PDA

View Full Version : Disney Store and official DLR merchandise

MidwayManiac
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't frequent a lot of Disney stores so this was a revelation to me (perhaps it's common knowledge to some of you). Browsing through the outlet mall here in Myrtle Beach, S.C. I tried the Disney Store to find about a fourth of their store's inventory is from the Disneyland Resort. 

The DLR items alone occupied about 9 or 10 racks of clothes for all ages; a couple table of shirts; and some shelf space for non apparel type things.
All of it had official DLR tags and what not.  Many of the tees were marked down to $5.99. 
There was some nice stuff. I guess some maybe bounced back due to being overstocked or it wasn't moving at the resort. There was a lot of it.

Finding a ton of DLR stuff 2,500 miles from the resort was a bit surprising. Is this common in the South and on the East coast?
Oh if you're ever in the vicinity it's the N. Myrtle Beach Tangers outlet mall off highway 17.

tea4two
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't know if you saw this recent thread, but it may shed some light on your experience: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?185555-Disney-Character-Outlet-Pomona-closing-Fullerton-being-renamed-and-moving
Hope you were able to do some good shopping!

TTFN92
06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
We have one of those here in AZ. It's at AZ Mills Mall in Tempe. I think it's great!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
We had 1 come through Spokane, WA a couple times since I've lived, since 2005. I like it since it gives me some great deals on wonderful Disneyland merchandise at excellent prices in between trips.

olegc
06-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't frequent a lot of Disney stores so this was a revelation to me (perhaps it's common knowledge to some of you). Browsing through the outlet mall here in Myrtle Beach, S.C. I tried the Disney Store to find about a fourth of their store's inventory is from the Disneyland Resort. .

was your store an OFFICIAL Disney Store or was it a Disney outlet (using Disney in it's name but not necessarily owned and operated by Disney itself). That latter would somewhat confirm what was speculated in the other thread - but - if it was an official Disney store of the mall variety then that WOULD be interesting...

TTFN92
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Ours is an official Disney Store that is an outlet. We have had the traveling Disneyland merchandise store come and that is completely different. The first time it was great and the rest have gotten worse each year.

olegc
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Ours is an official Disney Store that is an outlet. We have had the traveling Disneyland merchandise store come and that is completely different. The first time it was great and the rest have gotten worse each year.

i wonder if there are any here in So Cal - or is Vegas the only one (I think there is one in Vegas, just as you enter town).

SigalTchelet
06-29-2012, 03:45 PM
i wonder if there are any here in So Cal - or is Vegas the only one (I think there is one in Vegas, just as you enter town).

There are Disney Stores at the Outlet Malls in Camarillo, Ontario, San Diego and Gilroy supposedly: http://www.mallseeker.com/disneystoreoutlet-outlets.aspx?state=5

currence
06-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Per the Disney website, the only three in So Cal labeled as outlets are in Camarillo, Ontario, and the outlet mall near TJ.

olegc
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
There are Disney Stores at the Outlet Malls in Camarillo, Ontario, San Diego and Gilroy supposedly: http://www.mallseeker.com/disneystoreoutlet-outlets.aspx?state=5

hmm - never considered Ontario Mills a true outlet mall. FWIW - there are THREE in Las Vegas.

currence
06-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Ontario Mills is that weird mix of some outlets and some regular stores. Personally, before the change to stocking some DL merchandise, I never thought any of the Disney Store outlets belonged in outlet malls, since they seemed identical to regular Disney stores including the sale of the week items. Now at least there is a corner carved out of an otherwise regular store which stocks actual outlet style merchandise.

In my opinion this is a lot better than selling a distinct line of clothing at the "outlet" version of a store but that's a whine for a different thread.

TTFN92
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
hmm - never considered Ontario Mills a true outlet mall. FWIW - there are THREE in Las Vegas.
AZ Mills is one of those that is a mix of regular and outlet.

MidwayManiac
06-29-2012, 10:19 PM
was your store an OFFICIAL Disney Store or was it a Disney outlet (using Disney in it's name but not necessarily owned and operated by Disney itself). That latter would somewhat confirm what was speculated in the other thread - but - if it was an official Disney store of the mall variety then that WOULD be interesting...

It was an outlet store which, I guess, is what threw me off since the only 2 Disney stores I ever step foot in are mall stores and they offer no resort specific merch that I've seen. I'll have to visit the store at Ontario mills to check out the DLR items when I'm there (I never have bothered to go in that one).

One of my initial thoughts in the Myrtle Beach outlet was the cost ineffectiveness of shipping this merch across country to sell it at slashed prices. But I've since abandoned that thought as it is probably naive to assume the items ever actually resided in Anaheim.

AVP
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
But I've since abandoned that thought as it is probably naive to assume the items ever actually resided in Anaheim.
And you've identified one of the problems. ;o) When Disney started selling theme park merchandise through the DisneyStore.com, they added a new inventory location - the Tennessee distribution center. Those orders are not fulfilled through Disneyland or Walt Disney World, and those Resorts don't handle the clearance goods.

As a result, Disney has started distributing overstock and clearance theme park goods to the Disney Stores and Disney Store-owned outlets.

rustymick
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM

I frequent the Disney Store in the Chandler Mall, I didn't know that the Az Mills Mall had an outlet one. I hate the Mills mall and haven't been there in so long but, now I'll have to go there. Thanks.

(I used to love the Fiesta Mall one, but since they changed the whole mall, I'm not sad that it's gone from there.)

TTFN92
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM

I frequent the Disney Store in the Chandler Mall, I didn't know that the Az Mills Mall had an outlet one. I hate the Mills mall and haven't been there in so long but, now I'll have to go there. Thanks.

(I used to love the Fiesta Mall one, but since they changed the whole mall, I'm not sad that it's gone from there.)
The Fiesta Mall store was the best. It made me feel like I was in DL. We were all sad when it closed even though we didn't go there anymore except on a rare occasion. We usually go to the San Tan store. I've noticed that ST and Chandler carry different thing, or at least they did. There were a few times I went to Chandler looking for something I saw at ST and they didn't have it.

rustymick
07-04-2012, 08:18 PM
The Fiesta Mall store was the best. It made me feel like I was in DL. We were all sad when it closed even though we didn't go there anymore except on a rare occasion. We usually go to the San Tan store. I've noticed that ST and Chandler carry different thing, or at least they did. There were a few times I went to Chandler looking for something I saw at ST and they didn't have it.

The Chandler store runs out of stuff so fast! I purchased some of the 25th Anniversary pens and went back 2 days later and they were all gone. I'm not sure if they have that big a turn-over or they just didn't have that much. Either way--when I see something there I get it right then.