PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite area to relax in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

totbellhop
08-26-2001, 01:47 PM
Hey, I was just wondering, what is your favorite spot to sit and relax in Disneyland.
Mine, we'll I have a lot, but here are my favorites:
1)Main Street Cinema
2)Carnation Garden
3)Near the Sub Lagoon
4)Radio Disney Station
I hope I get better ideas with your posts.
Bye

Napsto
08-26-2001, 02:29 PM
i like to chill in cafe orleans, or on coke corner after closing.

tjrj
08-26-2001, 03:59 PM
This may seem rather strange but: my family loves Tom Sawyer island. It's been my husband's favorite place in the Park since he was a kid and would spend all day there if allowed. He's passed his enthusiasm on to our boys. They all get to run and play on their own and not be "in tow" as they are in the Park.

Because of my disability-I have CP-I can have a tough time moving around on the island. However, I enjoy the chance to sit and drink a lemonaide(is the snack bar there still open?) and people watch. I also enjoy the respite from making sure the boys are safe and sound and not wondering off.

New Orleans Square is also a great place for a break-with a clam chowder bread bowl of course!-especially when there's music playing.

totbellhop
08-26-2001, 04:12 PM
I also like Tom Sawyer Island, not like aplace to relax, but for exploration. I walk all over it looking for Fantasmic! projectors, trapdoors, storage areas, etc.
One time, me and two friends tried to hide and wait until Fantasmic! started, but we were spotted by a cast member, who told us that we were lucky he found us.
And about the snack bar, I've never seen one.
Have a nice day.
Goodbye.

Napsto
08-26-2001, 04:39 PM
you were luck he found you? becuase he is such a nice guy right?

totbellhop
08-26-2001, 05:16 PM
I don't know what he meaned with that? Maybe because the island turns dangerous during night or something.:confused:

mad4mky
08-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Either the Galleria Balcony in NOS, or the benches in NOS below the RR and Haunted Mansion...love the trees, smells and people watching.:)

Morrigoon
08-26-2001, 09:43 PM
It USED to be the area behind the Matterhorn, facing the motor boat area. It was shady and has the best benches in the park. But now they've moved the whole queue there, and it's not as quiet as it once was.

Coke corner (and plaza pavilion adjacent to it) is probably the best now.

mcampisi
08-27-2001, 06:12 AM
Mine was/is Critter Country benches in the late evening/night. I used to love the Brer Bar too. Now that the bar is closed and the crowds are huge, it's harder to enjoy.

JimG
08-27-2001, 11:04 AM
When relaxing in DL, I mostly enjoy the outdoor area of the French Market in New Orleans Square, mainly *before* Fantasmic!. I wish there were/had been another location for Fantasmic!. It's too bad DL's "Fantasmic!" had to disrupt DL's last "quiet area", i.e., New Orleans Square.

It would be nice (IMHO) if Fantasmic! could be shifted to the Paradise Pier lagoon. Better yet, it would be nice if the Paradise Pier "carnie ride" area could be completely _removed_, leaving only a water show area for Fantasmic! and other such Disney water-themed attractions. Hope springs eternal. <sigh>

PirateoftheCaribbean
08-27-2001, 11:12 AM
I like the graveyard on Tom Sawyer's Island, and In The NOS courtyard when the music is playing.

Niwel
08-27-2001, 11:42 AM
I love to relax on the train. (I just get a spot in the corner so no one bothers me.)
Another good place to relax is in Big Thunder Trail since it isn't used very much and there are some nice benches back there.

rexfarms
08-27-2001, 04:57 PM
I go to DL quite often, but I was just wondering what makes the benches so nice? Sure they are great benches, but what is it about the benches that are so great? Should this be a new post?

Tink
08-27-2001, 06:05 PM
Relax at DL! No, no, no there's no time to relax. Must see and do all in a short period of time with tens of thousands of other people trying to do the same.

mad4mky
08-27-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Tink
Relax at DL! No, no, no there's no time to relax. Must see and do all in a short period of time with tens of thousands of other people trying to do the same.

That's exactly what my husband said!

Me...I get mad that my family gets hungry and has to stop to eat!!! Getting a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Sandwich while on the go does me just fine. Course, this from a woman who spends one day there just to shop...and then the next to ride rides.

beanpole
08-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Morning: I relax by Coke Corner with a double latte and a cinnamon bun from the Blue Ribbon Bakery, watching the parade of excited guests go marching by.

Evening: With a bowl full of hearty beef stew and a heart full of good cheer, I take a seat in the French Market. On a stage directly in front of me, a Dixieland band plays a spirited rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In". To my right, the Mark Twain drifts by silently and slowly, decorated with tiny white lights and looking like a floating wedding cake.

Night: I stand in the center of the Hub facing Main Street. My jaw drops open at the sight of hundreds of winking, blinking lights on every tree branch, and thousands more all along the Main Street facades.

As much as I thrill to adventures with pirates, ghosts, rocketships and Indiana Jones, it's those quiet moments of observance and wonderment that bring me in touch with the magic of Walt Disney the most.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-28-2001, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by totbellhop
I don't know what he meaned with that? Maybe because the island turns dangerous during night or something.:confused:
Here's why - they close up the island at night. You might've been stranded.

I like beanpole's reply. :) I don't sit and take it all in and people-watch often enough.

Niwel
08-28-2001, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
I go to DL quite often, but I was just wondering what makes the benches so nice? Sure they are great benches, but what is it about the benches that are so great? Should this be a new post?

They are MAGIC benches...duh:)
Actually, they are nice because they allow you to sit down. (Something rarely done at Disneyland) I mean, there's lots of rocks and curbs around but a bench...man, there is nothing like a Disneyland bench.

Upanova
08-28-2001, 08:44 AM
The Disney Gallery courtyard. I usually sit there with a Coke and think about how Walt would have decorated the place and what it would have been like to actually STAY there as his guest. That would have be so awesome! Wonder how the apartment would have been decorated and all.

Would love to relax up on Walt's apartment above the Fire House. Has anyone been up there, or even gotten a peek at the place. I haven't even seen a photo of what it looks like inside there. Just curious...

Upanova

MickeyD
08-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Upanova
The Disney Gallery courtyard. I usually sit there with a Coke and think about how Walt would have decorated the place and what it would have been like to actually STAY there as his guest. That would have be so awesome! Wonder how the apartment would have been decorated and all.

Would love to relax up on Walt's apartment above the Fire House. Has anyone been up there, or even gotten a peek at the place. I haven't even seen a photo of what it looks like inside there. Just curious...

Upanova

A friend of mine was up in Walt's apartment recently, and she told me that there has never been a picture of it published anywhere. And of course, those who are lucky enough to be in it aren't allowed to bring cameras.

JimG
08-28-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

"A friend of mine was up in Walt's apartment recently, and she told me that there has never been a picture of it published anywhere. And of course, those who are lucky enough to be in it aren't allowed to bring cameras."

The first published picture of the inside of Walt's DL apartment was in the August, 1963, edition of National Geographic, showing Walt, his wife, and two of their grandchildren in the apartment (wide-angle-lens shot).

Later interior pics of the DL apartment above the fire station were published in the official Disney Magazine (in the 90's), although I no longer have that specific copy.

no1here
08-28-2001, 01:39 PM
My favorite place to relax would have to be the PeopleMover. . .so I no longer am able to relax at Disneyland (except for Pirates, Small World and the trains.)

DanS3
08-29-2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JimG

The first published picture of the inside of Walt's DL apartment was in the August, 1963, edition of National Geographic, showing Walt, his wife, and two of their grandchildren in the apartment (wide-angle-lens shot).

Later interior pics of the DL apartment above the fire station were published in the official Disney Magazine (in the 90's), although I no longer have that specific copy.

There was also a tour of Walt's Apartment on the E! cable channel about 5 years ago - with Paul Pressler serving as the tour guide, IIRC. :eek:

(Oh, my favorite relaxation spots were Tom Sawyer Island - the benches by the end of the floating bridge - and the old Motor Boat queue area in Fantasyland. They turned it into the Matterhorn queue? Sigh...:( )

rexfarms
08-29-2001, 01:24 PM
I have never seen the Motor Boat queue...can somebody tell me where it is at?

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 02:35 PM
It was called fantasia gardens for a while, its this little bit of path that is covered by a canopy that goes across most of that pond across from the Matterhorn, to the left of where Autopia goes "off road" and to the right of fantasyland's parade route.