PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort eliminating short term parking lot on Harbor, adding taxi stand

AVP
08-24-2012, 07:37 AM
The 15 minute parking lot near the Harbor pedestrian entrance will close September 4th for construction. When it reopens September 7th, the parking spots will be gone, replaced with three lanes of traffic - a center pass-through lane, and two outside lanes used for loading and unloading. Disney is also adding a taxi stand to this location (currently taxis are only available from Downtown Disney and from the Disneyland Resort Hotels).

The purpose of the 15 minute lot was supposedly so guests could make a quick trip to the ticket booths. With the elimination of this lot, I wonder if they'll re purpose the Downtown Disney valet kiosk to sell tickets again, or if they just expect folks will park in Downtown Disney and walk to the ticket booths.

Adrienne

Drince88
08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I always see taxis waiting next to Harbor on the side without the cross walk across Harbor. Was that not a valid taxi stand and they were waiting for people who specifically called them individually?

bennette
08-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Drats. We use that all the time.

currence
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The purpose of the 15 minute lot was supposedly so guests could make a quick trip to the ticket booths. With the elimination of this lot, I wonder if they'll re purpose the Downtown Disney valet kiosk to sell tickets again, or if they just expect folks will park in Downtown Disney and walk to the ticket booths.

Adrienne

With so many people now able to buy tickets online, I wonder how many guests used for temporary lot for a quick trip to the ticket booths? When I last used it we went there to pick up our kids after MouseAdventure and it seemed that it was mostly used by people being picked up from work.

I hope that they don't do anything to change the ease of dropping off/picking up employees. I would think that they would want to do what they could to encourage employees to use alternative transportation that did not require them to park a car on property.

AVP
08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
The area will still be used for drop offs when it reopens, so CMs won't be impacted.

heatherya
08-24-2012, 09:13 AM
we used to use that lot too...dh would take our kids back to the hotel to get the car to let me do some last minute shopping, and then i'd walk out and meet him there before we started the road trip home.

Malcon10t
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I always see taxis waiting next to Harbor on the side without the cross walk across Harbor. Was that not a valid taxi stand and they were waiting for people who specifically called them individually?They stopped allowing taxis in there some time ago, you had to go to DTD parking to get a taxi.

Drince88
08-24-2012, 09:25 AM
They stopped allowing taxis in there some time ago, you had to go to DTD parking to get a taxi.

Good to know. (I was last there in April 2011, so it's been a while since I was there!) But I WAS thinking about going there to get one on my next trip! I'm glad I won't do that now!!

AnotherJenny
08-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I've used that lot for a quick trip to lost and found and to replace a lost AP before going to the parking structure, amongst other things. Sometimes if the security lines were long, 15 minutes was pushing it, so from an enforcement standpoint I could see where issues might arise. Also, I think most people who don't frequent the parks don't really know about it. I'll miss it, but I guess I'll just use the Toy Story lot, except for the lost AP scenario.

Drince88
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I would think the ticket line being long would be a problem for 15 minutes, too!

Malcon10t
08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
I would think the ticket line being long would be a problem for 15 minutes, too!I've done it many times in the afternoon/evening, never had a problem. Only first thing in the AM is there an issue.

bennette
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Goodness, I can make a Sephora return from there in the allotted time, let alone a simple booth transaction!

But mostly my husband or a friend is meeting me or vice versa for a trip when we're meeting up for a bit.

currence
08-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Goodness, I can make a Sephora return from there in the allotted time, let alone a simple booth transaction!

But mostly my husband or a friend is meeting me or vice versa for a trip when we're meeting up for a bit.

Wow - I so loathe Harbor Blvd that I would rather park in the DTD lot for most short-term issues than deal with the pedestrian traffic on Harbor. I've only been once or twice when DTD was full, and then they parked us in the Mickey & Friends' surface lot for free.

bennette
08-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Wow - I so loathe Harbor Blvd that I would rather park in the DTD lot for most short-term issues than deal with the pedestrian traffic on Harbor. I've only been once or twice when DTD was full, and then they parked us in the Mickey & Friends' surface lot for free.

And I'd do just about anything to avoid the loud crush that is DTD (which is somehow completely different than any loud crush at Disneyland, excepting, perhaps, the after fireworks crowd).

olegc
08-24-2012, 11:02 PM
if I have to use DTD - I have to enter the parking area, turn amongst all the cars and go down near Rain Forrest - then come back through. if the lot is very busy - and closed (like tonight -friday - how do I pick up people at the designated spot next to rainforest - when we don't know whether its available to enter or not.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work out - just that it makes things less sure on very busy nights.

danyoung
08-26-2012, 04:27 PM
The purpose of the 15 minute lot was supposedly so guests could make a quick trip to the ticket booths.

While some folks did use the lot for the above purpose, it's always been my understanding (and of course I could be wrong) that this was a pick-up and drop-off lot for CMs. I've used the lot many times while waiting for my brother to get off work. And while waiting I've seen many CMs being dropped off or picked up. If it can still be used for that purpose, then that's a good thing. If not, I'm not sure where this can easily be accomplished near the main entrance.

Malcon10t
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
While some folks did use the lot for the above purpose, it's always been my understanding (and of course I could be wrong) that this was a pick-up and drop-off lot for CMs. I've used the lot many times while waiting for my brother to get off work. And while waiting I've seen many CMs being dropped off or picked up. If it can still be used for that purpose, then that's a good thing. If not, I'm not sure where this can easily be accomplished near the main entrance.I think it can still be used that way, except you won't be able to park and wait. It will probably be similar to airports where you can pull over to load, then pull out to exit. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

danyoung
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
The way it was worked great, with me pulling and and waiting for my brother, who would show up within 10 to 15 minutes. The new way, we've just about gotta pick an exact time and both be there at that time. Not as good for us!

Malcon10t
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
The way it was worked great, with me pulling and and waiting for my brother, who would show up within 10 to 15 minutes. The new way, we've just about gotta pick an exact time and both be there at that time. Not as good for us!I would pick the kids up the same way, but usually they would let me know as they exited the turnstile, and I would get there just after they arrived at the lot. I know the lot was often full, so this might help. And I think a lot of people hated walking out to DTD to get a cab. Having it at the 5 min lot should really help.

ShelbyH
08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
As far as being a pickup for CMs, the one problem I see is that it's pretty difficult to turn around and try again. It's not like and airport where you can just drive in circles forever. It's an inconvenience. But I think the taxi stand is a great addition, so I can see the need.

Malcon10t
08-27-2012, 11:08 AM
As far as being a pickup for CMs, the one problem I see is that it's pretty difficult to turn around and try again. It's not like and airport where you can just drive in circles forever. It's an inconvenience. But I think the taxi stand is a great addition, so I can see the need.Actually, you turn right out of the parking area, drive 1/2 block and pull back in.... Short, and I can see it causing a back up if people aren't moving...

ralfrick
08-28-2012, 05:28 AM
So I guess no more pizza deliveries to the lot anymore (haven't done it, but have seen it).

A bientot.

jMom
09-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Good to know. I had to use this lot on our last trip to straighten out my AP renewed online before the prices increased. I also had to get a new Disney Rewards card and load it. When I asked a CM about the 15 minute time limit, they responded that it was a rather elastic time limit. This was fortunate because it took a while to unglitch my online order and process the renewal of my AP.

It was such a big help because I had the kids and no adult help. I had to bring them with me the day before we planned to hit the parks and we were on our way to a family gathering elsewhere. I'm rather bummed it's going away.

Just Believe
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Add Content

corona
09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Will the entrance still be further down Harbor Blvd than the exit?
If anyone has the opportunity to take some photos when these lanes are open, please post them.