PDA

View Full Version : Something needs to be done about Splash Mountain!

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
07-24-2003, 06:24 PM
First of all the lines are well over 100 min each time i go to disneyland regaurdless if its busy or not. The effects by the drop dont work at all, IE water jets-they used to shoot way higher about 6 years ago and then one time i went they were so low and it has been like that ever since. Also the water wheel doesnt function anymore for some reason. The drop needs a paint job and the new line railings look horrible. They are not even finished and they are really really cheap compared to the old fat ones they used to have made out of real wood.

To fix these things
1. Some how make the jets shoot twice as high with fog rising up higher.
2.paint
3.fix water wheel
4 come on spend money and make decent railings
5. logs need to be changed back to 7 instead of 5 or make the flume wider for bigger logs.
6. Why did they speed up the water? It only creates a traffic jam at the end of the ride and screws the people who waited hours for the ride. The ride used to be like 10min now its like 5.

SNL Addict
07-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Since I dont go that often I cant really give that much insight on this topic but I will say that I liked the old logs better with these ones you are more cramped and really uncomforatable!

TheatreTech
07-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't know about the line(single rider)...but, I do miss the old logs. Now that I think about it, the logs do move more quickly than before.

MammaSilva
07-24-2003, 08:03 PM
well as for all the other stuff.. I don't have any input, but as to the logs going 'faster' think about it, 2 less butts in da boat... less wieght.. faster.....doesn't make it better but it's a reasonable explanation.

MonorailMan
07-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Also, along MammaSilva's lines, 2 less butts per boat also causes them to run more boats, ergo, making the ride faster.

However, the flume is all exposed now, and the water is moving so fast, you can see the plastic of the flume on the drop. ;)

jerjer2005
07-24-2003, 09:13 PM
ok...

my personal opinion...
I think the ride has been kept up very well concidering how many poeple ride the ride a day... the animatronics work very well and the scenery is still tip top shape...

concerning the logs:

I think the 5 person logs are alot better... it gives everyone their personal space and they were impliminted for safty issues also so i think there a plus.

water jets:
These arnt broken, they were lowered on purpose... im not sure of the reason but its not due to low maitnence.

water wheel:
I do agree that this needs to be fixed.

paint/railings:
I think the paint and railings are just fine... comon dont nit-pick toooooo much

splash mountain is a great ride that i feel has been well maintained throughout the years. every ride can use improvment but lets look at the serious issues of the park instead of a measly water jet.

sancho
07-24-2003, 09:37 PM
It seems that during my last visits in 2002 and 2001, the queue area was rather badly marred by graffiti. Has anyone else noted this? The same goes for Space Mt. If it is still this way, add this to the list of what needs to be accomolished this summer.

Oh, a few other things. What conceivable reason could there be for making the water jets not as powerful? I also think that if the railing looks worn, it should be replaced. C'mon, Jer Jer, this is DL...not Magic Mountain. We should be picky.

Icy Bacon
07-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Well, I can't say anything about the general ride being faster or the same as before considering I literally rode it for the first time yesterday, but one thing that could drastically speed up the line (and give it about the same capacity that it used to have) would be to use dual stations. The tandem loading method works well, but if there is some person who has trouble getting in the distances between all the logs on the ride become uneven. If they had two stations like Indy with the unload and load stations as well, the dispatchers would have more flexibility since they could have more time for loading at each station but the same overall maximum possible capacity (which they could then actually meet).

I do have to say that every thing you folks have mentioned besides the wait (and the fastpass line really does take a long time too, single rider is definitely the only way to go) is really, really trivial. The whole ride strongly impressed me, which is extremely difficult to do with me. Zippedy do dah... :)

YellowMan
07-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
but one thing that could drastically speed up the line (and give it about the same capacity that it used to have) would be to use dual stations. The tandem loading method works well, but if there is some person who has trouble getting in the distances between all the logs on the ride become uneven. Or better yet, they could have dual tandem loading stations. Talk about efficient. The only trick is that they'd have to reroute the last part of the line and move the exit around a bit as well, but in all I think it would greatly benefit the ride.

mrfantasmic
07-24-2003, 11:31 PM
i Agree with you, Disneyfreak. capacity on this one MUST be increased. the overall "show" is made up by details, by the way, and if the details are less, so is the show.

Haldwitten
07-25-2003, 12:53 AM
I can tell you Splash runs the same number of logs it always has... and that number is 36. No more... no less... before the log change and after.

And the ride runs as long as it always has... about 10 min.

Maybe it feels faster than before, but I've never heard anything about it being sped up. Sorry.

ryguy
07-25-2003, 01:04 AM
miss the old log style especially when I'm with my girlfreind, It was a total get to know your date ride aw memories

tracilicious
07-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Haldwitten
I can tell you Splash runs the same number of logs it always has... and that number is 36. No more... no less... before the log change and after.

And the ride runs as long as it always has... about 10 min.

Maybe it feels faster than before, but I've never heard anything about it being sped up. Sorry.

same number of logs, less people in the logs...there's your long wait time explained. i'm not convinced that the ride is as long as it always has been. the water definitely seems to be moving faster. i don't have hard proof though. splash is up for rehab at the beginning of september, so hopefully these things will get fixed. i agree about the paint. if it never gets noticed then eventually it will get so bad that splash becomes an eyesore.

mrfantasmic
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Maybe not so bad as an eyesore, because the mountain was done so well that it is a gem of the park. The upkeep just has to keep it that way

Disneyfreak
07-25-2003, 01:12 PM
I am 100% sure they sped up the water, because you bounce off the walls when it was somewhat slow before and a smooth turning ride. It has become almost as fast as the log ride at knotts in some areas like after the first two inclines. I know for a fact that this is what is causing a back up at the station. It would be totally clear till you got to the end before, now they added those brakes that pop up out of the water to stop the line. Oh and the drop plates have been improved. The water is not flat anymore like it used to be right after the rehab. It actually is white water again. Still I think the ride theme from outside looked alot better with the jets spraying water very high with the fog comming out. I do like the idea of two station bays though. That would stop the back up of logs and push people through the ride and line faster resulting in lower wait times.

stitcher
07-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
First of all the lines are well over 100 min each time i go to disneyland regaurdless if its busy or not.
It's part Fastpass, part reduced log capacity

The drop needs a paint job and the new line railings look horrible. They are not even finished and they are really really cheap compared to the old fat ones they used to have made out of real wood.
They probably changed the railings away from real wood for maintaince and safety purposes. As for the "unfinished part", you will notice that the area you are referencing is on the bridge in front of the drop. This is obviously a safety issue. Guests get on that railing to watch the drop no matter what, unless there is someone to watch them every second(Not going to happen). The rounded railing would be much less safe in this area, especially if it's wet. So basically, they chose the lesser of two evils.

To fix these things
1. Some how make the jets shoot twice as high with fog rising up higher.
Whiner

2.paint
Except for some areas, think about it, we are talking about a gigantic barn set into a mountain. The lack of "paint" adds to the show.

3.fix water wheel
Agreed

4 come on spend money and make decent railings
See above

5. logs need to be changed back to 7 instead of 5 or make the flume wider for bigger logs.
Three words....Safety, safety, safety. One reason the seats are so spread apart, is probably because there isn't enough extra space left to make up a sixth individual seat. The logs would look stupid if they had different size spaces in between each one.
Widening the flume would be a major undertaking. They would also have to set everything back, to compensate, to leave room for evacuation walkways, show effects, etc. Many of which would create a "Matterhorn Rehab" effect. In other words, holes would be made. Not neccesarily to the outside, but between scenes, and maintaince access areas

6. Why did they speed up the water? It only creates a traffic jam at the end of the ride and screws the people who waited hours for the ride. The ride used to be like 10min now its like 5.
It's still 10 minutes. They did not speed the water up.

tod
07-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ryguy
miss the old log style especially when I'm with my girlfreind, It was a total get to know your date ride aw memories

Matterhorn.

--T
:fez:

Icy Bacon
07-25-2003, 10:58 PM
About the spraying... I personally like it more the way it is now, it looks like it could actually be the splash from the ride. Before it was kind of cartoonish and obviously fake, now it looks quite real and I prefer it that way.

Disneyfreak
07-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Well the jets are really loud and you can hear them spraying. It wasnt always that way.

Haldwitten
07-26-2003, 01:10 AM
IIt would be totally clear till you got to the end before, now they added those brakes that pop up out of the water to stop the line.

Those are sorter brakes, and they've been there since 1989. And trust me... station backups happened before the log change, too. :)

Haldwitten
07-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Oh, and as for the paint. The whole mountain was re-painted during the Spring, 2002 rehab that lasted from January to June. They cut down all the ivy and other excess foliage, too. Honestly, the whole exterior was given a fresh coat just over 13 months ago. Course, it has probably faded a bit since then... but don't expect another paint job for a long while... that's a mountain being painted, not a house.

Disneyfreak
07-26-2003, 09:56 AM
The red brakes that pop out of the water were installed after the long rehab. Before they would just have those gate brakes. I remember.

mrfantasmic
07-26-2003, 12:11 PM
As do I.

Haldwitten
07-26-2003, 01:43 PM
The red brakes that pop out of the water were installed after the long rehab. Before they would just have those gate brakes. I remember.

I'm sorry to have to dispute your memory, but I worked on Splash years before the long rehab. I can assure you that sorter brakes have been in use since the ride opened. Perhaps you don't remember encountering them until after the long rehab. Trust me... they were not recently added.

stitcher
07-26-2003, 06:30 PM
I remember having the sortoer breaks for some time now....

At any moment they could just come up as you pass and...woohoo!