PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers on their own?

disneymeimei
07-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Good Morning Mousepad,
We are taking our semiannual trip to the most wonderful place in the world. This trip will be a bit different as we are bringing a guest in the form of a "boyfriend". Our daughter has always hung around with us and claims that this trip will be no different. Just how safe is it for sixteen year olds to be off on their own? What does this mom need to know in advance? Need I worry? This is also the first summer trip we have taken since 1999. Any hints and/or advice appreciated.

Disneymeimei,
the count down begins...12 days to take off:)

MammaSilva
07-24-2003, 08:10 AM
If you trust the young man enough to bring him on the trip, then I say give them the cell phone and a 'meet' time and relax. They aren't going to do anything at the resort they couldn't/wouldn't do on a date at home. Chances are they will divide their time being Independant and hanging with you .... so what if they steal a kiss on PoC or Small World, as long as the PDA isn't to the point that someone's yelling get a room... it's all good.

MonorailMan
07-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Let them go. ;)

Allison
07-24-2003, 08:55 AM
They will be fine.
If you know your daughter to be trustworthy and dependable, they, and you will have a fabulous time! Pick times to meet up, and enjoy.

Lani
07-24-2003, 09:11 AM
I'm getting old. My reaction would be, "I wouldn't take the boyfriend unless his parents were coming also." Heh. I'm not even gonna go into sleeping arrangements, except to assume the fine, upstanding gentleman will have his own accommodations, or will be rooming with your husband.

By the way, even though he is 16, he is still technically a minor (one of the reasons I probably wouldn't go along with the plan if I were in the situation). Before you all go on your trip, make sure you get a signed note from his parents giving you permission to act as guardian during the trip. They need to give you permission for handling medical emergencies, since you are not "family" and you will otherwise not be able to make any decisions on his behalf should anything go awry. Keep in mind that the flip side of that is that if he causes any damage or breaks the law, you may be held liable (but I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV).

Have a safe trip!

Dexter
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
I agree with Mammasilva. I only say that because when I was 17, my girlfriend and her parents invited me along on thier disneyland trip. She slept in another room with her family and I slept on the floor in "the living room" in a sleeping bag. We were allowed to venture off on our own and do as we liked, we met for dinner and actually wound up hanging out with her parents more than being by ourselves during the trip!

If you don't trust him, don't take him, but it is difficult for "things" to happen in the resort, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Please note, the above statement doesn't apply for everyone, if determined, someone will find a way, but it's summer time and the parks are full of people so I don't think it's as likely as if it were the off season and the attendance were low. If that makes much sense.

Allison
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Good point about the medical permission, we have taken our kids friends before, (and boyfriends) and have always gotten written permission from their parents.

We never had any reprocussions from bringing our daughters boyfriends. The kids knew what we expected, and behaved accordingly. They always were thankful and appreciated that we allowed them to join us on vacation.

Set your rules with the kids before you go, and let them know just what will and won't be expected to happen.

Mommy2NicknMax
07-24-2003, 09:43 AM
WOW, when I was 16 I was allowed to go to amusement parks alone w/my boyfriend. No adults, maybe some other friends. But once we could drive, we went w/o the folks. Never thought it was "odd" either. Just something we all did. But then again, we were all such good kids. :D ;)

Crystal

Lani
07-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Mommy2NicknMax
WOW, when I was 16 I was allowed to go to amusement parks alone w/my boyfriend. No adults, maybe some other friends. But once we could drive, we went w/o the folks. Never thought it was "odd" either. Just something we all did. But then again, we were all such good kids. :D ;)Crystal, I guess I wasn't very clear. I don't have any problem with teens visiting the park during the day. I was addressing the issue of taking someone else's minor child (a teen, in this case) for overnight trips.

Allison
07-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Ha Ha, I was was one of those "good kids" too!

Thats why mine go with us!

Oh, the 70's on the skyway... not a parent in sight...

Mommy2NicknMax
07-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Lani
Crystal, I guess I wasn't very clear. I don't have any problem with teens visiting the park during the day. I was addressing the issue of taking someone else's minor child (a teen, in this case) for overnight trips.

My folks did that too at times. They hated for us to have to get on stuff w/a stranger so they'd let us bring a friend. Until we turned 16 and then we went w/o them.

Although my folks took us camping (Ick!). No nice hotel for us. No, camping in Florida in the summer. Icky sticky!

Crystal

disneymeimei
07-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for your good advice.

He is a good kid, I know him well as he is at our house everyday and fits in with all us girls and dad.

Sleeping arrangements won't be a problem - we have a two room suite and have had very open discussions concerning what is appropriate and what consequence will be handed down for any and all indiscretions.

I appreciate the reminder for a medical release. Very important. I am not worried about damage or recklessness, he is a good kid.

As far as PDA, they are cuddle-bugs, but isn't that what sixteen year olds do? I have yet to see anything inappropriate.

Thank heavens for the all-you-can-eat buffets, because this boy does have an appetite!!!

I will bring the walkie-talkie (we don't have cellphones), arrange periodic check ins and keep up the dialog. Thanks again,

johnnyrad
07-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Take the leash off them and let them go...

Lani
07-24-2003, 11:10 AM
disneymeimei, sounds like you've got things well under control!

As for the walkie-talkie radios, AdrienneK had a good article about FRS radios (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock9.htm) in her Parenting in the Parks column. If you aren't used to using them regularly, it's probably a good idea to practice with everyone first. Basics, like "don't speak until after you've pressed the button for a moment" will go a long way to minimizing miscommunication. Also, since those radios are so popular these days, expect your channel to be crowded with other traffic. Consider using handles -- something like "Team Red" and "Team Blue" (replace with your own names) will sound unique and more professional. Addressing your own name, then their name, before you state your message, and then saying "over" when you're done, will help a whole lot. For example:

Not optimal:

"Hey mom, where are you guys gonna be now?"
"Is this Katie?"

Better:

"This is Special K to SuperMama. Over."
"SuperMama here, Special K."
"SuperMama, what is your location? Over."
"We are at Small World, Special K."
"Roger that, SuperMama. We are headed that way now, and should reach you in 10 minutes. Special K out."

OK, so this sounds way dorky. But it's kinda like Spy Kids. If they are geeky, they might enjoy it.

disneymeimei
07-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Roger that Lani,
I like it!!! I am the silliest person when I get to Disneyland and the kids (even the teens) enjoy the silliness. They will get into it I'm sure... of course their names will have to have something to do with the Beatles (big time fans)!!
Over and out MeiMei

MontanaKC
07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
We've taken our 16 yr. old daughter and three of her friends to Disneyland several times. They had a blast - met up with us for meals, and kept in touch occasionally by cell phone.

I found that walkie talkies don't do a great job there. We have the motorola kind and apparently, so does half of Southern California with kids!

We couldn't seem to find a channel that wasn't already being used by at least one other set of people.

We ended up not using them at all, and it was just one more thing to lug around all day.

Hope you and your family have a great time!

Kim

hefferdude
07-24-2003, 03:36 PM
We have brought my 17 yr old son and his girlfriend to DLR many times. Sometimes they hang with the family but mostly shear off to do DL/DCA on their own and have never been any trouble. We get a suite or two adjacent rooms. Guys in one, ladies in the other. Being an adult leader for youth groups, the medical note is a sound one along with a short list of any conditions or current medications. And always set meeting times for meals and a curfew.

The GRMS radios are superior to the FRS types in a crowded area like DLR. They are fewer and more powerful with a greater combination of frequencies and encryptions. You can purchase combos for pretty cheap now.

OBTW - Lani's advice to use "handles" instead of your real name is an easy safe way to ID who you are talking to.
Just remember your 10-20 if you 10-100!!
( Where you are when you need a restroom ;) )

Lani
07-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by hefferdude
The GRMS radios are superior to the FRS types in a crowded area like DLR. They are fewer and more powerful with a greater combination of frequencies and encryptions. You can purchase combos for pretty cheap now.

OBTW - Lani's advice to use "handles" instead of your real name is an easy safe way to ID who you are talking to.
Just remember your 10-20 if you 10-100!!
( Where you are when you need a restroom ;) ) English translation: 10-20 means "location." "What's your 10-20?" means "Where are you?"

Just a small correction: the radios are GMRS, not GRMS (stands for "General Mobile Radio Service"), and to operate one, you must pay a $40 fee to the FCC (good for five years, I believe).

If you plan on using a walkie-talkie regularly and a lot, the GMRS is a good way to go, since it has considerably more channels you can talk on, in bands that are not available on the FRS radios.

I use a Motorola CP100 (http://www.myradiomall.com/ARSRADIO/radio_cp100.htm) two-way radio at work (I'm part of the volunteer emergency response team), and we do really short practice sessions once a week, just checking in, calling out other teams, and so forth. It makes a huge difference in how comfortable I've gotten with it, so I definitely encourage lots of practice. Try carrying them around on a weekend just around the house. Call your daughter while she's outside mowing the lawn (if she does such a thing) and so on.

SNL Addict
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
I did this at a Musical Fesival once where there are thousands of people, I Got onto a Walkie Talkie Channel and I just started telling people that they need to move to a new channel becuase we need to reserve this channel for security purposes. And to my surprise it worked! I was never so amazed in my life! SO I could just talk to my friend without anybody else it was cool and hilarious at the same time!

MontanaKC
07-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SNL Addict
I did this at a Musical Fesival once where there are thousands of people, I Got onto a Walkie Talkie Channel and I just started telling people that they need to move to a new channel becuase we need to reserve this channel for security purposes. And to my surprise it worked! I was never so amazed in my life! SO I could just talk to my friend without anybody else it was cool and hilarious at the same time!

SNL Addict -

Where were you when I needed you??? LOLOL

What a great idea!

Thanks -

Kim

dsnylndmom
07-24-2003, 05:47 PM
SNL Addict that's great! LMAO I'm going to WDW in 9(yay) days and I'm going to remember that one!

As for the 16 year old's in the park, go for it. They'll be fine and then they won't be moping for having to stay with Mom ;)

We used those Disney Princess walkie talkie's in the park last week for DL's 48th and they worked just fine. We had one occasion where we had others on our channel but that was it.

Funny thing about those units is you can press a certain button and a princess will say something like "well Hi" "heehee" "okie dokie" etc. Every single time I went to the bathroom my friend would start pressing that dang button over and over!

Oh it it was funny when we made our friend Dave carry one around. He's a big guy and he's carrying around a pink and purple Princess walkie talkie and we would have to say "Princess Dave come in" LOL ohhhh he was so mad!:p

SNL Addict
07-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Im not sure if my idea would work in at theme park I was at a Music Festival and the people there were not probably using there full brains due to a little green plant. But hey its worth a shot if the people acctually listen LOL!

mrs. dr jones
07-24-2003, 07:19 PM
we spent alot of money on walkie talkies we tried using them on several occasions (we are there a couple times a week) too many people playing around, cutting off your message,on more than several occasions extremely foul language and some xxx rated on a few. we finaly got prepaid cell phones. they work a lot better no interference.