PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter to Disney?

Scalper10
07-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Found this posted on onering.net

A LOTR Ride at Universal Florida?
7/25/03, 10:27 am EST - Xoanon

Cærial writes: I thought you and my fellow LotR fans would find this interesting. According to Screamscape: "...it seems the head of Universal Orlando was having an open Q&A lunch session with his staff a few weeks ago when he was asked if Universal had any plans to pursue either the Harry Potter franchise or Lord of the Rings for possible future park projects. Bob Gault’s answer was that “Disney has Harry Potter wrapped up” and that Universal was instead checking into Lord of the Rings."

Morrigoon
07-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Think WB would allow it?

nursemelis374
07-26-2003, 08:57 AM
I read somewhere (it may have been at screamscape) that the ride for either would be similar to POTC. I love both and think this would be awesome wherever it was!

mrfantasmic
07-26-2003, 12:08 PM
How would you make Harry Potter a boat ride? It'd have to be some sort of broomstick/Ford Anglia/Hogwarts Express sort of ride.

Morrigoon
07-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Nonsense. First years always take boats across the lake from Hogsmeade Station. :geek:

LibraryGirl
07-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Nonsense. First years always take boats across the lake from Hogsmeade Station. :geek:

You got that right!! :geek: It could be a dark ride. It would be cool to see Hogwarts rising from the mists!

Morrigoon
07-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Frankly, she's written enough about the HP world to make her own theme park. I know *I'd* go visit a well-done HP theme park in Scotland, wouldn't you?

mrfantasmic
07-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Or hidden in the mountains somewhere around Southern California. There is so much detail that it could be done. Only It'd have to be done WELL or not at all.
Quiddich? A stunt show, ride, or 3d movie?
Hmmm...

jerjer2005
07-26-2003, 02:57 PM
a HP ride at DL ??? doesnt sound likely

disNeytEen
07-26-2003, 03:25 PM
they would have to make a new land but what type of land?

Rallymonkey23
07-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by disNeytEen
they would have to make a new land but what type of land?

Muggle-Land! :~D :fez:

Andrew
07-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Muggle-Land! :~D :fez:

Nah, it's been done (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/landing/parkDCA).

This gratuitous off-topic DCA-bashing brought to you by the number i.

Disneyphile
07-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Ooooh! Then maybe instead of a gold castle for the 50th, they can turn it into Hogwarts Castle!!! Maybe that's why the walk-thru has been down this long.:eek:

Actually, as much as I love Harry Potter, I really wouldn't want to see it at any Disney park.

stitch626
07-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Sounds fishy to me... :| I think it would be odd to all of asudden hear the Harry Potter Theme song playing as you enter the park. But then again, Disney has a whole Star Wars store and ride, too. :: shrugs ::

drjones
07-28-2003, 12:02 AM
harry potter is a wb trademark and probably would go to six flags with bugs bunny and batman

cstephens
07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I asked this question the last time around but didn't get any answer, so I'll try again. Does anyone know whether Warner Bros. has the theme park rights to the Harry Potter franchise? It's possible that Rowling only sold them the movie rights, as it's not uncommon to sell off various rights to a property one at a time. Now, it would probably be weird for the films to be released by Warner Bros. and the theme park attraction to be with another company, but it's possible.

California Aggie
07-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Warner Bros. owns the rights to the Harry Potter characters, names, and insignia according to the copyright page of The Order of the Phoenix. This includes the illustrations by Mary GrandPre. J.K. Rowling retains the publishing rights only. If Disney was/were to get a Harry Potter ride they'd have to pay a license to our friends at AOL Time Warner.

It would be neat if they did, though. At Disneyland they could build a show building in the former Big Thunder Ranch. Access to the ride could through be a tunnel that opens in Fantasyland. Village Haus could be rethemed to the Leaky Cauldron with the entrance to the ride through Diagon Alley, of course. :D

If Eisner won't budge they can sell it to him on the promise of massive revenue from Outdoor Vending sales of Bertie Bot's Any Flavor Beans.

Lashbear
07-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Movie world in Australia has already had This (http://www.movieworld.com.au/rides_attractions/ride_harry_potter.cfm) and I imagine any other rides would be in Movie world theme parks as well !

Lashbear
07-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Having had said that, I think that I would love to see:

Harry Potter The Ride: "Nimbus 2003 - Soarin' Over Hogsmeade"

:D

mrs. dr jones
07-29-2003, 07:28 AM
how about a gringotts roller coster:fez:

Disneyphile
07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
There's just SO many things in Harry Potter, they could make an entire theme park.

I'd definitely go visit! :D

AliKzam
07-29-2003, 10:46 PM
As far as a Lord of the Rings-themed ride is concerned, may I just say I think it would do well in a style like the Peter Pan ride or Ninja coaster at Magic Mtn (where the track is above you). What with all those sweeping overhead shots of the scenery in the films, that would just be amazing to soar across the two towers, or down through the mines of Moria, or glide through the elven lands. That, to me, would be much more exciting than just passing by in a boat. But if they do base a ride on the films, it would obviously be too dark to belong in Disneyland. Not too sure about the Orlando parks though, as I've never been there. Same as Harry Potter, though. Too dark for Disney, in my oppinion. But it would also be a great ride.
If Disney were to completely convert DCA into a theme park geared towards films and television, that would be an ideal place to put both rides. What with A Bug's Land and Hollywood Tower of Terror. Also with Alladdin there, and the ABC promotional stuff (primetime, soaps, sports). It really would be better synergy for the park, wouldn't it? Sure, LOTR and Potter both take place in England, but it would be better synergy.

Pirate Girl
07-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Oh no. Harry Potter? Seriously. I'd like to think that the current Disney Execs have enough class to know that Harry Potter anything would not be a healthy edition to Disney. Harry Potthead is rediculous. And don't touch the castle!

Tigertail777
07-30-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh I see. And a park that has a old amusment park theme, and a now closed dark limo ride that shows all the seediness and near prosititution of Hollywood as something cute , is DEFINATELY a Disney experience.:rolleyes:

Have you ever read the Harry Potter books? Or are you just going by what you have heard? I am curious, cause really at first I kinda thought the same way.... "there is nothing that could be THAT good and worth all that hype" but I decided to take a chance and read one. Now I am hooked, Rowling is a very good author who knows how to keep your attention.

I actually don't see the Harry Potter books as much darker than some of the things Disney has produced in the past: Sleeping beauty is pretty dark when you think about it, as is Pinnochio, Black Cauldron, Watcher in the woods, something wicked this way comes, parts of the lives of Thomasina are pretty creepy, I found that one Irish one with the little people pretty disturbing in some parts, Fantasia has the night on bald mountain sequence, Ichabod and mr toad is quite dark, Heck even snow white is a little disturbing in parts... most quantessential Disney movies have something dark and creepy in them. And in Mr. toad ride you go to hell.... Really I cant think of much Disney stuff that doesnt have a dark side to it (maybe pooh... unless you count heffalumps and woozles LOL).

I would love to see a Harry Potter theme park, there is truly a lot to draw upon from the books for it.:D

Pirate Girl
07-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Well, Firstly, yes I have unfortunatly read a Harry Potter book. I didn't see what all the hype was about. Go ahead and make a Harry Potter theme park. Just keep it seperate from Disney.