PDA

View Full Version : New restaurant in Downtown Disney

tikiboy
07-28-2003, 06:58 AM
I was surprised not to see some info in the update today.
In Saturday's Register(Business Section), there was a blurb
about an Italian deli taking over the Y Arriba Y Arriba location.

Is there any more news about when this thing would open?

AVP
07-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Hmmm....

I'll have to check on this. The absolute latest info I had, as of two weeks ago, was that Patina was still planning to open their mexican-theme restaurant in that pad.

I don't want to say that the Register is wrong, but the Italian deli is probably "Napleini", which is supposed to go into the empty Tin Pan Alley location next to the current Naples restaurant. In fact, I believe they have already started to build the wall which will divide the take-out pizza window from the main restaurant, and will eventually be part of the new restaurant area.

I'll have to check with my sources. I'm curious to see what may have changed.

AVP

AVP
07-28-2003, 08:55 AM
OK, maybe I do want to say the Register was wrong. According to my source, the deli is still going into the Tin Pan Alley space. No new update on the Y Arriba Y Arriba space.

AVP

cstephens
07-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by AVP
OK, maybe I do want to say the Register was wrong. According to my source, the deli is still going into the Tin Pan Alley space. No new update on the Y Arriba Y Arriba space.

AVP

Yep, there are walls (really ugly green ones, I must say) up around the old Tin Pan Alley space, and the take-out window at Naples is covered up from the inside. Inside the elevator that takes you up to the second floor of Catal, they have a listing of all the Patina locations, and we noticed a couple of weeks ago that they've added "Napolini" located in Downtown Disney.

And Patina's mexican restaurant in the old Y Arriba Y Arriba space is now scheduled to open in January 2004, but I wish they'd finish their negotiations so they can start doing reconstruction of the exterior.

CarlieB
07-28-2003, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]And Patina's mexican restaurant in the old Y Arriba Y Arriba space is now scheduled to open in January 2004

I'm disappointed that the new Patina restaurant isn't going to open until the New Year - I was looking forward to checking it out in November...nevermind

AVP
07-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
I'm disappointed that the new Patina restaurant isn't going to open until the New Year - I was looking forward to checking it out in November...nevermind Well, you can always wait until your next trip - considering this restaurant was supposed to open in MAY, it may be November 2004 before we really see it. :D

AVP

CarlieB
07-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Well, you can always wait until your next trip - considering this restaurant was supposed to open in MAY, it may be November 2004 before we really see it.

I'm always looking for an excuse to visit the Parks, but this could be pushing it...:D

fredc
07-29-2003, 07:48 AM
I will defend the Register. The artcile in the business section about the new deli did pinpoint the location correctly as the old Tim Pan Alley store next to the Naples restaurant. The article also mentioned the old Y'Ariba site as not having a tenant yet.

AVP
07-29-2003, 08:49 AM
OK, then I don't want to say the Register was wrong, but I'll say Tikiboy misread. :D

AVP

daannzzz
07-29-2003, 09:25 AM
What Kind of Restaurant will thie "Patina" be? I am hoping for a place that has a variety including traditional item and not everything being neuvo latino.

cstephens
08-03-2003, 09:28 PM
There is now a sign on said ugly green wall that announces the name of the coming location to be Napolini, a deli with gourmet grab-and-go items, or some words to that effect. There are also concept drawings of the location's facade and interior.

cstephens
08-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Here's what is being distributed through Patina literature at their restaurants:

"Napolini opening soon at Downtown Disney

We are delighted to announce the opening of Napolini this summer. An Italian deli, this hot new Downtown Disney property is adjacent to Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria. With quick and convenient grab-and-go gourmet items, the delicious spread will include fresh salads, pastas and deli sandwiches. In a hurry? Grab a hot panini sandwich to go, or opt for a spot at our raised countertop-bar. With tables available both inside and outside, you can also take a break from the bustling park and enjoy this charming deli with your friends and family.

Look for our new Pulcinello character frolicking about the streets of Downtown Disney. This mischievous Naples mascot, based on an 18th century classic jester figure, comes bearing treats - tasty pizza samples and colorful balloons."

The mascot thing sounds a bit odd to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what the deli will look like. And given other circumstances, it looks like we'll actually have to give Naples a try.

Oh, and Patina has officially announced their "new Mexican concept" place in Downtown Disney, set to open in 2004. Wonder when Disney will make the official announcement? Guess they still have to agree on a name first... :rolleyes:

CarlieB
08-11-2003, 12:52 PM
With quick and convenient grab-and-go gourmet items, the delicious spread will include fresh salads, pastas and deli sandwiches.

I think this sounds promising. If they have good coffee and some healthy (and tasty) options, they might do quite well. I'm still looking forward to the Mexican restaurant opening though...

hbquikcomjamesl
08-12-2003, 10:05 AM
The mascot thing sounds a bit odd to me.I should think that this mascot would be based on Pulcinella, the Commedia del Arte stock character who was (1) the subject of a really fun suite for chamber orchestra by Stravinsky (yes, fun Stravinsky!), and (2) the character who evolved (or should it be "devolved") into "Punch" from the classic "Punch-and-Judy" puppet shows.

SoCalDisneyLover
08-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Does anybody wonder about the lack of Chinese Food at the Resort? Other than the place in DCA, which is closed so often, I forget the correct name....there is really nada in the way of anything asian themed. Given the amount of Far East people who visit Disneyland, I find this surprising.

I understand the need for a Mexican restaurant, but wish there was a place with Chinese food. I think some Dimsum Appetizers for Take Out, would do wonderful business, as would a more upscale restaurant.

cstephens
08-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
Does anybody wonder about the lack of Chinese Food at the Resort? Other than the place in DCA, which is closed so often, I forget the correct name....

Lucky Fortune Cookery. I'm actually quite sad about what they've done to that place. There's really nothing Chinese there now, unless you count eggrolls. When DCA first opened, they did indeed have a dim sum platter which was very good, and they had two really good noodle soups as well. (I know I wrote some kind of TR about that visit, but I can't seem to find it.) I was pleasantly surprised with how well they'd done with those items, though they were a tad more expensive than what I thought they should be. But they were tasty. And I liked them. So, of course, they took them away. *sigh*

They also had that yucky pseudo-Chinese stuff at Hollywood and Dine, but that's gone now. One of the few times I'm glad something closed.

there is really nada in the way of anything asian themed. Given the amount of Far East people who visit Disneyland, I find this surprising.

Well, there is Yamabuki, the full-service Japanese restaurant at the Paradise Pier hotel.

I understand the need for a Mexican restaurant, but wish there was a place with Chinese food. I think some Dimsum Appetizers for Take Out, would do wonderful business, as would a more upscale restaurant.

While it sounds like a good idea to me, I'm one of those who would prefer no Chinese food at all to bad Chinese food. It's so easy to do bad Chinese food.

SoCalDisneyLover
08-12-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm talking about a Higher Quality chinese food restaurant in DD. Most of the places there are more upscale, so a PF Changs type place would certainly do wonderful. And good chinese food can be fairly pricey, so the profits would be there as well.