

It amounts to nothing more than necro-graffiti... a way of "marking" an attraction as a kind of "in-joke" between family and friends (assuming you weren't somehow caught). "Hey, we spread some of Uncle Al around here... isn't that a gas?" No, it's not.

Security and management will NOT take this kind of behavior lightly. Anyone caught in such an act would find themselves in some SERIOUS trouble.

G

Allison
07-30-2003, 06:11 PM
You may consider that morally wrong, but those are your beliefs.
I simply pointed out that it is likely that this occurs quite often.
just guessing by Disney's previous track record of liking to handle their own business, I really doubt the cops are called out. Ashes are not a Bio-Hazard. It is however illegal to take them and dispose of them somewhere.
And although illegal, people have always done what they want with them.
By the way,
My husband and I have been joking for years, about putting some of our ashes there. My point was the Pirates is the worst place to consider it, the rest was a joke.
What becomes of people's ashes as long as it doesn't interfere with the health and well being of others, should be up to them.
That is why laws are not that rigid concerning ashes. If they were a danger or threat to anyones health, we would not be able to get possession of them.

Bill Catherall
07-30-2003, 06:35 PM
just guessing by Disney's previous track record of liking to handle their own business, I really doubt the cops are called out. You mean like when it happened on HM and they shut down the ride and called in a HAZMAT team? Yes, the cops are called out. Especially since they don't know immediately what it is the person is spreading. They might say it's human remains but it could be something toxic. Anthrax anyone?

Haldwitten
07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
You may consider that morally wrong, but those are your beliefs.
I simply pointed out that it is likely that this occurs quite often.
just guessing by Disney's previous track record of liking to handle their own business, I really doubt the cops are called out.

People forget that Disneyland is private property and, as such, is most definitely not an appropriate place to dispose of ashes. Period.

With 50,000 or so people in the park and reports of possible terrorist attacks being planned, you can be assured the Resort will NOT be so dismissive of someone spreading a white powder in a clandestine manner throughout an attraction.

Again... This is SUCH A BAD IDEA! Don't do it!!

Morrigoon
07-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Now, if it were me, I'd drop maybe a fistful in Pirates. After all, it's going to get filtered out anyway. But on land in DL is better (again, it would have to be in small amounts to avoid getting it vacuumed up) Somewhere on the berm, perhaps, or in a planter that isn't too frequently replanted (like the hill toward the FL skyway station).

For goodness sake, don't dump all of them there!
a)it's messy
b)you'll get caught
c)it's a waste because eventually it'll get swept up/filtered out
d)you don't wanna get DL all dirty w/ashes now, do you?

A handful on the berm and a handful in ROA seems enough.

Haldwitten
07-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Did some checking on the disposal of cremated remains and found a nice kind of FAQ to Dear Abby.

Dear Abby Cremation Letter (http://www.cburial.com/dear_abby.html)

And the telling part:

Second, while it is permissible in all states to scatter cremated remains, there are legal requirements. No state law allows them to be scattered on private property without the consent of the property owner.

So yet again... DON'T DO IT!

cstephens
07-31-2003, 12:10 PM
What becomes of people's ashes as long as it doesn't interfere with the health and well being of others, should be up to them.

I agree completely. Therefore, when someone wants to scatter ashes in a confined space where tons and tons of people are sent through on a constant basis, that would not be the place to scatter Uncle John's ashes, Uncle John's wishes notwithstanding.

I don't much like second-hand smoke. I definitely don't want to experience second-hand ashes.

Klutch
07-31-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
:giggle:

Actually, the story my tourguide gave me was that it belongs to one of the ride's designers whose dying wish was to have his skull and crossbones interred inside the attraction. And with a more lenient law back then, those wishes were carried out without having to go through all the "red tape" of such controversy today.

The US Navy fighter squadron VF-84 "Jolly Rogers" has the skull and femurs from a long lost comrade. They carry them around in a glass case wherever they go. As I recall, an ensign (most junior officer) is assigned with protecting and caring for the "Jolly Roger" display. The VF-84 fin flash is the Jolly Roger. They were featured prominently in the movie "The Final Countdown".

Like the display in PotC, I doubt they could start such a tradition today.

mrfantasmic
07-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Lord, just spread the ashes somewhere else! There is no good to it, unless it's in a place you can be sure it won't be filtered out.

But a terrorist act? Sure I can see it, but before 9/11 they would have said it was mischief or something.

GeminiAngel
08-01-2003, 06:54 AM
People are so selfish!!!! Spreading of one's bodily remains at a family theme park is the most repulsive thing in the whole world!!
Health hazard or not, I don't want to be the one who inhales dearly departed Aunt Mary while she gets caught up in the ventilation system!!! And part of her will end up there. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!! IDIOTS!!!! :mad:

bluebayou
08-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Ok - I wasn't sure bout replying to this topic but I feel like I must. As being one person who recently (3 weeks ago) cremated her mother - I would have to say that you guys need to get your facts straight. Obviously most of you have never done this to a loved one or you would realize exactly what is done. The term "ashes" is very misleading because in fact you are not reduced to ash - but to small tiny bone fragments. In the previous post - (NOT to pick on you - I dont know you and I am sure you are a wonderful person and all) BUT you cannot exactly inhale someone's remains unless you can inhale bone fragments (highly unlikely).

Secondly - I agree that Disneyland is not the place to leave someone's last remains BUT if someone wants to do it then so be it. As long as I don't know - it won't hurt me.

mousey_girl
08-01-2003, 08:46 AM
I am just surprised no one has mentioned that there is a restaraunt that is located INSIDE this attraction....

femmfaerie
08-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Haldwitten
This whole idea of spreading ashes at Disneyland is so disrespectful to the deceased
G

I am not really commenting on the whold subject - I am not really too sure how I would feel about the spreading of ashes - but I am sure one day Disney will find money in the idea and you will be able to buy small plots in a wall where you can leave a tiny Urn...
But as for the "disrespect to the deceased" - how is this disrespect if that is what the wife wanted? She would have to know there are filters in the water, right? Maybe she just wanted her "one day - or maybe one hour"

femmfaerie
08-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by bluebayou
Ok - I wasn't sure bout replying to this topic but I feel like I must. As being one person who recently (3 weeks ago) cremated her mother -

Sorry to hear about your loss