PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU want in Tomorrowland?

Pages : [1] 2

MusicalMouse
08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Lately I've been obsessed with this topic and noticed some similar threads here and there, but I wanted to ask the question, what truly belongs in Tomorrowland? It's obvious this land needs some attention. Now lets see some at home Imagineering at work! What property would you most like to see in Tomorrowland and where would it go?

Wall-e
Tron
Avengers
Other (specify)

I personally would love some sort of Wall-e dark ride replace EO but I don't see how they could make it work seeing as the movie could be viewed as too controversial for a "great big beautiful tomorrow."
I also would love for a Tron lightcycle ride to replace Autopia but with the subs below and the monorail above I don't see them able to or at least willing to make an Autopia replacement anytime soon.
I think an Avatar attraction done right in what is now Innoventions could be spectacular, but then again, if it's done wrong it could be a disaster so I am hesitant on this one.
As far as the Avengers go, they deserve no place in any of the Disney parks in my mind. Just a flat out no.

Goodnplenty
08-13-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd like to see Wallee somewhere in TL. That looks like a perfect fit. I think your idea of a Wallee dark ride is spot on.

And of course some kind of Tron lightcycle ride would be great. Maybe outfit the cars to have lightcycle handlebar grips as if you were driving it? (like you see in arcades) And every so many feet have "light tunnels" that would light up with neon as you go thru? Maybe the tracks could tunnel and hill over each other and light up so that you see other riders like you are racing them or trying to box them in.....I don't know, just ramblin' here. :)
Or maybe make it like a giant video game like we have at DisneyQuest. Several rows of people on lightcycles trying to box each other in. We have a game like that here but it's about pinball.

GnP

Bytebear
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
The two obvious ones: People Mover back, and move the rockets back to the top of the building. And I know it won't happen, but I really loved the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. I would love to see Star Trek kick out Star Wars.

Cory Gross
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I mentioned all this in the Innoventions thread, but I'll post it again...

My main principle is that Tomorrowland should actually fit its original theme of Science Fiction and science fact...A healthy mix of fictionalized adventure and the excitement of discovery, a high-tech, futuristic parallel to Fantasyland with it's basis in the real world and Disney's own franchises. It should absolutely not be what it has become, which is a vague kind of Universal Studios-style dumping ground for what franchises Disney has bought or licenced.

So, that said, I would keep Space Mountain, the Astro-Orbitor and Star Tours (under duress... In my ideal world, it would be a Star Trek ride instead of a Star Wars ride, since Star Trek actually fits ideals of scientific discovery and optimistic futurism). I would keep Autopia but refurbish the vehicles into clean alternative fuel models. I would also keep the Submarine Voyage but get rid of Finding Nemo, retheming it to Disneynature. All of those screens and projectors would be utilized to show actual footage of wildlife and ocean ecosystems.

While we're at it, I would keep Astro-Blasters but retheme it to Stitch. Basically, you are an agent of the Galactic Order charged with hunting down and "stunning" Dr. Jumba's experiments, in particular Experiment 626. Then about half-way through you meet up with Stitch, switch allegiance and help him fight off Captain Gantu and the Order.

Innoventions is out, and in its place is a permanent Tron attraction. You would enter through the turntable, and the old Tom Morrow introduction part would become a "enter the grid" moment where you're "blasted" by the digitization laser (aka: normal lighting would be in place until there is a flash of light, after which a grid light effect would be projected onto the crowd, which would blink out square by square. When the entire room is dark, the UV lights would come on and you can enter the attraction). Inside on the first floor would be two or three banks of original-style Lightcycle games like those old motocross arcade games, but with 3D screens on the interior, each bank linked together into a single race. There would also be Disk Wars games utilizing motion-tracking Kinnect-style OS. On the second floor would be Flynn's Arcade and an End of Line Club cafe. It would also have other features like interactive floors, probably a souvenir stand, and such.

Oh yes, and I would bring the Peoplemover back. When it hits the new Tron attraction, it would basically slip into the Tron Tunnel. Tronage would be projected on the walls, UV lights would come on and fibre-optic piping would activate on the Peoplemovers, making them look like they're in the Grid.

For an e-ticket, I would realize a plan that was proposed for the remake of Tomorrowland in 1998 but never went ahead. Basically it would involve gutting the basement of Space Mountain, including the theatre, and install a version of Dinosaur that blended with the Primeval World diorama. This Primeval World attraction would be visible from the train, with the gimmick that the time warp from the Dino Institute has bled over and brought the train into the past. The foyer would have some dinosaur skeletons and actual fossils on display. Speaking of displays, I would return the NASA attraction to the space now occupied by the Star Tours' Fastpass machines. Somewhere, perhaps along the Peoplemover, in Star Traders or Red Rockett's Pizza Port I would have a display of Disney Sci-Fi film props (i.e.: from Rocketeer, 20,000 Leagues, Black Hole, John Carter, etc.)

I would reopen Starcade as a DisneyQuest. Also for entertainment, I would bring in actual SoCal DJ's to spin electronica, dubstep, house and other comparable styles of music in the evenings, basically turning Tomorrowland (or at least the space around Tomorrowland Terrace) into a nightly weekend rave. I'd want lots of sound, lots of light, lots of activity... make Tomorrowland the place to be after dark...

Anyways, those are my thoughts. But I am not an Imagineer, so they're not worth much. Whatev's.

Just Believe
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
These ideas are all great and I would honestly love to see these changes. A Wall-E ride and TRON implementation would be really cool and exciting.
I guess I'm only thinking of how CORPORATE Disney would make the changes. They see The Avengers as the highest grossing film in the company's history and want to exploit this franchise. I personally dread the thought of putting Marvel in the parks. BUT... Let's see the reality. Bob Iger made it clear they plan to incorporate Marvel in the parks and Tomorrowland is in need of a face lift. What an opportunity for Disney to act.
Like I said, I would never want anything like this in the sacred Disneyland. But Disney threatened this with Avatar. Let's see how that pans out which may indicate whether something with The Avengers would ever make its way into Disneyland.

Let's wish upon a star all of these terrible ideas of Avatar and The Avengers in Disneyland will crash and burn forever. None the less, let's be cautious and see the possible foreseen reality

Cory Gross
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Oh, yeah, if you want my realistic expectation, Innoventions would become an Avengers meet-n-greet.

zombie pirate
08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
A re-done People Mover
Another Adventures Thru Inner Space, kiss my first girl on that ride
A Skyway to Fantasyland

AND - I said it before, so I will say it again. Bulldoze DCA, and bring back my beloved parking lot, but expand Disneyland into the parking lot, maybe with a new land? I dont ask for much. Maybe even bring back the A-E ticket days, it might cut down on the crowds.

pcrazy99
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
More Star Wars! I could do with Wall-E, I really liked that movie. Maybe Tron but definitely no Avengers or Avatar. Avatar was a terrible movie.

oregontraveler
08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I would like less clutter at the entrance. Moving the Orbitor would be a start.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
What I really would want is America Sings back, but that isn't going to happen :( .

Wedge
08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow, no love for Marvel here huh...

Well, I see things differently and that Marvel could fit into Tomorrowland more than most realize. Also it makes the most sense to me as to where to put some of the characters unless you bulldoze and expand a new land just for Marvel. For starters, you could probably make a really neat Iron Man or Avengers E-ticket type ride in the area if you built the outside and entrance / queue around the Stark Expo. Isn't the vision of Tomorrowland's past basically what the Stark Expo is (Sci-fi and Sci-fact)? Not sure what kind of ride or experience to go from there, but I think it could blend well. Much better than having Hulk in Critter Country :)

To be honest a lot of the Marvel / Avengers crowd would greatly draw / target teens. That demographic already centers at least part of their visit around that area with the other e-tickets so it would seem logical. The downside would be more traffic which could be helped by removing a few things that clutter the walkways (like the people-mover tracks between Star Tours and Buzz).

I know that Autopia and Subs have a long history at the resort and they are childhood favorites of mine, but removing those and Inoventions seems most logical to make room for a larger expansion. Doing that you could even re-claim the old boat dock near small world for further expansion. I don't have a lot of ideas on what to do or what I would like to see as I'm happy with what is there but look forward to more experiences. But I do feel that there is room for change in that area. Excited to see what the Imaginers come up with.

Bytebear
08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I would move Autopia to California Adventure. It fits that theme better now anyway. That opens a lot of land for new rides in Tomorrow land. And add Flynn's arcade to Tomorrowland in a truly themed building. Not just cheap projections.

thedisneylandreport
08-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I know what I DON'T want. I want to keep Marvel out of the park completely. Building a Marvel park is a MUCH better idea. I see a lot of talk for Tron, which I'm all for, but to do that one right, it should be an E-Ticket, and I just don't know where you put a ride of that magnitude in Tomorrowland. Obviously innoventions is a goner in this discussion, and probably the starcade too, but these two pieces are disjointed, and I'm still not sure they provide enough real estate. My personal dream come true would be to incorporate the skyway track in this, but my understanding is that it's basically impossible. The tracks are an OSHA nightmare.

thedisneylandreport
08-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I would move Autopia to California Adventure. It fits that theme better now anyway. That opens a lot of land for new rides in Tomorrow land. And add Flynn's arcade to Tomorrowland in a truly themed building. Not just cheap projections.

actually, it does not. It is a well known fact that there can be no new development on Autopia land as long as the Nemo subs are there. The dark portion of this show is just beneath the Autopia track and would therefore provide no possible foundation. But really, I don't like the idea of doing anything with Autopia anyway. I like it just fine myself. Just upgrade the cars to electric and it would be awesome again. But that won't happen either until Disney can escape from their Chevron sponsorship.

oregontraveler
08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
But really, I don't like the idea of doing anything with Autopia anyway. I like it just fine myself. Just upgrade the cars to electric and it would be awesome again. But that won't happen either until Disney can escape from their Chevron sponsorship.

Actually, Chevron no longer sponsors the attraction. So maybe, they could convert to electric.

JunJunM3
08-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I think it's inevitable that a Stark Expo or Iron Man related attraction will be part of a re-imagined Tomorrowland. The return of the People Mover would be great too. Maybe the new People Mover can resemble those Personalized hovering recliners that people moved around on in the Axiom in the Wall-E movie. Also, I firmly support moving the Astro Orbiter back up on the platform.

bumblebeeonarose
08-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I read something recently, I think it was Al Lutz, speculating that Autopia and the Subs would be removed to allow for additional Tomorrowland land. I think it is in this article http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al073112a.htm Of course, he is not always correct.

sjhanksaz
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I say remove the Carosel of Old Progress, Pizza Plannet and the Shrunk the kids place and make a really cool Avengers themed E ticket ride.

Cory Gross
08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I can tell you why I have no love for Marvel... It's because I'm not a Marvel fan. I don't care one iota about The Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk or any of them. I haven't even bothered to see those movies. I used to collect X-Men back when I was a teenager in the Nineties, but presently I'm a DC Comics guy. In a more perfect world, Disney would own DC and we'd be seeing icons like Superman and Wonder Woman alongside Mickey and Minnie. But alas, we do not live in a more perfect world.

If the Walt Disney Co. wants to buy up Marvel as an IP, that's fine, but keep it to its own brand. When I go to Disneyland, what I want is a Disney brand experience: the products of the Disney Studios and Disney Parks brands. What I don't want is a theme-diluting mish-mash of whatever IP the Walt Disney Co. happens to own. Frankly it's bad enough having Pixar, Lucasfilm and the threat of Avatar already (and to be clear, I like the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but that doesn't need to be an Indiana Jones ride). If I want a discordant mash-up of random licensed franchises that happen to be popular at the moment, I'll go to Universal Studios. At least they have Jurassic Park, Simpsons and Dracula.

The reason why I don't want them in there, besides just not liking them, is that Disneyland is a theme park. It has certain strictures within which it is supposed to opperate, and they're posted right over the entrance: here you leave today and enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy. And, of course, the Disney brand is grafted into its very name. What doesn't accomplish this sensibility actually detracts from the experience. I object to Pixar being in Disneyland because Pixar's setting and sense of humour are, for the most part, very contemporary. They take place in "today," and either way it's not Disney. So does Marvel. It's "today" just getting all up in there and slapping me in the face. Stitch and Tron, for example, can at least be said to have a Sci-Fi otherworldliness to them that obfuscates the contemporary settings (and that is why Star Wars passes the test better than anything Pixar) in addition to actually being Disney brand product.

Were Marvel to be imposed on Tomorrowland - especially at the expense of classics like Autopia and the Submarine Voyage - it would be sufficiently detestable that I would cease to go in Tomorrowland. It wouldn't even rightly BE Tomorrowland anymore. Just call it "Walt Disney Studios Hollywood" and consign ourselves to the dawning reality that Walt Disney's vision of a theme park was just a passing fad, a failed sixty year-long experiment in the otherwise unbroken tradition of cheap amusement parks with superheroes slapped on the sides of their roller coasters.

MadasaHatter
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Interesting thread. I always viewed PIXAR as DISNEY....all of the Disney movies from SNOW WHITE - BRAVE have infused today in each of them. I love the fact that the 7 DWARVES were all old vaudeville players which were still struggling along as this new medium of talking pictures were solidly putting them out of work. Sort of the old guard passing the torch to the new medium. Sleeping Beauty was infused with 1950s icons the shopping ladies for the 3 fairies and Aurora looked like this au courrant doll called Barbie....I think they still make her. Zazu sings "It's a Small World After All." Hercules had call IX-I-I when someone was hurt and the Nike sandals! Brave had the answering machine witch....it just goes on and on.

Technically Marvel IS Disney now.... I love all those movies but do I want to see Marvel in the parks??? Nope. I do think people have lots of good ideas about Marvel though in the parks ....but I would not vote for them.

My favorite rides are still HAUNTED MANSION and POTC... I would really like to see Disney do a new ride COWBOY version of the POTC in FRONTIERLAND and something non-movie specific in TOMORROWLAND either in INNOVENTIONS or the EO space. ( I would like to see a dark space ride of WALL-E though as it would be cool flying around in space like in PETER PAN. ) I'm all for ELECTRIC cars on Autopia. I like FINDING NEMO and think it is very, very cute and a great use of the subs. I would like the People Mover back if it all possible but know that that is a pipe dream. I think the ASTRO BLASTERS have been out-technologied (i made up a word!) by TSMM and wouldn't mind something new in there( I think that TOY STORY has too big of a prescence anyway!).I think the ROCKET JETS need to go back up on top OOH and maybe put a mister at night and project ZORG and shoot at them as you fly around.... Keep SPACE MTN and STAR TOURS. A real restaurant in each land is always my dream with table service but I don't really have an idea this morning.

I think Tomorrowland should be themed more like a LAND with more characters walking around space themed (Mickey and Minnie in space suits) WALL-E zipping around. BUzz LIghtyear works of course! It would be cool if there were buildings or facades to support that like in Adventure/Fantasy/FrontierLANDS. When they re-did Fantasyland in the 80s it raised the bar. Fantasyland looked like a carnival then and now it looks like a LAND. Tomorrowland back then looked like a sort of Expositionland ....a sort of EPCOTty land (I made up another word!). If Innoventions goes there is a lot of space for new stuff if you include the Video Game place and the EO theatre and the PEOPLE MOVER track ( which could be a great INCREDIBLES bubble ride.....OOH darn there I go again theming more films....but how cool would it be to take your face and impose it on super heroes bodies when you enter EDNA's costume shop?? C'mon that is COOL!!!!!!!!)

Ok, getting all frothy....after all I am mad!

dlandnut
08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
What about a sit down restaurant, similar to Blue Bayou, near Nemo. Could serve fish? LOL I'm joking. But serious, a reference was made above that bringing back the PeopleMover was a pipe dream. WHY???

Cory Gross
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Pixar and Marvel are Walt Disney Co., but they are not Disney brand. Walt Disney Co. also owns Touchstone, ABC, ESPN, Muppet Studios, and A&E/Biography/History/Lifetime, but that doesn't mean I care to see a Grey's Anatomy: The Experience! attraction or a Coyote Ugly Makeover Boutique in Tomorrowland. I'm still frankly kinda' weirded out by seeing The Muppets and Nightmare Before Christmas at the resort.

MadasaHatter
08-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Hmmm. I identify Marvel with comic books but I still think that PIXAR is indeed the Disney brand. I always have. Until this thread it never dawned on me that others didn't. But ah well....you all know that I am mad....

bumblebeeonarose
08-22-2012, 04:51 AM
In regards to what is or isn't Disney, some of the best attractions started off with little or no Disney movie ties. Pirates and Haunted Mansion did not originally have movies. Their movies came a long time after the popularity of the rides. Also, the coasters have little to do with movies either. And what about Small World? Personally, I think the Imagineers do a good job of incorporating Disney, half Disney, and no Disney attractions into the parks. I would say, with the exception of Fantasyland, the original park didn't have much tie to movies at all. Perhaps Tomorrowland could focus more on the idea of tomorrow, and less on movies and characters. It isn't likely though as movies/characters equal merchandise opportunities.

John
08-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Perhaps Tomorrowland could focus more on the idea of tomorrow, and less on movies and characters. It isn't likely though as movies/characters equal merchandise opportunities.

Exactly what I was thinking. I want to see more tomorrow in Tomorrowland! I never understood why they removed Mission to Mars. It light of all the unmanned visits it would need some serious upgrading but it was still a vision of the future. (With a nice dose of comedy thrown in.) How about an attraction involving personal jet packs? And bring back the People Mover, even if the old tracks have to be torn down and rebuilt. After all it was part of Walt's vision of the future.