PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland extends Candlelight to 20 nights in 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Just announced on the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/an-early-holiday-gift-for-disneyland-guests-twenty-nights-of-disneyland-candlelight-ceremony-performances-scheduled-for-2012/):

The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/candlelight-in-motion-at-disneyland-park/) has been a Disneyland Resort (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0002) tradition since 1958, bringing holiday magic to Main Street, U.S.A. (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/main-street-usa/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0001), with the help of celebrities like Cary Grant, John Wayne, Dick Van Dyke and, in 2011, Gary Sinise.

This holiday season – for the first time in its history – the Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is being extended to a total of 20 nights at Disneyland (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0003) park, with two performances each night. The first two nights, December 1-2, will be invitation-only events; however, performances from December 3-20 will be open to Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0004) and guests booking special, to-be-announced dining packages for the 2012 holiday season.
The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is a beautiful evening performance of beloved holiday music and the telling of the first Christmas Story in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. The first performance was in 1958 and has continued every year since. These classic performances touched off another tradition at the Walt Disney World Resort (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0005) – the popular Candlelight Processional (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/special-events/candlelight-processional/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0006) at Epcot (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY12Q4EarlyHolidayGiftDLGuestsTwentNightsCand lelight15-08-12@0007).

These are all the details we have at this time, but stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/) for more information on registration for Annual Passholders and booking for the new dining packages. We’ll share more details on the 2012 Candlelight Ceremony and Processional at Disneyland park as they become available.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/an-early-holiday-gift-for-disneyland-guests-twenty-nights-of-disneyland-candlelight-ceremony-performances-scheduled-for-2012/

The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional has been a Disneyland Resort tradition since 1958, bringing holiday magic to Main Street, U.S.A., with the help of celebrities like Cary Grant, John Wayne, Dick Van Dyke and, in 2011, Gary Sinise.
This holiday season – for the first time in its history – the Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is being extended to a total of 20 nights at Disneyland park, with two performances each night. The first two nights, December 1-2, will be invitation-only events; however, performances from December 3-20 will be open to Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders and guests booking special, to-be-announced dining packages for the 2012 holiday season.
The Candlelight Ceremony and Processional is a beautiful evening performance of beloved holiday music and the telling of the first Christmas Story in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. The first performance was in 1958 and has continued every year since. These classic performances touched off another tradition at the Walt Disney World Resort – the popular Candlelight Processional at Epcot.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Gmta!

Drince88
08-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow, that's just great. I'm so glad they're expanding it so more people get to enjoy it!

Going to make traffic on Main Street 'interesting' for the whole month, though! I wonder if next year they'll move it to the Fantasyland Theater (or is that too small for the size of the choir?)

tea4two
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
CP is a holiday tradition for us! We're really excited about this news. :)

I remember seeing CP several times in the Fantasyland Theater (where the Princess Fantasy Faire was, right?) years ago. One year the narrator was John Tesh, another year it was Edward James Olmos. The choir fit on the stage just fine, but the audience line stretched back into Toontown, and there were problems with non-ticket holders trying to cut in.

Niwel
08-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Darn - that'll mess with the evening Holiday Time Tour.

olegc
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I may actually go this year if I have the funds - since most likely a weeknight will be available instead of a weekend.

Though I wonder about Main St. as well - so many nights of disrupting the flow of Main St. - I wonder if indeed they will put this back in the Fantasyland theater instead. This way all of the stage elements, lighting, risers, etc. will be able to stay installed and available - instead of blocking off the Train station and Town Square for 20 nights.

Which then probably means the special invitation only event may indeed be on Main St. - since that fits the old model of 2 nights. We shall see.

Hannahbelle
08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I am really excited. I hope they do Saturday nights!!! Now to see if we can swing a So Cal trip before WDW! I hope they keep it on Main Street even though I know that will be a huge crowd flow nuisance. This has always been something that I've wanted to do. Now maybe we can make it happen.

Autopia Guy
08-15-2012, 11:56 AM
And the next most important question - Does this mean no corndog wagon for 20 nights? :p

This is an interesting announcement. I look forward to further info. And if it does end up back in the theater for most of the run, I hope they still run the processional through the park, preferabally from Main Street then.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I am really excited. I hope they do Saturday nights!!! Now to see if we can swing a So Cal trip before WDW! I hope they keep it on Main Street even though I know that will be a huge crowd flow nuisance. This has always been something that I've wanted to do. Now maybe we can make it happen.

It's every night from the 1st to the 20th according to the blog. 1st and 2nd are invitation only, 3rd-20th for AP holders and guests with dining packages.

John
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Can someone tell me how this works? I'm planing to visit Dec 18-20. Does the park close early or stay open late those days or is the CP something that occurs during normal park hours?

danyoung
08-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I've always wondered why they only did this on a night or two, when it's so popular all through December in Epcot. Excellent news!

tea4two
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Can someone tell me how this works? I'm planing to visit Dec 18-20. Does the park close early or stay open late those days or is the CP something that occurs during normal park hours?

Candlelight Processional occurs during normal park hours. There are 2 shows per evening (usually around 5 PM and 8 PM). Traditionally it is held in front of the train station in Town Square, and the choirs process down Main Street toward the station. There is a stage, with risers for the choir, set up in front of the station. There are benches set up in the center section of Town Square -- lately these benches have been reserved for VIPs and those with ticket packages. Stand by viewers can view from the area around the benches. The park does not close early or stay open beyond regular operating hours. There is no need, since CP only occupies Town Square and part of Main Street. Many guests in other parts of DL don't even know about this or that it is happening. If you do a search for Candlelight Processional Disneyland, you should be able to find posts with photos of last year's event. That will give you a better idea of what takes place. Also, there are videos of CP on YouTube.

Jodi
08-15-2012, 06:01 PM
"...performances from December 3-20 will be open to Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders and guests booking special, to-be-announced dining packages for the 2012 holiday season."

Maybe I am reading too much in to this, but I think this could be read two different ways:

(annual Passholders) and (guests booking special packages). Or

(annual Passholders and guests) booking special packages.

I hope that makes sense. :geek:

But, overall, I'm really excited about this!

Teddi
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Wow. Did hear Lutz musing about any of this! I have to wonder why and how this impacts logistics. That's a lot of dates. I wonder how pricey these will be ??

olegc
08-16-2012, 06:52 AM
@Disneyland on twitter confirmed that all dates are in Town Square. The blog post makes it sounds like the event is only for AP holders and guests who buy packages - but I bet that's only for those wanting to sit in a chair. If its all in Town Square then the public will get to see it.

Still - if they have the electrical cables across much of the streets around Town Square, and the put up those metal covers so you can drive over them, that would probably mean that the Horse Drawn Streetcar will not be operational. Obviously I don't have the exact information but my contact in Ops told me their plans would be "interesting"...

Escape2Disney
08-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't mean to be a downer, but I think 20 nights is excessive. CP has such a large footprint that it'll change how we navigate the park for our entire trip. That's a shame since we're bringing someone who hasn't been in 35 years. Do I think there should be more than 2 nights? Sure! Why don't they just do it on weekends?

Oh well, I'm sure we'll still have a wonderful time! I just have to rethink some of our touring plans.

Drince88
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
I don't know if doing it on weekends only would solve the footprint problem, Escape2Disney -- That would be a lot of labor to dismantle and reconstruct everything each week.

Does Disneyland use community choirs at all, or is it all just cast members? If not, I wonder if going to 20 days will allow/require that to happen.

olegc
08-16-2012, 08:40 AM
The dates coincide perfectly with the blockout calendar - which means the 20th is the last day most passes have open before blockouts for the holiday weeks.

I'm still quite interested how Entertainment thinks Operations is going to handle 20 nights of this. Or if they did not think at all and just announced it and the CMs, and the guests, just will have to deal with it.

houseofmouse
08-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Question, AP holders and guests, like Ap holders and guests they invite or Guests as in the rest who do not have AP's?

Sleeping Beauty's mom
08-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm looking forward to it, I think its a perfect magical idea. It will definitely increase the crowds. I hope they work out the logistics of it though, 20 days can be a stretch especially if Mother Nature intervenes and it begins to pour down rain.

John
08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm not really interested in the CP but was afraid it would cut into 'Park time" during a very short trip.

John
08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Candlelight Processional occurs during normal park hours. There are 2 shows per evening (usually around 5 PM and 8 PM). Traditionally it is held in front of the train station in Town Square, and the choirs process down Main Street toward the station. There is a stage, with risers for the choir, set up in front of the station. There are benches set up in the center section of Town Square -- lately these benches have been reserved for VIPs and those with ticket packages. Stand by viewers can view from the area around the benches. The park does not close early or stay open beyond regular operating hours. There is no need, since CP only occupies Town Square and part of Main Street. Many guests in other parts of DL don't even know about this or that it is happening. If you do a search for Candlelight Processional Disneyland, you should be able to find posts with photos of last year's event. That will give you a better idea of what takes place. Also, there are videos of CP on YouTube.

Thanks for the info! I'm really not interested in the CP but was afraid that it would cut into "Park time" during a short visit.

Blacksheep Uncle
08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
wow...what a horrible idea, it's bad enough Main Street is covered in bleachers and benches one weekend a year, now other than the couple hours a night the show is running it will be an ugly mess the whole month of December...
maybe they should just close all those pesky attractions and just turn the park into a giant venue for shows, parades and fireworks >:-|

I guess once again, I'm "that guy"...sigh...it is funny though, if this was in DCA (coughElecTRONicacough) all the Disney Watchdog types would be crying "bad show", but I guess this is OK?

danyoung
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
The most popular event of the year? The event that always sells out with THOUSANDS of people left out? The event whose Epcot counterpart is always the hit of the season? Yeah, this is bigtime OK!