PDA

View Full Version : Radiator disappointment [ride breakdowns]

Pages : [1] 2

mickeylove
08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Does this ride ever work? It has been down more the last two days than open. What is the glitch?

Malcon10t
08-29-2012, 06:15 PM
When we were there a couple weekends ago, was told they have gotten a lot of glitches out, including being able to make faster restarts (15 mins instead of an hour.)

DwarfPlanet
08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
History usually shows most rides have these teething problems (not counting Rocket Rods of course). Running the ride in test during development and working the bugs out is totally different than running the ride fully operational.

lovechows
09-04-2012, 02:39 AM
We have tried going on this ride so many times (including the expensive AP previews and early entry events) and almost every time, the ride has been broken down so that it's either been unavailable while we were at DCA or the wait times have been 2+ hours. Even the fast pass lines have been over an hour because the ride keeps going down and the cast members aren't enforcing the times even if the ride went down sometime during the day.

We've tried several times the last two weeks (when supposedly the problems were resolved) and have had the same result. Especially considering the record heat we've been experiencing, this has been very difficult for us (both my husband and I have medical problems and can't be in the sun). We're now both so disappointed--now disgusted with the whole experience that what was a wonderful day at Disneyland yesterday turned into a horrible day at the end because of another bad time at RSR.

Disney obviously was't ready to open RSR and did it for the $$. In our opinion, they should have waited until they'd really completed and tested the ride. After talking to cast members who had our experiences in the very limited CM previews, clearly, Lassiter and the rest of TDA made a mistake in opening June 15. My husband's so angry that his love of Disney is gone and he's not renewing the AP he's had for 10 years. I'm so disappointed that I'm not going back to DCA. Our advice: wait until they work the bugs out. And hopefully this won't be like Rocket Rods.

Malcon10t
09-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Friday we were able to walk on using Fastpass. We tried Sunday, but we left our fastpasses til just before closing and the FP line was 45 mins (it was out past Luigi's.) We skipped it then, but had a blast on Mater's.

Just Believe
09-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm going this Friday to specifically go on RSR and would like to know the probability of it breaking down

Malcon10t
09-04-2012, 09:00 AM
They rarely have the big break downs any more (that I have seen, Space Mountain has been worse) but they do have the 15 min break downs every few hours, which mainly causes the FP line to back up. We were stuck in the tire shop for about 5 mins one ride this weekend, but it was limited to 5 mins.

AnotherJenny
09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
They rarely have the big break downs any more (that I have seen, Space Mountain has been worse) but they do have the 15 min break downs every few hours, which mainly causes the FP line to back up. We were stuck in the tire shop for about 5 mins one ride this weekend, but it was limited to 5 mins.

We don't even really know what causes the break downs, it could even be guests losing items on the track, and not really the ride at all. I don't really mind most of the time a ride breaks down while we're on it, especially "dark" rides. It's sometimes fun to get a little view "behind-the-scenes." But I will say, the ride stopped on the racers when we were right by the harvester, yea, they eventually turn off the sound, but I'd rather not stop there. But then... on the same ride we also stopped in Ramone's. It turns out, I'd rather not be stuck in the stinky room more than I'd rather not be stopped next to the noisy part. My sister was in another car, and she said they were stopped just outside the tire shop, the entire time, and we passed behind her racer going into Ramone's. But anyway, we got to race without stopping, so it was all good. We did decide not to go back when our FP time arrived, we gave them away to a couple from Australia with single day tickets. I hope they got a smooth ride.

Just Believe
09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
This all reassuring for the most part. Im excited none the less to experience this new land! :)

quackinup
09-05-2012, 02:24 AM
We don't even really know what causes the break downs, it could even be guests losing items on the track, and not really the ride at all.

Probably 4 out of the 6 times I rode RSR I saw a hat or something along the track so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case at times.

kikid
09-05-2012, 06:07 AM
We have tried going on this ride so many times (including the expensive AP previews and early entry events) and almost every time, the ride has been broken down so that it's either been unavailable while we were at DCA or the wait times have been 2+ hours. Even the fast pass lines have been over an hour because the ride keeps going down and the cast members aren't enforcing the times even if the ride went down sometime during the day.

We've tried several times the last two weeks (when supposedly the problems were resolved) and have had the same result. Especially considering the record heat we've been experiencing, this has been very difficult for us (both my husband and I have medical problems and can't be in the sun). We're now both so disappointed--now disgusted with the whole experience that what was a wonderful day at Disneyland yesterday turned into a horrible day at the end because of another bad time at RSR.

Disney obviously was't ready to open RSR and did it for the $$. In our opinion, they should have waited until they'd really completed and tested the ride. After talking to cast members who had our experiences in the very limited CM previews, clearly, Lassiter and the rest of TDA made a mistake in opening June 15. My husband's so angry that his love of Disney is gone and he's not renewing the AP he's had for 10 years. I'm so disappointed that I'm not going back to DCA. Our advice: wait until they work the bugs out. And hopefully this won't be like Rocket Rods.

Wow!!!

leota's necklace
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
We're now both so disappointed--now disgusted with the whole experience that what was a wonderful day at Disneyland yesterday turned into a horrible day at the end because of another bad time at RSR.
.... My husband's so angry that his love of Disney is gone and he's not renewing the AP he's had for 10 years. I'm so disappointed that I'm not going back to DCA. Our advice: wait until they work the bugs out. And hopefully this won't be like Rocket Rods.

Everyone has to decide when the AP loses its value for them, of course, but this sure sounds extreme. To allow one's experience at one attraction to overwhelm everything else two parks have to offer for the rest of your visit, and all year long, seems disproportionate. I would like to experience the Racers but 1) I don't do well outside in heat and 2) I don't like Disneycrowds, so I am waiting to visit until 1) it's cooler and 2) the crowds die down or settle into patterns. Ariel had unbelieveable lines when it opened and now it's a walk-on. Toy Story can be managed if you know when to go. Indy is finicky (due to its complexity) and you just have to roll with it, and yet I haven't heard people tearing up their AP's over that.

I can see being hot and frustrated, but wow. But again, everyone makes their own decisions about value.

Shortpix77
09-05-2012, 07:36 AM

That sure is a lot of bad luck in a row, but I'm not sure I agree with the overall assessment of the ride not being ready and it being just for the $$ -- I've been on RSR upwards of 20 times now, between AP previews, media day, and a few trips with first-thing-in-the-morning FP's, and I've only had it break down on me once while we were in line, and that lasted somewhere between 10-15 minutes. I've had to wait 45 minutes in the FP line, but that was the worst. Two other times the FP line was less than 15 minutes of waiting.

From my experience, this has been NOTHING like Rocket Rods. I vividly remember the three times we braved the line for that ride, and it literally broke down for an hour each time we were in line. That ride was put on a track that wasn't meant to house a fast ride, whereas RSR was not a conversion from something else.

I feel for you guys with the long lines and not being able to be in the sun, but hopefully one ride doesn't end up souring your whole Disney impression.

Malcon10t
09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
That sure is a lot of bad luck in a row, but I'm not sure I agree with the overall assessment of the ride not being ready and it being just for the $$ -- I've been on RSR upwards of 20 times now, between AP previews, media day, and a few trips with first-thing-in-the-morning FP's, and I've only had it break down on me once while we were in line, and that lasted somewhere between 10-15 minutes. I've had to wait 45 minutes in the FP line, but that was the worst. Two other times the FP line was less than 15 minutes of waiting.

From my experience, this has been NOTHING like Rocket Rods. I vividly remember the three times we braved the line for that ride, and it literally broke down for an hour each time we were in line. That ride was put on a track that wasn't meant to house a fast ride, whereas RSR was not a conversion from something else.

I feel for you guys with the long lines and not being able to be in the sun, but hopefully one ride doesn't end up souring your whole Disney impression.This has been my experience also. I guess I have been very fortunate. I have rode numerous times, and we had it break down only once while on it, and once as we approached. FP is usually walk on most of the day, but the evening can get bad. Friday, we walked the FP line and were in a car in under 3 mins. SUnday night, they closed Stand By about 9pm because the FP line was over an hour!

gibson510
09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
The ride system for RSR is using cutting edge technology that is extremely complicated. It's probably one of the most sophisticated ride systems Disney has ever used. What exactly causes the "glitch" or "bug" can be extremely difficult to figure out and sometimes these problems don't present themselves until the ride system has a chance to carry the load of a full operating day. It may take weeks or months. One can only imagine the amount of stress due to the high demand of this ride in the past few months. Disney doesn't advertise this fact, because that would be bad PR. But that's just the nature of technology.

I went in late June on one of the AP early morning entries and it was already broken down. We got Fastpasses and came back in the afternoon and it broke down again so we decided to sit in the shade at the outdoor tables at Flo's so we could see when it re-opened. After about 15-20 minutes the ride opened and we waited all of about 10 minutes in the Fastpass line. A little forbearance can go a long way when it comes to enjoying this great addition to DCA.

amelialourdes
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I've been waiting for crowds to die down and this ride to work out its kinks so I'm going to try it out this Saturday. How has the wait for the single rider line been like? Are fast passes still running out as soon as the park opens? Thanks, everyone!

hefferdude
09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
To allow one's experience at one attraction to overwhelm everything else two parks have to offer for the rest of your visit, and all year long, seems disproportionate.

Absolutely. My negative experience with RSR breaking down and the CM Supervisor doing guard duty on the FP wait line ( another post ) put me in a very bad mood which was very unfortunate.
My DW and I were here to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary. I might have spoiled it but my DW kept kindly telling me to let it go. It became our challenge to make the day that
much better and it worked ! ( Couldn't get rid of the heat and humidity though :cool: )

Mom2
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
We have been on several times. Once we waited in line for a couple hours for it to break down right before getting on. They said it would be a couple hours, an hour at minimum. The ride was back up and running in less than 30 minutes. Another time we rode the ride without music or sound in the car which was kind of disappointing especially for the cruising part at the beginning on the way to the waterfall. I am sure eventually they will get all the kinks out. I am really not too surprised by it breaking down so oftern though, as a new ride and how hard they have been running it, with literally thousands upon thousands riding it every day practially non-stop.

Drince88
09-07-2012, 05:42 AM
The ride system for RSR is using cutting edge technology that is extremely complicated.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing - but it seemed VERY similar to Test Track in Epcot. Is it really that different? Can RSR operate in the rain? Test Track has to close down when it gets to a certain point.

shna
09-07-2012, 10:30 AM
I've been waiting for crowds to die down and this ride to work out its kinks so I'm going to try it out this Saturday. How has the wait for the single rider line been like? Are fast passes still running out as soon as the park opens? Thanks, everyone!
I went on Tuesday. Park hours were 10-8. I think I got there a little before 1pm and the FPs were all gone (though I have no idea how quickly they went). I went to the single rider line at about 1:20pm and only had to wait about 20 minutes (regular stand-by line was 80 minutes, according to the sign).

AnotherJenny
09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I was there Tuesday August 21st and the FPs were out at 9:40. I asked around and was told they ran out around 9am. I was there for early entry on Saturday August 25th and at 7:15 the line for FP was already back to Carthay. I don't remember what the regular queue was, but for early entry single rider was under 10 minutes. I probably only waited about 15 on that Tuesday. In fact, I've done single rider 6 times now and the only time I waited over 40 minutes was on opening day when the ride was down.

smartlabelprint
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
We did decide not to go back when our FP time arrived, we gave them away to a couple from Australia with single day tickets. I hope they got a smooth ride.

That was very kind! I'm sure you made their day better. :)

smartlabelprint
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Toy Story can be managed if you know when to go.

I can see being hot and frustrated, but wow. But again, everyone makes their own decisions about value.

When's this? :p

Berit76
09-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Not sure if this response should be in the "magical memories thread" or this one.... A week after Carsland opened we used our magic morning to ride the highly anticipated RSR. When we were let in I grabbed my son (8 yrs old) and daughters (11 yrs old) hand and began the "hurried" walk. I was pushed into one of those metal poles with the chain and luckily my hand (ouch) caught the brunt of it (I am still thinking at this point, the injury is worth it!). We get to the line and make our way, right as we are next in line to load up the ride breaks down. We decided to wait, we wait, we wait some more (2 hours and 45 minutes we wait).... no ride. I looked down and my 8 year-old has tears in his eyes (he was tired and yes a bit emotional). I was frustrated, by now the the entire park was open. I had no fast pass and we basically did not get to take advantage of the ride. Later that day (here is the good part) my daughter took a nap at the hotel (we had friends traveling with us who watched her) while I told my son we would wait the 2 hours for single rider (yes, single rider). We made our way up to the RSR line and the CM said single rider line was closed for awhile and to check back.... Disappointed we walked away as a young (pregnant) mom and her husband said "Do you guys want these?".... 2 FAST PASSES GOOD ANYTIME! YES!! Turned around and within 40 minutes (yes, it was a crowded day) my son and I FINALLY enjoyed the ride. Afterwards we walked over to Clarabelle's for a treat and the lady at the cash register rang a bell and said we were the customer of the hour (or something like that) and gave my son a "Trolley Sundae" for FREE (not used to anything being free at Disney). Bottom line, a magical experience from a bad experience.

candles71
09-08-2012, 07:44 PM
When's this? :p
We found the day before Carsland was a good day. ;) 5 minute wait. I didn't think that wheel went that low for that ride. :p
We only ever wait about 30 minutes for it, 40 at most. 20 at least.