PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn and Suites?

daycaremommy
07-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Desert INN and Suites in the "parlor suite"? They seem to have pretty good reviews online...and they gave me a rate of $79/night. I understand they are right at the DL shuttle entrance? The pool is indoors, yuck, but that is the only drawback I see. I don't get many vacations, so I want to make sure this one is AWESOME! The HOJO didn't have any suites available (so sad), any other recommendations?

Capt Fuzzynose
07-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Good place stayed there oct 2001 and will be there sept 2003.
(yay! mainly for my wife to see Rick Springfield at HoB and the rest of us get to go have fun too).

We had a parlour A suite and found the rooms to be clean. Found it to be a good value. Breakfast is nothing too write home about but IHOP next door (Denny's also next door but the hotel's breakfast is better ha!ha!)

Short walking distance to parks, so kids can be taken back quickly when they are tired and need a nap.

Have fun on your visit to the parks I know I will.

btw:
Is there anyone else that is a Disneyland fan that also plays toontown online??

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-26-2003, 01:34 PM
I stayed at the parlor suite a few years ago and it was good. Last year I stayed in a standard room. The hotel is nice, and is VERY close to the entrance. Also Tony Romas and Dennys are near by. There are only a few drawbacks, the indoor pool and the parking in the summer (very busy). They have a continental breakfast which is basically toast, bagels, and apples :| I recently made a reservation for the end of August because it has been good every time I have been.

Hope this helps,
John

T-24 Days

Matterhorn Fan
07-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Regarding parking, it is worst at night. You'll probably arrive mid-day, when you will park your car in the main lot (as opposed to the underground lot). The hotel is so close to Disney that I can't imagine you needing to use your car once you're there. If you plan to go to Universal or Knott's, your car might end up underground. Still, my family's used this place for years and although we don't always get to park really close to our room (it doesn't matter, since it's not that huge), I can't remember ever being sent elsewhere to park. (If you go at a crowded time, they may tell you that you're only allowed one car per room.)

As much as I like this place (and $79 sounds like a good rate for a suite), if you consider swimming to be an important part of your vacation, this may not the right hotel for you.

DisneyLuv
07-26-2003, 07:13 PM
I have stayed at the Desert Inn consistently, over the last ten years , both in the parlor suites and in the standard room. The place has consistently been clean and comfortable. I have tried others but the price and location are perfect. I have my reservations already made for my yearly Disneyland fix the last of August. The only draw back there, is the limited parking. If you only have one vehicle there is no problem.

Four weeks and counting.... yipppeeeee...

daycaremommy
07-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Ok! That makes me feel better! I hate making reservations sight unseen...even though I have read online reviews and looked at their website! It sounds like many of us will be there in late august! We are going the last week Mon-Fri!

I'm not thrilled about the indoor pool...but I figured IF we go swimming, we'll deal with it. I hate the strong chlorine smell....

We will arrive early, so parking (hopefully) won't be an issue and I'm hoping once we park, we'll stay that way for the 5 days!

Allison
07-27-2003, 02:22 PM
The Desert Inn is the only place we stay!

These are the cleanest rooms you could ever see, and the best location, next to Grand Californian.

We have used every kind of suite and room, all are nice, and you get a fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Ironing board and iron.

We love the Desert Inn!

yen
07-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Will be waiting to hear from all of you who's going to stay at Desert Inn and Suites.

stinkerbell
07-27-2003, 06:28 PM
I stayed there in Oct. and wrote a review on this site.

I didn't stay in a suite, but our room was huge and the bathroom was amazingly large! It was nice to have the separate vanity sink and counterspace, too. The room was very, very clean and the entire room was remodeled, with fresh paint, new carpet, moulding, bathroom fixtures, etc. It was so nice in our room.

But that's where the charm ends--outside it has a cheap motel feel and the continental breakfast was the cheapest, ickiest stuff. Bad bread, cheap jelly, green oranges, and the smallest apples I've ever seen. And the area was really cramped and dirty. It was almost bizarre compared to how nice our room was! The pool was very clean, but we didn't go in--I just went in and peeked at it.

I thought the customer service was pretty good, and we couldn't beat the rate: $44/night!

Enjoy your stay! I really did--I just didn't want you to expect much for a continental breakfast. We ate at IHOP a few times, as kids eat free there. (And it gave me a good reason to head to LaBrea Bakery in Downtown Disney every morning! ;))

dsnylndmom
07-27-2003, 09:27 PM
We've stayed at Desert Inn in the Parlor Suites and it's always been clean and the staff good. The breakfast was blah, but the times I've been there the area was clean, it was soooo tiny though, that we'd take a tray back to our room. The parking is horrible and the pool was blah, but we'd stay there again(esp. during the winter when the pool's not a factor anyways).

It was okay but I personally REALLY enjoyed the Best Western Park Place Inn(even better location! ;) ) The rooms were very large and comfy, the staff was wonderfullllll!!! The pool was nice, small but nice and the breakfast was a step above Desert, esp. since you have a choice of the continental breakfast or strawberry pancakes.

$79 sounds like a good rate for Desert though! Enjoy and let us know how your stay was