PDA

View Full Version : Line cutting / place saving on Radiator Springs Racers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jrsharp21
06-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I have been on RS Racers three times the past two days. I have waited out the normal line each time. I must say that the line etiquette or lack there of is really bad on the racers. I am noticing a trend of a group sending one or two people to stand in line and once they get further into the line the rest of the group comes and joins them. Another thing I am noticing that many people are leaving their place but having someone from the group stay, and then they go get drinks, food, etc and then come back 20 to 30 minutes later and rejoin the line. Both of these were especially bad this evening.

One other issue I have seen that slows up the line is the manipulation of the single rider line. You are getting the people who know they are going into the single rider line but when they get to the front they beg the CM to not split them up. So instead of continuing into the single rider que, they are put into the normal line que in front of people who have waited out the entire line.

I know it's still early in the ballgame and kinks will get worked out but just throwing out some observations.

savvyshadow
06-22-2012, 01:58 AM
I was there Wednesday and attempted to wait to ride this. I noticed the horrible line ettiquite to be exactly what you described. It's extremely frustrating to see large groups cutting through the line and not knowing if they are really going up to meet someone or just cutting. I waited for about an hour in line and ended up leaving the line because we decided it just wasn't worth it to wait anymore based on where we had gotten within that hour and how much line there was left to go. I definately saw a lot of frustration with all the people going in and out of the lines. I didn't get far enough up there to see what was happening with the single rider line, but I did notice that single rider and fast pass seemed to move quite quickly while the standby line(which I was in) would often not move at all for ten to fifteen minutes at a time. The ride also went down twice during the hour I actually waited which didn't help. My niece was freezing and we were all tired so we ultimately just left the line when we were finally able to see how much more line there was to go. I never was able to ride it. My plan is to try again in a few weeks with early entry.

~savvy

fairestoneofall
06-22-2012, 03:38 AM
The poor line etiquette doesn't surprise me with lines as long as they have been. I don't know each situation personally, but I do know that I've had to get out of line several times to take one of my boys (5&6) to the restroom when we are waiting in an line for an hour or more. I also know that I have and will continue to get out of line to get them food if it helps their behavior in line. It will make those around me have a more pleasurable experience if my boys are not whining because they are bored or hungry. I mean, I'm not sure I could even get away with not going to the restroom for 2.5 hours, especially in the summer heat when I'm doing my darndest to stay hydrated. I know that some people just "cut" to cut, but I also think other park guests should give some grace to others, especially if the don't know their situation.
Nobody likes to be cut in front of when waiting in line, but really just trying to play the devil's advocate here.

AnotherJenny
06-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Well, this wasn't on RSR, but I once went straight to Indy when the park opened. After about 25 minutes a group of 6 pushed in front of us, where a single person was holding their place. They then proceeded to high-5 that he saved their spot while they all rode Space. I thought that was obnoxious. I don't have a problem with taking kids to the bathroom, eating in line, whatever. But if the line is known to be over an hour wait, guests could get their food before getting in the line. It would also depend on the size of the group. Like 1 person holding a spot in line for 6 is different than 5 people waiting for 2 to go to the bathroom.

sjhanksaz
06-22-2012, 05:29 AM
When one or two people hold a spot for a bunch of other people it's just wrong. I don't mind if it's one or two stragglers catching up with the group but when it's a number of people then chances are they were just over riding something else and planned to slide into the line so they would not have to wait.

ainsley09
06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
In a 6 hour line I have no problem with space saving while people go to the bathroom, eat a meal, or even go on another ride.

Single rider line should only be for single riders though. Shame on the CMs for caving!

jrsharp21
06-22-2012, 06:43 AM
The three times i havr ridden Racers the lines have been 90 minutes to 100 minutes. And this was the middle of the day the past two days. I understand the need to use the bathroom. They do have CM's selling food and drinks walking around the line area.

My biggest complaint was last night people were leaving lines in groups to grab beers and drinks from matt hatter and then jumping back in line at the front of the line.

Drince88
06-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Single rider line should only be for single riders though. Shame on the CMs for caving!
Though I have no problem with a group going into the single rider line AS LONG AS they abide by the rules of that line (parties WILL be split up).

There have been times at Test Track in Epcot when I'm riding single rider solo, or even with one other person, and luck would have it there's a party of 4 that needs their car 'filled out' (it has the same 3-3 seating as RSR) and no parties of two near the front of the line - so two people from the single rider line ride together. But that's just luck.

Shortpix77
06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
This is such a pet peeve of mine. I've seen people try the Single Rider "please don't split us up" thing many times before -- super irritating and inconsiderate to everyone waiting in the standby line. If you want to ride together, get in the regular line; you are not more important than other people, and their time is just as valuable as yours!! The last time I saw this happen at Soarin', it was a mother and her (20-year-old) daughter. The daughter looked a little embarrassed that the mother was begging to not split up, but the mother was adamant. The CM didn't cave!! He actually pointed to the regular line and told her if she wanted to ride with her daughter, that was the line she needed to be in. Loved it. She eventually allowed the separation, and after they left, I saw multiple people commend the CM for sticking to his guns. Hopefully the Radiator Springs Racers CMs will stick to theirs too!

Like Drince said, it's fine if you get lucky, but there shouldn't be an expectation of special treatment or staying together in Single Rider.

adriennek
06-22-2012, 07:15 AM
The poor line etiquette doesn't surprise me with lines as long as they have been. I don't know each situation personally, but I do know that I've had to get out of line several times to take one of my boys (5&6) to the restroom when we are waiting in an line for an hour or more. I also know that I have and will continue to get out of line to get them food if it helps their behavior in line. It will make those around me have a more pleasurable experience if my boys are not whining because they are bored or hungry. I mean, I'm not sure I could even get away with not going to the restroom for 2.5 hours, especially in the summer heat when I'm doing my darndest to stay hydrated. I know that some people just "cut" to cut, but I also think other park guests should give some grace to others, especially if the don't know their situation.
Nobody likes to be cut in front of when waiting in line, but really just trying to play the devil's advocate here.

get out of my head.

This was my thought. I wouldn't have a problem with people popping out of a multi-hour line to run to the bathroom or get a drink. I'm not surprised that groups would send two people to wait while the others do something else. Families with small children do this all the time in Fantasyland. Some people consider it strategy others consider it cutting.

I can't STAND people who pull the trick where they claim that they're just catching up with family and they're not. I really can't. And I think it's situations like that which make me suspicious and very easily annoyed when I see (usually) kids pushing through lines.

But when a line is over 2 hours long? I'm going to give people some leeway. Especially if they have kids in the group. Frankly, in my last article, I suggested that people bring electronic games for their kids who are in long lines - but I'd rather the kids were out and about in the parks working off some energy than having their heads buried in electronic games. They get that enough!

Two more comments:

Until Disney monitors and regulates it, it's going to happen. And I'm not sure what they would do to monitor that.

As for the Single Rider Line: YES. Shame on the CMs for caving in to those cheaters. No. It's single rider. You got into the Single Rider Line. You will be treated as a Single Rider.

monkeyboy
06-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Rather than retype this whole section from a prior post of mine, I'm gonna be lazy and just copy and paste it here...

I don't go in as a group of people through the Single Rider lines in order to get on the rides quicker (that happened twice on the Indiana Jones ride - there was a group of 5 teens in front of me that obviously knew each other as they were poking, tickling, slapping each other, and yet, they each had Single Rider passes. And behind me, there was a group of 4 frat guys who obviously knew each other as well, judging from them grabbing the SR passes from each other, shoulder punches and lots of "DUUUUUUUUUUUDES" being yelled --- I was the only actual Single Rider in the Single Rider line... the CM assigning seats caught them though, when she was putting one teen in row 2 and another in row 3 the teens said "Oh, we want to ride together" and the CM said "Not with Single Rider passes, you're not."

I wanted to grab the CM and break into a festive happy-dance...
and give her a mansion and a yacht....

pixar
06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
As for the Single Rider Line: YES. Shame on the CMs for caving in to those cheaters. No. It's single rider. You got into the Single Rider Line. You will be treated as a Single Rider.

Last time I rode Expedition Everest, there were 3 of us and we waited in the normal queue. A couple was in the single rider line, and they were assigned to rows 4 and 7 (or something like that). The guy then asked if I can switch with his wife? I'd rather not, but at the same time I didn't have a really good reason not to. The CM saw what was happening, and he, in a loud voice, said something like "no, you two were in the single rider line, and you will ride single with other people!" I wanted to shake the CM's hand.

curtsinore
06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Well, this sure has been educational!!! I didn't know that indy or splash had single rider passes. Not that I would use them as I am pretty much an off season visitor and morning visits and FPs give me more than enough time to ride. ( my son uses scream and space single rider passes) So now what is the bigger secret, single rider passes for a variety of rides or the MousePlanet Fantasmic light pole trick?

Shortpix77
06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
So now what is the bigger secret, single rider passes for a variety of rides or the MousePlanet Fantasmic light pole trick?

MousePlanet Fantasmic light pole trick?? Do tell.

Toocherie
06-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't go in as a group of people through the Single Rider lines in order to get on the rides quicker (that happened twice on the Indiana Jones ride - there was a group of 5 teens in front of me that obviously knew each other as they were poking, tickling, slapping each other, and yet, they each had Single Rider passes. And behind me, there was a group of 4 frat guys who obviously knew each other as well, judging from them grabbing the SR passes from each other, shoulder punches and lots of "DUUUUUUUUUUUDES" being yelled --- I was the only actual Single Rider in the Single Rider line... the CM assigning seats caught them though, when she was putting one teen in row 2 and another in row 3 the teens said "Oh, we want to ride together" and the CM said "Not with Single Rider passes, you're not."

Well, either I'm misunderstanding what the single rider line means or you are. It was always my belief that the single rider line didn't mean you had to be alone--it just meant that you were subject to being placed to fill up a row/car/other vehicle and you wouldn't likely be seated with your party. If you had a group of 150 you could all go in the single rider line; but obviously you wouldn't ride together---and it might take a while since depending on the party sizes of the people in the regular queue there only might be one person (or no persons) seated in any vehicle from the single rider line. The teens and the frat boys were more than entitled to be in the single rider line. Their "fault" was wanting to be seated together--that's not something you should ask for or expect in the single rider line.

3Princesses1Prince
06-22-2012, 09:00 AM
My favorite "line cutting" story: we were a group of about 8-10 going on Splash. It was early in the day and the line was barely outside the building. We entered at the side gate (across from canoes?). As about half our group entered, another group decided to enter the same gate along the side of us. Somehow they got in the middle of our group. We told them we were all together. They demanded they should get to go in front of us instead of behind us because they were "in front" of part of our group....ummm because you pushed your way past the 7 and 8 year olds that were entering the line at the same time as you, in between the group that included their parents in front of and behind them!

curtsinore
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
shortpix- I will reply later with the secret, don't want to hijack the thread!!! But I myself am still in disbelief that all my 5 years here on MP, that I never paid attention to the detail about single rider lines outside of Screamn, Space and Grizzly. I use the Grizzly single rider when son is riding Screamn

monkeyboy
06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, either I'm misunderstanding what the single rider line means or you are. It was always my belief that the single rider line didn't mean you had to be alone--it just meant that you were subject to being placed to fill up a row/car/other vehicle and you wouldn't likely be seated with your party. If you had a group of 150 you could all go in the single rider line; but obviously you wouldn't ride together---and it might take a while since depending on the party sizes of the people in the regular queue there only might be one person (or no persons) seated in any vehicle from the single rider line. The teens and the frat boys were more than entitled to be in the single rider line. Their "fault" was wanting to be seated together--that's not something you should ask for or expect in the single rider line.
My understanding was that it was for a single rider, not for a group. HOWEVER - I did check out the Disney site and single rider line and they say:
"Single Rider Line

Select attractions feature single rider lines that may reduce your wait time if you are willing to split up your party and ride alone. Look for signs at the attraction queues or ask a Cast Member for help. Subject to availability."

So, it would look as if you're correct on that, but I would still be annoyed at the groups using it to just cut down their line time and expecting to ride together.

currence
06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
My favorite "line cutting" story: we were a group of about 8-10 going on Splash. It was early in the day and the line was barely outside the building. We entered at the side gate (across from canoes?). As about half our group entered, another group decided to enter the same gate along the side of us. Somehow they got in the middle of our group. We told them we were all together. They demanded they should get to go in front of us instead of behind us because they were "in front" of part of our group....ummm because you pushed your way past the 7 and 8 year olds that were entering the line at the same time as you, in between the group that included their parents in front of and behind them!

When I have had obnoxious groups like that I tell them that if they want to be together, they are welcome to go back to the rest of their group. If it's just one or two people catching up I don't mind but having one or two
people race ahead and then 10+ come and "catch up" really bugs me. Yes, walking with a group is slower, you won't get to do as much. Get over it and enjoy the day with your friends.

Drince88
06-22-2012, 09:59 AM
I wish there was a way (with the super long lines) that you could 'get a pass' from a CM to exit, and then when you come back, you'd show that to the people you have to go past to get back with your group. But you'd need a lot of CMs to make that work and collect them when you get back with your group, otherwise people would just hold onto their pass to use again and again to catch up with their (nonexistent) friend.

Toocherie
06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
So, it would look as if you're correct on that, but I would still be annoyed at the groups using it to just cut down their line time and expecting to ride together.

We have no disagreement there!

cstephens
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with groups of people who know each other using the single rider line. I think the largest group I've done that with is 4 people. As long as you don't expect to ride together, it's fine. When we had 4, 2 ended up riding together, and the other two each rode separately, all on different cycles though, so whoever finished earlier just waited outside until their rides were over.

monkeyboy
06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with groups of people who know each other using the single rider line. I think the largest group I've done that with is 4 people. As long as you don't expect to ride together, it's fine. When we had 4, 2 ended up riding together, and the other two each rode separately, all on different cycles though, so whoever finished earlier just waited outside until their rides were over.

Yes, as I said, I was under the impression that Single Rider lines were for Single riders only, but I checked the Disney site and I saw that I was incorrect, and it can be used for any groups willing to ride single. And I would still be annoyed at people using it for their group to cut through the lines and then expecting the CM to seat them together.

MickeyDogMom
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
I go with my family through single rider (sometimes, most of the time I prefer FP). Everyone goes and we all cycle through, it gives me a break from my them. I would NEVER consider asking a CM to let us go together. Sometimes we get in the same vehicle, sometimes we don't.

I can't stand the people that shove up ahead of you. I notice at ToT, in the elevator section it can get bad as everyone tries to get out at the same time. People get separated or they'll go stand on the light tiles and when the CM reminds them to be on the dark tiles they'll try to scoot in with me. That doesn't happen. I need my bubble. On our last trip one young man decided to do that and my sister brazenly told him as he tried to stand in with another woman and her daughter that "She was waiting here first, go." He ended up even further behind then he would have if he had just retained his position.

I can handle one or going on a bathroom run or to grab a drink but when there are two waiting and six join them, I begin to lose my mind just a little. When I went on RSR, I only had a few people go past me. I rode it five times during the premiere but I imagine it's much worse now. :(

corona
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
The Fantasmic "secret" isn't much of one - it's been well publicized on another board for a couple of years now.