PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland is just awesome!

SpaceMTJunkie
07-26-2003, 09:05 AM
We have had enough threads about how crappy Disneyland is and how bad things have become in Tomorrowland and how anti-Disney DCA is. This thread has been started for people to state what it is that is awesome to them about Disneyland/DCA. It is time for a little positive light.

1. Being on the balcony for Fantasmic! and the fireworks while munching on some good dessert grub and having a mint julep.

2. Churros

3. Being able to ride on the World's first steel rollercoaster.

4. Feeling the magic.

5. Having a burger at Taste Pilot's Grill and being able to pile on the stuff on top of it. Grabbing some extra pickels to munch on the side is good too.

6. Pirates - The attraction that Walt was working on when he died. If only he could have seen it complete. It would have been his favorite.

Silrandil
07-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Here are some more good things....

1. Just the instant relaxation I as soon as I walk through the gates
2. The way that CM's almost always have a way of making my friends an me fell like we are as important as anyone
3. The Jungle cruise's jokes never stop surprising me, they are almost always a little different
4. Soarin' over California is an awesome experience
5. Groove 66(I love A Copella Music so much)
6. Where else can you meet all your favorite disney characters?(other than the other parks, of course)
7.and last but not least is one word: MAGIC
:D

DorisZ
07-26-2003, 10:52 AM
I think there are only negative threads because people have seen the degradation of the parks over the years and they are concerned.

However, working for a very large corporation myself, I don't think there are any simple solutions. Money is the bottom line. If we protest with our wallets, that may make us feel initially like we are doing something, but put in prospective, how is that helping? Less cash flow=less improvements, maintenance, CM's etc. A take over or a major removal of top management appears to be the only thing that will make an impact. A totally new approach needs to be taken. Some people on this board would make excellent advisors!

Overall, I still love DL and DCA, but I can't pretend everything is wonderful. I will continue to try to get there once a year, but my fear is that it will be a much different DLR when and if I ever have Grandchildren. Will they see the magic?

Sorry, I digress--we're supposed to be talking about wonderful things!

Indy, Splash, POC, Soaring, GR, BTM, the corndogs at the red wagon, the food at the Pilot's Grill, eating ice cream on a bench and people watching. Seeing the happy little faces of young children (you have to watch for that early).

And the details, landscaping, most of the CM's, fireworks, Fantasmic. I'm happy just to be there soaking it all in.

newhdplayer
07-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by SpaceMTJunkie
We have had enough threads about how crappy Disneyland is and how bad things have become in Tomorrowland and how anti-Disney DCA is. This thread has been started for people to state what it is that is awesome to them about Disneyland/DCA. It is time for a little positive light.

Wrong Forum.

SpaceMTJunkie
07-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Wrong Forum.

No, I believe this is the right forum. Maybe you are on the wrong forum. :p

Icy Bacon
07-26-2003, 01:30 PM
I'd have to say if there was one awesome moment I've had at Disneyland, it was last Wednesday when Rod Miller asked me to play a song on the piano... He made me wash my hands and I came back and played Maple Leaf Rag and somehow I didn't mess up all that much, and I just felt so special, warm and fuzzy to have played the Coke Corner piano right there on Main St. :D

Also, the Matterhorn at night, Fantasmic and Splash Mountain are some great, great experiences. :)

mrfantasmic
07-26-2003, 02:57 PM
It's the atmosphere of the first THEMED park made for all ages, where kids and adults alike could come together and leave the everyday world behind and enter a place that could only exist in your imagination.

newhdplayer
07-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMTJunkie
No, I believe this is the right forum. Maybe you are on the wrong forum. :p

Why, I believe you are correct and appreciate your brief, to the point, response. I will now go away...

Please enjoy your tolerant, open-minded exchanges of differing opinions (strange how they all seem alike) and have a nice day.

jerjer2005
07-26-2003, 09:06 PM
ok soooooooo many things to state...

first of all... to the poster that said that this is in the wrong forum... you couldnt be more wrong and i dont really understand where you get your reasoning on this subject.

2nd... to the original poster of this post... I want to thank you and everyone that has been posting such uplifting comments about DLR... Its about time this site goes back to being somthing besides a place to come and complain.

3rd... I cant believe that after trying to start somthing great like this post that someone still has to come on to this thread and post a negative post... it just shows that some people just wont leave well enough alone...

and finally...

what I love about Disneyland...
I love it all... the feeling of going to another world... the wonderful attractions and scenery that takes us to the far depths of our imagination... the delightful sounds of cheerful cast members and catchy tunes that play throughout the park.... The top notch entertainment spectaculars such as Aladdin and Fantasmic... and most of all the legacy of walt disney that the place holds.

I wish everyone hundreds more magical expieriences at the DLR... Just one touch of advice... lets let this thread start somthing new on these boards... somthing that hasnt been seen for some time... positivity

MagicBeliever
07-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Thank you, SpaceMTJunkie, for casting a beam of light into the works! :)

1. Seeing Fantasmic from every different angle.
2. The smell of Pirates, especially right as you pass the cannons.
3. The shooting star firework at the beginning and end of Believe.
4. Watching a little kid walk up to a CM at Mansion on July 17th and say, "Happy birthday!" to see the CM beam brightly and say "Happy birthday to you, too!"
5. Thinking to yourself, "The MAIN STREET Electrical Parade" so strongly that you don't even hear "Disney's"
6. Jumping into the Downtown Disney fountains for pictures when security isn't looking
7. Playing around with Goofy and Pluto and having characters stop mid-step for you to take a picture of them
8. Being in the Tiki Room and picturing Walt standing next to Jose
9. Buying pins
10. Looking foward to the 50th, and knowing no matter what the park does or doesn't do, Walt's dream is going to be celebrating it's 50th year on the planet.

No matter what anybody says, sometimes life just doesn't get any better than Uncle Walt's park.

donatello3000
07-27-2003, 08:44 PM
for me at DLR...
(in no special order)

1. the smell of the water in the attractions (my friends think it smells bad)
2. riding Astro Orbitor and screaming my butt off. it's fun going down because you feel like you're gonna fall out. i dunno why people keep their jets up so high.
3. having a chili dog at Award Wieners
4. seeing the AA Jack during the HM holiday makeover
5. laughing at the "no dancing" warning signs in front of us each time we sit on a ride
6. Believe
7. Fantasmic
8. Aladdin
9. riding California Screamin' over and over just to get a good picture
10. sitting by the fireplace at GC
11. the french dip at GC's Whitewater Snacks
12. cheering for San Diego on Soarin' Over California
14. walking down Main Street U.S.A. in the morning

...and the list goes on.

i can name a few negative things, like the upkeep of paint (err... lack of it), attraction closures, and such... but they can never outweigh the positive things that the resort has to offer. in fact, i only notice them when i'm reading about them online. when i'm at the resort, i completely forget about the bad things i read online, and i enjoy myself. the reason i visit the park often is to relax and have a good time.

disneyfreak168
07-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Silrandil

7.and last but not least is one word: MAGIC
:D

i like that one the most out of your list:)

laldava
07-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Despite some downfalls recently - DL is still the best. There are so many great things to name.

1. Sleeping beauty castle at night (its funny because although its probably the smallest of the castles at any disney park, the purplish lighting at night makes it look so big and cool.

2. Fireworks shooting from the castle during believe.

3. Indiana Jones (truly an achievement in immersion) the temple exterior, the jungle cruise next door, and the exotic landscaping. The details you see getting to the ride only add to the experience.

4. Mr. Toads Wild Ride - Its at DL and not WDW - enough said

5. The Band that plays in New Orleans square.

6. the DLR during christmas (simply amazing)

7. Adventureland (Ive been to WDW and although their Adventureland is larger, the DL version seems more exotic and immersive)

8. Watching fireworks while riding the matterhorn. You can only do this one at DL, and it truly is a sight to behold.

9. That sweet smell on Main St. - I think its from the Ice Cream Parlor but Im not sure.

10. The Partners Statue right in the center of the hub - where it should be. Its really cool to look down main st., see the statue and the castile standing right behind it.

CarlieB
07-28-2003, 02:28 PM
A few things I think can't be beat:

Walking down Main Street first thing in the morning

The sounds as you enter Adventureland

Riding the Mark Twain in the afternoon

Taking in a show (Billy Hill & the Hillbillies) at the Golden Horseshoe over lunch

Riding GRR in summer and getting wet:D

Browsing in DTD (I *love* Sephora!)

That final walk down Main Street late at night on your way out...

tod
07-28-2003, 03:23 PM
The Storybook Land Canal Boats at sunset.

Warm summer night eating at Rancho Del Zocalo right by the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as the trains make their last turn into the station. Squeezing Tabasco packets on my food and still having it taste bland as hell. Making a mental note to go to Tacos Mi Pueblo at Katella and Walnut next time.

Main Street when all the lights go out all at once as "Believe!" starts.

The look of a child face to face with Mickey Mouse for the first time.

Singing along with the pirates after the first drop, and everybody on the boat joining in on the "Yo Ho"s. "We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do well cads, drink up, me hearties, yo ho..."

The smell of diesel exhaust -- the smell of Disneyland.

Watching the kids amazed by a magic trick at the Magic Shop.

Retreat. The band. The people fumbling with their hats, not sure whether to take them off or not, or salute, or put their hands over their hearts, or what. The Security guy lowering the flag with precision so the flag's descent takes exactly as long as the National Anthem. The reverent folding and the precise march as the Security personnel take the flag backstage.

The train and the Mark Twain doing "Shave and a haircut, two bits" on their whistles as they meet behind Tom Sawyer Island.

The windows on Main Street. Wally Boag. Marc Davis. Herb Ryman. Claude Coats. Ken Anderson.

Pointing out to novices that the three-story Emporium is much taller than the three-story Coke Corner and that makes the Castle look bigger when you look at it from Town Square and isn't that cool?

First thing in the morning, bright sunlight, street still wet from the hosing, "Please walk to your first attraction," rope drop, having the park to yourself that first couple of hours. Chatting with the CMs, taking the horseless carriage or fire truck back up Main Street, nosing through the almost-vacant shops. I once saw a couple drinking cups of coffee from outside and reading the Sunday paper on the bench/wall on the north side of Matterhorn Way. I thought that was overdoing it.

Knowing where all the johns are and being able to direct people there, pointing with two fingers. Recommending the baby center to parents wielding diapered children.

Stepping on the Pressler tile. Hard.

Playing "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" and getting in the top ten.

Getting pleasantly scared at "It's Tough To Be A Bug" when the black widows drop out of the fog.

Ducking under the golf ball at "Soarin' Over California."

The fake-ending to "Believe!" and then singing along with the finale.
"Where-all-your-dreams-come-true" BAM BAM BAM Mickey head!! (wind permitting)

The train on that long quiet stretch between New Orleans Square and Toontown.

Waving. Waving at the people on "it's a small world" from the train. Waving from the shore to the Mark Twain. Waving from the Mark Twain to the kids on Tom Sawyer Island. Waving to the Monorail from the queue at "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire."

Birthday stickers. Telling people "Happy birthday" and watching their faces light up. Doing it myself once a year, but sharing it with my wife, who was born two years after me, to the day.

The smell of barbecuing fish from Hook's Pointe.

Asking at the Main Street Train Station "How many trains are you running?" and looking at the board once I find out to see exactly where they are.

Having fun with the costume characters. I once told Donald Duck he was backing up to a curb and he turned around and gave me an appreciative salute. Which I returned.

--T
==========
Yeah, I've posted some of this before. I've tweaked a lot of it, though.
:fez:

RStar
07-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks Tod, you're a breath of fresh air.

I can agree with all of the above, and add :

The walk out of the park on a drizzly winter day after the park had closed while you were on Splash mountain and noticing that there is not one soul to be found as you stroll through Critter Country and before you get to the bend heading to the Haunted Mansion. You say to yourself "This is what Walt saw durring his strolls just before the park opened every day, empty wet streets in Disneyland. Cool."

Cadaverous Pallor
07-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Many of these are truly inspired thoughts. You guys are reminding me that it's been ages since I've been there at park opening. We'll have to do that again at some point.

I'll add a few more:

Watching little girls interact with the Princesses.

Watching Believe by the Small World toy store and making sure everyone around you knows when to turn around and see Tink fly.

Watching Fantasmic from the little pier area near Twain's dock (is there a name for that place?), where you get to wave at Ariel and Eric, as well as the characters that ride the Twain at the end.

Walking through a dark Disneyland - most notably, the hub/castle area. I love how dark it gets there at night. When I was a child I remember walking through the hub at night with my father. The trees had small white christmas lights in them. I said to my dad, "This is what the world should be like - lights in all the trees."

Saying goodnight to Walt's office over the firehouse.

Germboy
07-29-2003, 08:07 PM
One of the only places on the west coast where you can still here Jack Wagner's voice: the water show at Disneyland Hotel!

Pirate Girl
07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Walking under the railroad tracks and onto Main Street! Goosebumps every time!

Lashbear
07-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Hmmm... one of the previous posters belongs at TrollPlanet, methinks ! hehehe - although I wouldn't wish that on DF :D

Anyhow... To me EVERYTHING was awesome, because It is all so far away, and I've only ever been to the DLR for 3 vacations, but the following things made me cry with happiness... (yes, big bears DO cry):

Watching the Electrical Parade
Going under the berm into Main Street
"Believe in Holiday Magic" fireworks and snowfall
Meeting Mickey.
The Enchanted Tiki Room (as soon as they started singing the song)
It's a Small World Holiday
Peter Pan - as we "Flew" out of the bedroom window

I also got goosebumps watching the delighted faces of Greg & the girls (as they had never been there before)

I LOVE DLR !! (and WDW)

DisneyFan25863
07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Hmmm... one of the previous posters belongs at TrollPlanet, methinks ! hehehe - although I wouldn't wish that on DF :D

Wha? I thought I heard my named called.....:fez:
Anyone is welcome to TrollPlanet, as long as they don't hack into my server :D

tod
07-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Watching Believe by the Small World toy store and making sure everyone around you knows when to turn around and see Tink fly.

I just silently turn around and face the Matterhorn, elbowing my companions and pointing if the people nearby don't catch on. If enough people turn around, a domino effect will occur.

It's more magic if people find it themselves. Pointing and yelling "LOOK OVER THERE" takes some of the oomph out of it.

--T

Germboy
07-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Ha ha ha. I agree!

I take slack from my friends for writing on these boards. We were in that same area of DL one time, when some guy appeared and started "directing" everyone during Believe. It was one of the funniest things I've seen at the park.

He was saying things like "Tink behind you in three seconds!" and "Now blast over here! Face the SW."

How bizarre is that? And all my friends agreed that he was a bigger freak than I am... :mad:

cryan71
07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Watching Rod play piano and make the same jokes he's done for the past 13 years you have seen him

Watching the All American College Band play

The walkway near Big Thunder RailRoad and Big Thunder Ranch- especially at night on a slow day

Spotting some of the ferrel cats that live at Disneyland

The courtyard at The Disney Gallery -- great quiet place.

The quiet sitting area behind the place where the pirate ship docks

Checking out the cute castmembers on Jungle Cruise and Canoes

Hanging at the Disney Grand Californian outdoor fireplace

Watching the Surburban Legends