PDA

View Full Version : Registration now open for Art of Frankenweenie AP preview - 9/13

AVP
09-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Disney just opened registration (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/news/art-of-frankenweenie-exhibit-preview-for-passholders/?CMP=SOC-DLRUSENFY12Q2FBDM0448) for the AP preview of the Art of Frankenweenie exhibit on September 13. The preview is offered in 20-minute slots starting at 8:00pm and running through 11:40pm; the 8:00 slot seems to already be sold out.

I got two spots in the 8:20 slot. I'm not enough of a fan to shell out the $290 for the dinner event, but I'm definitely interested to hear all about the event from anyone who does go.

AVP

olegc
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
10:20 slot for me.

Kuzcofan
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Me and my wife will be there at 8:00pm. :) First one through the doors and buying out everything they have so no one else can see it. hehehehehehe. (As if I could afford more then 1-2 items)

tea4two
09-05-2012, 08:56 PM
We'll be there at 9:00. :)

xeudaemonic
09-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Woah, those times went so quickly. The only time slot open for me and 2 other guests was 11:40-12:00am! Totally excited though!

tea4two
09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Just curious, is anyone else going?

olegc
09-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Just curious, is anyone else going?

i'll see you leaving when I get there ;-)

Shortpix77
09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Couldn't take off work :-( I'll be seeing it on Sunday though! Tell us how it is!

cstephens
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
My reservation is at 9:20.

Kuzcofan
09-13-2012, 09:43 PM
My wife and I just got back. Really enjoyed seeing the movie sets. It was incredible to see all the details in miniature.
The special food they sale is called Frank & Weenie. It is a sausage wrapped in bacon covered with bbq sauce and onions, did not try it though, sorry. They had a special drink too which is lemonade with grape and berry flavoring added, also did not try. I think they are going to sale the food through out the preview too, but not 100% sure.
We got in line for the movie sets just before 8:00, fifth ones in or so. (We also saw Don Hahn walking around and someone else who might've been Winona Ryder but not sure about that.)
The CM at the door didn't really look at the time on the confirmation paper (they did ask for it) I don't think they kept track of the times, there were a lot of people in there at 8:00. They did check for wristbands and annual passes though. We looked around the sets for about 15 minutes or so, then we went to look at the merchandise. The sparky doll was already sold out. A CM said someone bought a whole bunch of them right away. They are probably on Ebay already.
We then went to the 4D preview. Really enjoyed it looking forward to the movie. Then we walked around a little. The Mad T Party was going on and Monsters Inc and TOT was open. All the shops on BVS were closed.
It was a fun night glad we were able to go. Hopefully there will be more of these special Disney AP parties.

tea4two
09-13-2012, 11:57 PM
We had fun, too. Loved the exhibit. The CMs checked our registration for the time, and the queue was quite organized. Last year we saw the Tim Burton exhibit at LACMA, so this little exhibit brought back good memories. The LACMA exhibit had a monitor which showed the original "Frankenweenie," so we were really looking forward to the preview showing at the Muppetvision Theater. The 4D effect was fun. And even more fun, we got to meet Don Hahn (he sat in front of us). He was very kind and chatted with us for a bit. Too bad about the merchandise -- it was pretty limited, and when people found out that the Sparky doll was gone already, they were upset. A CM did say that an "emergency order" had gone out for more Sparky dolls, so there should be more in stock soon. Of course, I had been hoping for a Mr. Whiskers doll or pin, but there didn't seem to be anything like that. Agree with Kuzcofan, we hope Disney has more of these special AP events!

olegc
09-14-2012, 06:46 AM
I had the 1020 slot so I think the small crowd was even smaller. The lemonade was actually very good - the stark grape syrup with the lemonade was really unique. though at almost $5.00 I think my specialty drink habit will be ending soon. By that time I noticed many leftover specialty weenie in the carts just sitting there. I noticed some people received paper fans with faces of characters but did not know where they came from. I too was bummed they were out of Sparky's - I'll have to come back and find one. That size plush is perfect for my collection.

The sets inside were very unique - though the small queue that develops to see the creature and main character miniatures and costumes is a long wait (how many times do you need to retry your photo - ITS A PHONE - take one or two and let others enjoy). I noticed when I took some pics of the miniatures they kind of come out looking like scenes from the film. The lighting in the boxes helps with that I guess.

The 4D effect in the preview were really great and fit nicely in the presentation. Seeing Mad T Party so empty was kind of different. I think these AP or specialty events (like the Verizon Star Tours event) either need a few more walk-around activities or things to do or expand the attractions. I don't think the whole park should be opened but for me ToT is not rideable and Monster's Inc is a one timer. Oh well - I still had fun and hope everyone else did as well.

On a side note - I was VERY surprised and happy that the DTD music loop at 11pm or so was Big Band Crooner music -Frank Sinatra, etc. - great tunes that deserve a spot more than once or twice in the loop.

tea4two
09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
...On a side note - I was VERY surprised and happy that the DTD music loop at 11pm or so was Big Band Crooner music -Frank Sinatra, etc. - great tunes that deserve a spot more than once or twice in the loop.

We've noticed that, too, and think it's a great way to end a Disney visit.