PDA

View Full Version : Tahitian Terrace revisited...

olegc
08-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I am on the mailing list for Doombuggies.com (and do not have any other affiliation with them) but apparently they sent an annoucement about an event at the Park in October.

the full post...
"Greetings, ghost fans,

As a member of the DoomBuggies.com mailing list, I thought you might like to be among the first to know about a very special opportunity. On Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012, the Mousetalgia podcast (with which DoomBuggies.com is affiliated) is hosting "An Evening in the Tahitian Terrace," which is a one-night-only re-opening of Disneyland's famed Tahitian Terrace restaurant in Adventureland.

After having been shuttered for nearly two decades, the Tahitian Terraceis going to reappear in all its Polynesian glory, including a dinner show designed by Disneyland's entertainment division to resemble the original show as closely as possible. The menu for the evening will also be inspired by the original food offerings that the Terrace had to
offer, and there will be plenty of island enchantment for all.

Additionally, WED Imagineer Rolly Crump, who worked directly with Walt Disney in the planning and design of Disneyland and the Haunted Mansion, will be speaking about his role in the creation and development of Adventureland and the Tiki Room. We are extremely pleased to be able to offer this rare opportunity to hear from a true Disney legend.

Tickets are $259 per person, and discounted rooms at the Disneyland Resort hotels are available for the weekend. To buy tickets or for more information, visit http://www.mousetalgiastore.com . "

[edit last few lines about HM stuff on their site).

I don't get anything for posting this - and can't afford to go - but I thought there may be padders who miss the ol' Tahitian Terrace and would want to go.

candles71
08-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I had my 8th birthday dinner there. (The next day, my aunt got married on my birthday.) That would be an awesome experience, but we are trying to save for a trip for all and not just moi.

stan4d_steph
08-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I never experienced the Tahitian Terrace, but I would imagine this event is going to be very popular! What a cool idea.

Blacksheep Uncle
08-09-2012, 09:39 AM
boy that is tempting.......

Cory Gross
08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
If I was already going to DL I totally would do that. Maybe if this is a success, they'll consider making it a permanent return. Who knows?

cstephens
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
If I was already going to DL I totally would do that. Maybe if this is a success, they'll consider making it a permanent return. Who knows?

Keep in mind that this is not an official Disney event - it's being run by a third party.

missm
08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh my gosh that would be awesome! My mom took me there during a trip between 6th and 7th grade and I have never forgot how fantastic that place was. Every trip my husband and I go on he has to hear about how cool of a restaurant it was and how much I wish it would reopen. I so wish I was going.

leota's necklace
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Keep in mind that this is not an official Disney event - it's being run by a third party.

Too true, and something about the website made me think "hm, I dunno if I want to give these people over two hundred dollars."

AnotherJenny
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
It shows Disney is willing to rent out the space. That's about all I can think it means for the future.

olegc
08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I seem to recall someone else (doombuggies.com possibly) also had their own private event at Haunted Mansion but I don't recall the details. This could also be a way for Disney to have less to lose should it flop since they are not necessarily putting on the show, they are simply providing space. However, if its very popular, you should bet that they will come up with their own event. Isn't this something George Kalogridis mentioned at D23 Expo?

chefmayhem
08-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Hi - I'm Chef Mayhem, owner of DoomBuggies.com, co-host of Mousetalgia, and a sponsor of the "Evening in the Tahitian Terrace" event.

Yes, for the right amount of money, Disneyland will rent out almost any part of the park. A few years ago, DoomBuggies closed the Blue Bayou for the night and hosted a private party there with a panel discussion with X Atencio, Blaine Gibson, Bob Gurr, and Harriet Burns - and we rented the Haunted Mansion after hours for a bit, too. It was a stunning event. Just because events are private doesn't mean they will be, well, sucky.

Of course, they could be. Fan-created events are all over the map, so a little healthy skepticism is normal and safe. But hard core skeptics will always only be able to look back and say "man, that sounded awesome, wish I could have been there" - for what it's worth.

Frankly, we're still working out the details on the Terrace event, but the contracts are signed and it's going to be a rare moment in time, regardless of how close we get to providing an exact replica of the Terrace in its heyday. Here are some additional facts: Disneyland Entertainment is creating the show, not us. We are working on the menu to come up with something wonderful that is also heavily inspired (if not copied) from the original restaurant menu. Off the record, we understand that some folks in Disneyland's corporate offices are going to pay attention to what's going on here, because as was mentioned, this is something that has come up repeatedly at the park as a possibility for an AP event, or something along those lines. And we also have Disney Legend Rolly Crump coming to speak, and any chance to hear Disney Legends talk is a rare and special opportunity. AND super-off the record, we've had some unofficial guidance from some folks at WDI, because they're big Terrace fans, too.

So I just thought I'd pass on these few more details if anyone is on the fence about joining us. We have other surprise guests coming, too. If you're skeptical about the thing, I understand. It's always hard to say what a non-Disney event will be like. But this night is going to be primarily created by Disneyland Entertainment, FWIW. And the ticket price is partially subsidized by sponsors - it's actually less than the per person price we're paying Disneyland. Hope some of you will join us. Should be a really super night.

BTW, Mousetalgia's show this coming Monday will have Tony Baxter as a special guest, sharing his own Tahitian Terrace memories. Terrace fans might enjoy it hearing what he has to say. Subscribe on iTunes or just listen at mousetalgia.com starting Monday morning.

Cory Gross
08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
It's not Disney run, but I think it would be a safe bet to say that Disney has their eyes on it.

Parts of Disneyland can be rented out for events. Once upon a time, way back when, I thought about organizing an event for Disney Steampunk fans (this was back before Steampunk was the fashion subculture thing it is now) that would include showing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in the Opera House. Suffice it to say that it is not cheap to rent out parts of Disneyland, and the project never got past that initial e-mail discussion.

AnotherJenny
08-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi - I'm Chef Mayhem, owner of DoomBuggies.com, co-host of Mousetalgia, and a sponsor of the "Evening in the Tahitian Terrace" event.

Yes, for the right amount of money, Disneyland will rent out almost any part of the park. A few years ago, DoomBuggies closed the Blue Bayou for the night and hosted a private party there with a panel discussion with X Atencio, Blaine Gibson, Bob Gurr, and Harriet Burns - and we rented the Haunted Mansion after hours for a bit, too. It was a stunning event. Just because events are private doesn't mean they will be, well, sucky.

Of course, they could be. Fan-created events are all over the map, so a little healthy skepticism is normal and safe. But hard core skeptics will always only be able to look back and say "man, that sounded awesome, wish I could have been there" - for what it's worth.

Frankly, we're still working out the details on the Terrace event, but the contracts are signed and it's going to be a rare moment in time, regardless of how close we get to providing an exact replica of the Terrace in its heyday. Here are some additional facts: Disneyland Entertainment is creating the show, not us. We are working on the menu to come up with something wonderful that is also heavily inspired (if not copied) from the original restaurant menu. Off the record, we understand that some folks in Disneyland's corporate offices are going to pay attention to what's going on here, because as was mentioned, this is something that has come up repeatedly at the park as a possibility for an AP event, or something along those lines. And we also have Disney Legend Rolly Crump coming to speak, and any chance to hear Disney Legends talk is a rare and special opportunity. AND super-off the record, we've had some unofficial guidance from some folks at WDI, because they're big Terrace fans, too.

So I just thought I'd pass on these few more details if anyone is on the fence about joining us. We have other surprise guests coming, too. If you're skeptical about the thing, I understand. It's always hard to say what a non-Disney event will be like. But this night is going to be primarily created by Disneyland Entertainment, FWIW. And the ticket price is partially subsidized by sponsors - it's actually less than the per person price we're paying Disneyland. Hope some of you will join us. Should be a really super night.

BTW, Mousetalgia's show this coming Monday will have Tony Baxter as a special guest, sharing his own Tahitian Terrace memories. Terrace fans might enjoy it hearing what he has to say. Subscribe on iTunes or just listen at mousetalgia.com starting Monday morning.

Thanks for the details! It sounds like it will be a great event.

It's not in my budget right now, but I've already sent the info to some friends through whom I like to live vicariously. ;)

leota's necklace
08-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Chef, thanks for chiming in. I have to admit, the chance to hear Rolly Crump speak definitely piqued my interest.

Tangentially, thanks for DoomBuggies. It's an amazing site.