PDA

View Full Version : Brand New AP Holder

NirvanaMan
07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi all.

Just got to SoCal a few months ago, and I decided on friday to just do it and get the annual pass. I went for the premium, seemed to make the most sense. I love the disney parks, though I have spent much more time in the FL park than CA. The FL one is obviously a lot bigger and better, but I still like this one here and there are actually a number of attractions here that I think are superior to their FL counterparts (Thunder Mountain, POC for example).

Anyway, I'm excited about it, even though most people on here actually seem to not like the parks. Why is that? I even sorta like DCA. And I think the Xgames was awesome and defnitely fitting for a park based on CA. Yeah it looks like a temp exhibit, but that's because it is. The motocross jumping was intense. Anyway, not sure why everyone here is so negative, but I am also an auto enthusiast and I notice that most of the posts are negative on the boards relating to the cars I own as well. I guess its just something that comes along with the passion?

Looking forward to a good year.

DisneylandBoy
07-27-2003, 11:23 PM
I would just like to say, Welcome Aboard! You will enjoy your pass immensly.

P.S. It is EXTREMELY nice to see someone with such a fresh, open attitude about our parks. :)

Morrigoon
07-27-2003, 11:56 PM
NirvanaMan:

Welcome!

Lest you mistake our intentions, most of us on here love the parks immensely, but that's why we get so upset when we see them in decline.

NirvanaMan
07-28-2003, 06:24 PM
I see the point. I do agree with the masses on one thing...Winnie the pooh was very very dissappointing. I rode it about 2 months ago when my family had flown in for the weekend. We all got off thinking, is that it? Very lame.

Matterhorn Fan
07-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by NirvanaMan
The FL one is obviously a lot bigger and better, but I still like this one here and there are actually a number of attractions here that I think are superior to their FL counterparts (Thunder Mountain, POC for example).Oh, well yes, obviously. ;)

Thunder Mountain's an interesting choice of an attraction to use as an example. What is it that makes it better, in your opinion? The outdoor loading? The fact that it goes the opposite direction as you think it's supposed to?

tabacco
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
The FL one is obviously a lot bigger and better

Oh, obviously ;)

Well, I'll grant you bigger, but as for better...

NirvanaMan
07-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Well, I honestly didn't think it was even arguable. WDW has the magic kingdom, epcot, animal kingdon, MGM, all those great waterparks, plus it doesn't feel like it is in the middle of a somewhat rundown city. :) Not to mention there is a functional tomorrowland and a monorail that actually goes somewhere (though it would be even better if they linked AK and MGM as well).

As far as thunder mtn, I might be crazy (been a few years since I've been to WDW) but I don't remember the FL version feeling so exciting, so dark (in the dark parts), having so many drops, and I don't remember that effect at the end that makes u feel like you are diving into a pool of water. Of course, maybe they are identicle and I am just imaging this. :) I'm hardly an expert...just a fan.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Well, I honestly didn't think it was even arguable.Count to ten, take a deep breath, he's from Florida....

Hi! Welcome to SoCal. I hope you learn to love Disneyland the way all of us true fans do. You were right in your comparison to the other boards you've been to - we love our park but are quick to criticize. Don't listen to the jaded ones.

Disneyland is the original. Cozy and compact. Oh, and what about the lack of horrible humidity?

Plus, it would be nice if Mr. Eisner spent money on our park instead of taking it away to "diversify". Maybe then FL wouldn't be "obviously better".

Just my opinion. :~D ;)

Phew. That wasn't too bad. Looks like the anger management therapy is working.

MonorailMan
07-29-2003, 12:21 AM
I'm hardly an expert...just a fan.

This will soon change. ;)

Welcome to the wonders of being an Annual Passholder!

Not to mention there is a functional tomorrowland

I could say something....

Matterhorn Fan
07-29-2003, 06:13 AM
NirvanaMan, Thunder Mountain at DL and WDW have the same track, only reversed (that might account for it feeling more exciting to you--you're used to it going the other way). The theming around that track is pretty different, though.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. Both resorts have things that are unique. I like how the DLR is in a smaller area--it makes park hopping easy (it's more like park leaping at WDW). It also has the Matterhorn and the (not ruined) Tiki Room. But then again, WDW has the Peoplemover, Space Mountain, and the Swiss Family Treehouse. Both places are fun.

NirvanaMan
07-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Count to ten, take a deep breath, he's from Florida....

Actually, no. Never lived in Florida. Or near florida. I hail from NY, though I have been in the lovely city of detroit for the past couple of years. I just have been to the florida park more often. I therefore consider myself to be completely subjective since I do not have ties one way or another to either park. I'm actually quite surprised that this was even a topic of discussion, but it is definitely interesting. I guess there are definitely some emotional ties to it considering that it is the original. Also, I am myself a great fan of history and historical items of interest, so I can appreciate it from that regard. I would actually like to learn more about those sorts of things. However, as a complete outsider to both parks, I never even questioned it.

Maybe it is just that the castle isn't nearly as impressive when walking in? :)

I guess I was just on crack about thunder mountain. Do they have that water effect at the end on the WDW one? Strange, the one here just seemed so much better. I guess it was all in my head....time to go revisit the FL park now.

The materhorn is cool. I had always heard about it, but I had never been on it till last month. I never even realized it existed, I somehow didn't notice it my last 2 times to DL in the past couple years. Not sure how I missed a giant mountain, I guess I just wasn't really expecting it since it wasn't in the magic kingdom. My first ride on it, I have to say, I really liked it. Definitely a lot of fun. I just wish they had fastpass for it, the line is always so long.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Actually, no. Never lived in Florida. Or near florida. I hail from NY, though I have been in the lovely city of detroit for the past couple of years.
Ah, ok. I guess what I meant is, he's been to Florida more often. :)

I guess there are definitely some emotional ties to it considering that it is the original.
That, and mild annoyance that Florida gets all the money since it brings in more tourists. From what I understand, DL is more of a local phenomenon than WDW. We have way more APers and a lot of the "tourists" are locals. People from around the world or out of state tend to head to Florida more often because it's a huge resort empire.

I just wish they had fastpass for it, the line is always so long. Actually the line usually moves pretty fast. Crowds have been insane this summer, though, so I can agree with that.

Quick tip - if you haven't already, make sure to see Fantasmic. I haven't seen the Florida version but I hear that ours beats the socks off of it. Just make sure you get there early to reserve a spot to watch it.

Matterhorn Fan
07-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Quick tip - if you haven't already, make sure to see Fantasmic. I haven't seen the Florida version but I hear that ours beats the socks off of it.I second that.

Not sure how I missed a giant mountain, I guess I just wasn't really expecting it since it wasn't in the magic kingdom.Interesting. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone actually not noticing the Matterhorn before. But I'm glad you like it. And yeah, the lines, even when the ends are touching at the back of the mountain, rarely gets over 40-45 minutes.

I'm not entirely certain about the splashdown on Thunder at WDW. The track's the same, but the stuff all around it's different. Thunder at WDW felt a little more exciting to me than the one at DL just because it kept going the "wrong" way.

NirvanaMan
07-29-2003, 09:28 PM
He he...yeha not sure how I missed it. Those 2 times I spent most of the day at DCA (since I had never been there, and it was less crowded) and then went to disneyland at night. I guess I just headed where I expected things to be...and never hit fantasy land....and somehow just never noticed it. Honestly, I have no excuse. :) It wasn't till I went with the family that my father mentioned the matterhorn and I said that I didn't think it was here...and he pointed at the large mountain. Yeah..I have no excuse. :)

I havn't seen fantasmic yet but thanks for the tip. I will have to go sometime soon. I just can't find anyone my age that has any interest in disney, they all wanna do 6 flags (which is ok, I have a season pass there, but its not the same). I did go see aladin because of a tip on here (I never even knew there was anything back there) and I thought it was an incredibly impressive show.

Matterhorn Fan
07-30-2003, 08:12 AM
I did go see aladin because of a tip on here (I never even knew there was anything back there) and I thought it was an incredibly impressive show. Assuming you mean that you saw the Aladdin show at DCA, here's another tip: there's another Aladdin show in Adventureland right by the Jungle Cruise exit.

Of course, I'm assuming it's still there....I haven't been to DL since January. :(

Not Afraid
07-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Assuming you mean that you saw the Aladdin show at DCA, here's another tip: there's another Aladdin show in Adventureland right by the Jungle Cruise exit.

Of course, I'm assuming it's still there....I haven't been to DL since January. :(

Of course it's still there! I LOVE that show and you'd hear about it if it went away. Fun, fun,
fun.

LibraryGirl
07-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Of course it's still there! I LOVE that show and you'd hear about it if it went away. Fun, fun,
fun.

The Aladdin show at DL is fun!! :D

Especially when your daughter is picked to be Jafar!!! :fez:

hbquikcomjamesl
07-30-2003, 09:11 AM
I don't excatly consider the Florida Tiki Room to be "ruined"; just different. Is Young Frankenstein a ruined Frankenstein movie? Are When Things Were Rotten and Robin Hood: Men In Tights ruined versions of the Robin Hood legend? Is "Shrek" a ruined fairy tale movie?

We have the original Tiki Room. Florida has an amusing, and hardly vicious, parody. I think they complement each other rather well. Almost as well as the Schubert Ave Maria and the Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain complement each other in Fantasia.

Oh, and I rather liked both the California and Florida versions of Pooh.

Matterhorn Fan
07-30-2003, 11:37 AM
OK, fine. They're different. I happen to love one and intensely dislike the other.

But no matter where you rent your movies, you should be able to rent the original Frankenstein if you decide Young Frankenstein isn't your cup of tea. You can't see the original Tiki Room in Florida.

laldava
07-30-2003, 01:55 PM
I would love the tiki room here more if all the animatronics and show effects were actually working. I havent been to DL in quite a while, but last time I was there the tiki gods on the sides of the room could barely move. I felt so bad, those gods were screamin for help - lol

hbquikcomjamesl
07-30-2003, 02:23 PM
You can't see the original Tiki Room in Florida.Very true. You also can't ride the Matterhorn, or the Roger Rabbit Car-Toon Spin, or Mr. Toad in Florida. And you can't ride anything resembling a Peoplemover, or Ellen, Imagination, or (my favorite attraction in MGM) GMR in California. And you haven't been able to see the original CBJ in California for at least a decade, maybe two. And you haven't been able to see CoP in California for even longer than that.

You can't see the MSEP/DEP in Florida. (It was only because of desperation over DCA's lack of popularity that you still can in California.) You can't see Spectro in California. You can't see the Pocahontas or Notre Dame numbers in our Fantasmic, or the Peter Pan number (or get the full effect of Tom Sawyer's Island and the ROA boats transforming into Fantasmic) in theirs.

You can't take a Walt's Footsteps tour in Florida, since Walt never walked in their MK; you can't take BackStage Magic in California, because all the really interesting backstage areas are too cramped for large groups of guests.

That's what gives East Coast residents a reason to come to DLR, and what gives West Coast residents a reason to go to WDW: the fact that there are differences. Let us cherish those differences.

Matterhorn Fan
07-30-2003, 04:06 PM
That's basically a more detailed restatement of the post you were responding to earlier. ;)

Both places are different; both places are fun. I happen to dislike the Tiki Room in Florida and prefer the show in California. I also happen to dislike the revamped Mr. Lincoln show in California, and prefer the Hall of Presidents (not the same attraction, but along the same lines). I happen to dislike It's Tough to Be a Bug, no matter where it is. But there are many more things that I love about both resorts.

I'm not saying that both resorts should be the same; I never have. But there's nothing wrong with having preferences when it comes to individual things in the parks, either.