PDA

View Full Version : Should cell phones be banned?

Pages : [1] 2

iceblue42
07-30-2003, 10:51 AM
When I was at the park last June (and I hadn't been if a few years) I was shocked at the number of cell phones being used. One of the things Walt wanted in Disneyland was to have little or no "outside world" encroach on the Disney experience. I found an extreme number of people using the phones to conduct business while on the shuttle heading to the park, standing in line waiting to go on a ride and the worst one was some guy's phone ringing while riding Pirates (talk about wrecking the mood!). I think it would be great if Disney came up with a way of scrambling the cell signals in the park to force people to actually interact with their families while on vacation rather than a "working" vacation.:fez:

Bill Catherall
07-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Wow. Someone's cellphone worked inside pirates? He must have great coverage!

Cellphones work great in helping our group "stay together" while splitting up. I'm not in favor of banning them.

iceblue42
07-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Yep! This guys phone started ringing just before the first drop (I admit we all got a good laugh) - on the other hand I think the cell phone fits right into the theme at DCA... ;)

cemeinke
07-30-2003, 11:05 AM
No cell phones? How ever would we keep in contact with Not Afraid?

I too am against this proposed ban.

Matterhorn Fan
07-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
No cell phones? How ever would we keep in contact with Not Afraid?

I too am against this proposed ban. What's the number of the Frontierland pay phone again? ;)

tod
07-30-2003, 11:41 AM
...but in ourselves." Julius Caesar, Act 1, Scene 2.

The problem is not the cell phones, it is inconsiderate behavior, and that pre-dates telephones of all types. Also telegraphs, trains and the wheel.

Ban cell phones, and people will still bring them in. "My mother's on her deathbed, I need to have it so I can stay in touch."

You know, like the teenagers in the wheelchairs?

Deal with it. Counter rudeness with rudeness ("Is that for me? I was expecting a call."), or develop a pained sigh and a resigned mutter: "Damn yuppies with their cell phones..."

--T
who keeps his phone on vibrate for hours on end when in the park(s) and NEVER answers in the middle of an attraction. That's what voice mail is for.

tod
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
What's the number of the Frontierland pay phone again? ;)

I have one behind the Matterhorn and one in the entranceway to DCA, but not Frontierland.

--T
:fez:

Matterhorn Fan
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by tod
I have one behind the Matterhorn and one in the entranceway to DCA, but not Frontierland. You've got Harold's number? Cool. :geek:

Tref
07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
I finally just gave in and joined modern society by getting a cell phone, myself. In some ways having a cell phone is invaluable, though it bothers me too that some people seem to use it as a substitute for simply being here now, dig? Anyway, as I am guilty as the ones described above I can only keep my mouth shut, though betwixt you and me, if Disney were to request that they be turned off before all rides, I would not complain.

I remain,

Dlandmom
07-30-2003, 12:25 PM
I took my daughter on Snow White not long ago, and the guy who was sitting in the back seat got a call in the middle of the ride (don't even ask why the CM put two groups together in one car when Snow White was a walk-on...but I digress). This guy actually was SHOUTING into the phone trying to have a conversation all through the second half of the ride.

tod is right...it's inconsiderate behavior that's the problem, not cell phones.

DisneyFan25863
07-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Whenever I have my phone in the park, I always turn it off before I go into any buliding. I think Cell Phones should be allowed in the parks, but people should be required to turn them of before going inside ;)

I *think* I have the number for one at the Tomorrowland restrooms, but I'm not sure, I have yet to test it :)

mrfantasmic
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Absolutely not. I too get annoyed when they are on inside an attraction, but they keep a group together and in communication!

johnnyrad
07-30-2003, 12:57 PM
I also say people should be asked to put them on silent or vibrate, but dont ban them totally. At work even i keep mine so it just beeps once when its ringing.

iceblue42
07-30-2003, 01:02 PM
It is inconsiderate behavior to not turn off one's cell before getting on a ride (or at least turn the ringer off) yet they are a great tool for keeping groups in touch with one another. It's too bad that people cannot use simple common sense when it comes to consideration of others - didn't we all learn not to interrupt others when they are speaking? talking in whispers in a library? putting the seat down after going to the bathroom?:D Heck, even the movie theatres ask that cell phones an beepers be turned off before watching a movie "in consideration of others".

We used the "family" walkie-talkies to keep in touch and they were great even though we had to come up with a code so that we knew for sure that we were talking to the right person because we found many twits tried to fool and misdirect (but I still turned them off when we were on a ride).

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Just allow use of them in tomorowland :)

iceblue42
07-30-2003, 01:05 PM
While the concept of cell phones is perfect for Tomorrowland wouldn't that be pointless? Last I heard it was more like a ghost town... ;)

Allison
07-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Cell phones are just a fact of life now, and will always be present. There will be those of us who turn them off for an attraction, and there will those that yak through everything.

We had the same debate about them and the radios on cruise ships. it comes down to manners versus no manners.

We use to take the radios to DL, but so many people were on them, we couldn't find a channel that wasn't full of people.
We use our phones to communicate, and turn them off for attractions. I have no problem with people in line using the phone.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Hmm. When I'm not on vacation, my leash stays in my car unless I'm expecting a call.

When I'm traveling by sleeping car, it normally stays clipped to the tray-table-bracket in my room, where it doubles as a time-zone-responsive alarm clock.

When I'm checked into a hotel, my leash normally stays there unless I expect to need it for something (like calling the House of Prime Rib [San Francisco] if the California St. cable car line breaks down while I'm enroute).

And of course, if I'm flying somewhere, it stays powered down cold. The last things I want to be responsible for are (1) a disruption of cellular service over a wide area, and (2) a disruption of the plane's avionics. The only reason why I wouldn't go as far as removing the battery pack is if I need to demonstrate to a screener that it's a real cell phone.

Which is to say that I don't often carry my leash. I like being unreachable.

iceblue42
07-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Leash...hadn't heard it phrased that way before but very appropriate. :)

cstephens
07-30-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't turn off my celphone when I go into attractions, but if it happens to ring while I'm in an attraction (provided there's coverage - usually, the person calling just gets voicemail anyway), I push the button that stops the ringing and sends the caller to voicemail. One ring doesn't bother me. It's the constant ringing or worse, actual conversation that bothers me. I think people have gotten way too comfortable with celphones. I don't particularly like it when someone talks on the phone while we're out at dinner. Sure, if you need to have the discussion fine, but take it outside, and don't just chit-chat with someone. I actually know someone who has celphone etiquette that I'm not particularly fond of, to the point where I almost had to say something to the person at one point, but the person hung up the cel call before I needed to intervene.

ununoctium
07-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Nokia and AT&T Present Tomorrowland's newest attraction:

THE CELL PHONE!

Hey, it didn't cost us a dime! If we make a sign, and market it, it should work, right?

blusilva
07-30-2003, 11:44 PM
I think of Disneyland attractions the same way I think of a theater.

"I paid good money to experience this. Your cellphone is a disturbance. Turn it off."

Tyr
07-31-2003, 06:59 AM
On our trip this July, a two teenagers, a boy and a girl, were in the doom buggy right behind us in the HM. For some reason, the girl kept hitting the 'ring' button on her phone constantly throughout the ride. I tried to ignore it and just concentrate on the ride, but the ring kept grating on my nerves. Finally, I leaned over the side of my buggy and said, "You must be simply enthralled by the fact that you own a cell phone and feel the need to show off for all of us, but for the love of god, turn it off!" Well, to my surprise, she actually did! I was expecting attitude but I couldn't hold it in any longer! We got lots of dirty looks from the pair of them on the way out, but it was worth it :)

smd4
07-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Yes, cell phones are just sooo useful and such a convenience!

How did we ever have a good time at Disneyland without them?

***I'm sorry I can't be MORE sarcastic...***

Not Afraid
07-31-2003, 08:24 AM
My cell phone if a very important device. Anyone who has been to DL with me knows the value of my phone. However, I also practice manners and turn it off or on vibrate when I am in a situation where the ring would be disturbing. Most attractions don't have decent cell coverage so that problem gets solved on it's own. If the phone does happen to ring in the HM Graveyard (where I DO have coverage) I just use the cstephens method and send the call to VM.

Banning cell phones in DL is an extreme measure and could lead to more problems than solve existing ones. Asking people to use their manners would be more appropriate.

There is new legislation that allows medical facilities to request cell phones be turned off in the offices or care areas. It states that patients have the right to a calm environment when they are seeking medical help. I completely agree with this one. I once had a person arguing loudly on a cell when I was waiting for a therapeutic massage. I was very tense - tenser then when I arrived - when my masseuse started on me.