PDA

View Full Version : CA coming into its own?

teach
07-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Looking back on our recent five day trip with my family(wife, 9 yr old and 7 yr old, and myself) I realized we spent just as much time at California Adventure as we did at Disneyland! This surprised me because we didn't really like CA the first time we visited two years ago. On reflection, I think CA has the following going for it:

1) It's top three rides Soarin', Grizzly, and Screaming, matches DL's top three rides

2) good shows (Bug's Life, Millionaire, and most importantly the new Alladin show)

3) better parade: Electrical Parade is pure magic

4) easier access and flow in movement through the park

5) Grizzly peak is a much more attractive landmark than anything DL has

These insights doesn't mean I think CA is perfect, but it has grown on me.If I had only one day at the resort, I would still choose DL over CA, but CA is sure coming along.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-28-2003, 09:34 AM
I'd argue with Grizzly Peak being more attractive than any DL landmark . I'd say that the Castle and the Matterhorn are more attractive landmarks, as are Florida's Castle and Space Ship Earth. I'd say that as attractive landmarks go, Grizzly Peak rates about even with Florida's Tree of Life and Earful Tower.

As to The Parade, we must remember that it's a transplant from DL, put in at the last minute, to provide DCA with something to get guests in the gate. We should all be thankful that DCA's troubled birth saved The Parade from the demolition it was slated for, but it remains a last-minute transplant.

merlinjones
07-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Nah. DCA still sucks.

Anyone notice the sudden gush of July 2003 registered lurkers touting the wonders of DCA over Disneyland in new threads?

teach
07-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Opinions are great, especially backed up with reasoning. Something "Nah. DCA still sucks" lacks. Seems some feel threatened by new ideas and opinions. Feel sorry for such people.

dshimel
07-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by teach

1) It's top three rides Soarin', Grizzly, and Screaming, matches DL's top three rides

I don't think there is a single attraction at DCA as good as Indianna Jones, Pirates, Mansion, Splash, BTMRR, or Space Mt. Certainly not Grizzly and Screamin' that are generic amusement park experiences. You can't ride anything like DLs top rides at any Six Flags park. The ride experience on Screamin' and Grizzly are very much like similar Six Flags rides. Longer, smoother, better maintained maybe, but riding them is very much like a raft ride and a steel looper.

Even if you were correct that DCA's top 3 rides were in the same league as DL's tops 3, what about 4-10? There is lots of room to debate what are DL's top 3 rides are. Any one of 6-8 rides has a legitimate shot of being voted #1 by guests. At DCA, there is a HUGE gap between the top 3, and "the rest".

2) good shows (Bug's Life, Millionaire, and most importantly the new Alladin show)

More a comment about the poor quality of most DL shows than a comment about the quality of DCA. I love Bugs; Muppets is okay. Millionare had 0 repeat value for me. Aladdin would be great if it wasn't such a pain to get in and get a seat. Still, Fantasmic! and Believe are better than anything at DCA. I think Tiki Room compares with DCA's third best show, whatever that might be.

Electric Parade is in DESPERATE need of an update. The newest character in the show is 20+ years old.

Got me on that one. It is pretty easy to move around an empty DCA. DL's crowd control sucks because of FastPass, Tomemptyland, and the crush on Main Street during parades and after fireworks.

5) Grizzly peak is a much more attractive landmark than anything DL has

Again, I have to almost agree. I'd say Grizzly is as attractive as the castle, but more impressive because of the scale. Too bad the ride is nothing more than a chance to get repeatedly dunked in cold water. Not my idea of a fun experinece. Then again, I avoid the parks on the hottest summer days.

disneynut
07-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I agree that DCA is getting better. When we go, we spend our time equally divided between the two parks. DCA offers a different experience than DL. It's not a better or a worse experience, just different. Anyways, teach, I just wanted to say that you are not alone in having DCA grow on you. Also, welcome to the boards!:)

MonorailMan
07-28-2003, 01:20 PM

Beg to differ on this one....

Just because you ride a attration at DCA, well to ride it. There's lack of an immersive experience, and even the greatly themed Grizzly has no real substance, and no real back story.

good shows (Bug's Life, Millionaire, and most importantly the new Alladin show)

While the only one that I would have to aree with on that list is Millionaire (because I'm still a huge Millionaire fan, and I can talk on and on about it, just ask Morrigoon ;) ). I'll take Billy Hill anyday, over Ugly Bug Ball, or even Aladdin.

Well, it was Disneyland's. ;)

Rallymonkey23
07-28-2003, 01:41 PM

Well that does happen when you have alot less people visiting DCA than DL. ;)

RStar
07-28-2003, 03:59 PM
Opinions are great, especially backed up with reasoning. Something "Nah. DCA still sucks" lacks. Seems some feel threatened by new ideas and opinions. Feel sorry for such people.

teach, you may not have seen many of the threads on this subject that merlinjones has posted his feelings on DCA. We are all very well aware of his and some other padders opinions about it. And in fact most of us would rather not have to hash it all out again, but then it leaves others like yourself a bit in the dark. You could do a search and read some of them if you like, but both sides have good points in my opinion.

I too like DCA. Not nearly as much as DL, but more so than the malls. I do feel it could have been done better, but it is also getting better. And I spend as much time at DCA as I do DL. I love California, and am very comfortable at DCA.

So I do agree with you that it is growing on people. But does that make it a good park, or a tolaratable park? And will it become succesfull? And will I ever be able to spell? Those are the important questions of the day!

Rallymonkey23
07-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I too like DCA. Not nearly as much as DL, but more so than the malls.

So ya see teach, when people compair DCA to a mall, something is wrong! :fez:

I too like DCA. They have been trying to get things rolling in the old parking lot, ( I still miss it :( ) It's just going to take time. Alot of time. At least we have TOT to look forward too. And for someone who has never been to WDW, thats a BIG plus!

teach
07-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Disneynut, thank you for the welcome!

dshimel, I have to agree with you that the quality of DCA's rides beyond the first three are pretty thin compared to DL. Reason why DL would be our choice if we only had one day at the resort.

Monorailman, I have to agree with you on the immersive theming of DL's rides, something that is just so wonderful to experience. My kids love seeing the movies and characters come to life and being able to interact within the experience.

Rstar, thanks for the background info and history regarding past discussions.

Looking forward to hearing people's opinions, ideas, and to continue participating in discussions

DopeyWife
07-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Well that does happen when you have alot less people visiting DCA than DL. ;)

But aren't the walkways wider at DCA?

YellowMan
07-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Welcome teach! So nice to see someone with posetive things to say, but also seems to have their head based in reality. I
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Well, it was Disneyland's. ;) And teach never said otherwise. He was just pointing out that, since it's now in DCA, it's a plus over DL now.
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Well that does happen when you have alot less people visiting DCA than DL. It also happens when a park specifically designs larger paths to avoid a crowded feeling. The low crowds just make it feel even less crowded.

CarlieB
07-28-2003, 08:02 PM
DCA has a couple of my favourite rides (GRR & Soarin') and I too like to hang out there and enjoy the space. I agree that it will probably improve over time, but also think that right now, it's still a pretty nice place to spend some time:)

Woodpecker Planet
07-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by dshimel
I don't think there is a single attraction at DCA as good as Indianna Jones, Pirates, Mansion, Splash, BTMRR, or Space Mt. Certainly not Grizzly and Screamin' that are generic amusement park experiences. You can't ride anything like DLs top rides at any Six Flags park. The ride experience on Screamin' and Grizzly are very much like similar Six Flags rides. Longer, smoother, better maintained maybe, but riding them is very much like a raft ride and a steel looper.

<SNIPPED>

Again, I have to almost agree. I'd say Grizzly is as attractive as the castle, but more impressive because of the scale. Too bad the ride is nothing more than a chance to get repeatedly dunked in cold water. Not my idea of a fun experinece. Then again, I avoid the parks on the hottest summer days.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is BTMRR, the Matterhorn perhaps?

And Grizzly and Screamin' are in no way "generic amusement park experiences" and you know that, being an educated fan.

You later go on to say that you don't like getting dunked in cold water, so this shows that you just have a bias against water rides. I don't *get* people not liking water in the hot California or Florida sun. Most summer days, here in Orlando I'm about to pass out, and the water rides are like the greatest thing in the world. Even when it's not that hot, it adds an extra thrill, and that's a big reason we go on these rides in the first place. Just because the "water ride" may not be a traditional Disney ride, doesn't mean it's a cheap amusement park ride. Disney has always been about adding new thrills.

Secondly, Grizzly isn't a generic rapids ride, there is heavy theming going on. Go ride any boring 25 year old rapids ride and then ride Grizzly or Popeye at IOA. Two totally different experiences.

I don't see how California Screamin' is generic either. Is there any other metal coaster that simulates a wood coaster? It was just a stroke of genius in my book. The old fashioned pier theme is great. Again there is heavy theming involved. I know that the Boardwalk Inn is one of my favorite places at WDW. Just because it isn't advertising the latest Pixar film doesn't mean it isn't heavily themed, and you know that. Most people would kill to get something like California Screamin'. It's certainly less generic than a lot of older Disney rides are these days.

DisneyFan25863
07-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Woodpecker Planet
Forgive my ignorance, but what is BTMRR, the Matterhorn perhaps?

Big Thunder Mountian Railroad ;)

laldava
07-29-2003, 09:15 PM
I actually think GRR is pretty impressive. The theming that is there is good, but I think there is plenty of room for more. Although you are getting wet and moving around a lot while on the ride, there should be more to look at, some audio animatronics or some sort of a story would be nice. As it stands its a very good water ride, but it lacks that disney touch. I mean, Splash mountain would probably be just a standard flume ride if it werent for the dark ride elements that add to the experience of getting wet. This same idea should apply to GRR.

As for screamin, well its better than an off the shelf coaster, but it aint all that unique either. In fact I think the pier is the worst section of the park. There is way to much bare concrete there, and the same boardwalk stuff can be found at Knotts and six flags.

I think the hollywood backlot, while the most boring area in the park now, has the most potential. It will be THE place within the park when ToT opens. Not to mention, there's a lot that can be done with the whole hollywood theme as seen by MGM studios.

There are some things that I really like about DCA, and I think it will gradually improve. While the overall theme of the park is weak,in my opinion, with enough thought and imagination, DCA has many possibilties. Also, the park aint goin anywhere anytime soon, so we really have to bank on the various efforts to improve it rather than mope about disney's initial mistakes in designing and building it.

MonorailMan
07-30-2003, 03:17 AM
I think the hollywood backlot, while the most boring area in the park now, has the most potential. It will be THE place within the park when ToT opens. Not to mention, there's a lot that can be done with the whole hollywood theme as seen by MGM studios.

I agree.

I'd personally love to see Drew Carey's "Sounds Dangerous" attraction, to go into HPB. It's not that big, and would be a good contestant for the SSL building. ;)