PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of little DL questions

Icy Bacon
07-22-2003, 12:44 AM
Ok, I don't really post much here, but oooh how I love lurking... anyways, I'm going to Disneyland on Weds. and since I've only got one day I really want to make the most of the trip and hopefully experience all the little things I didn't know about until I started coming here. For background info, I'll be at the park the entire open day from 8-11 and will have a standard one-day ticket, and haven't been for two years.

Anyways, the questions...
1. I've never seen Fantasmic before, so I really want to get a good viewing spot, so how early should I get over there and where should I sit? I'm 6'0 if that makes any difference.

2. Is there any chance of seeing Rod Miller at the piano on a Weds? What time would he most likely be there, and are there other people who play the piano too?

3. What priority should I give to going on the various Fantasyland dark rides? I'm really up for a kick of childhood nostalgia, and I don't think I've ever even done Pan.

4. What time will fastpasses for Splash, Indy and the Mansion run out, and is a single rider line really faster for Indy and Splash?

5. How long would it take a fast walker to get from I-5, to parking at Mickey & Friends to the main park entrance?

6. Should I care more about getting on Pooh than the other dark rides? It's been so long they'd all feel like new rides.

Thanks folks, and if anyone can think of other experiences in the park I may have not had yet, or especially good (semi-cheap) food for lunch/dinner I'd love to hear thoughts on that stuff! :)

Morrigoon
07-22-2003, 01:12 AM
1. I've never seen Fantasmic before, so I really want to get a good viewing spot, so how early should I get over there and where should I sit? I'm 6'0 if that makes any difference.

You have two choices: get there super early (we're talking like 2 hrs early) and hold a spot for the 9pm followed by fireworks, OR you can see Believe! (fireworks) from Main Street, and then go grab your spot for the 10:30. I suggest the 2nd option. See the fireworks from the end of Main Street (between Coke Corner and the photo shop). The second it ends, immediately go towards the Frontierland entrance, before the crowd gets too thick, and enter NOS from there. You might be able to squeeze in one ride before sitting down (if you have a fastpass), but it all depends on how important a perfect F! seat is to you. Even w/out the perfect seat, you'll still be very impressed by it. Obviously the area you're aiming for is the lower riverfront (what you might call in front of the seawall). But there are other good spots too. Last minute, you want to grab a spot in front of the Golden Horseshoe. If you stand on the porch near the Stage Door Cafe you'll get a pretty good side view - but by this hour of the day, treat yourself by getting there early to a good spot and sitting down ;).

2. Is there any chance of seeing Rod Miller at the piano on a Weds? What time would he most likely be there, and are there other people who play the piano too?

Good chance of it. Park closes at 11, so he'll arrive about 3:30. There's a table pulled up to his left hand side that's pretty much open seating, it's where his fans usually hang out. There are other people who play there: Johnny (identified by lack of a table next to the piano), Alan (Rod's former protogé, young guy, fast fingers), and I don't know the other guy's name, but he wears a straw boater - only he and Johnny will wear it.

3. What priority should I give to going on the various Fantasyland dark rides? I'm really up for a kick of childhood nostalgia, and I don't think I've ever even done Pan.

Well, remember it's summer. Here's what you should do:
You're getting there at opening, great. Grab a fastpass for something immediately. Go ride some Fantasyland stuff while waiting for your fp to become good. Immediately get another fp, etc etc. Save up your fastpasses for later in the day. It won't take long for lines in Fantasyland to get long, so once they do, stop. Ride Pan first, followed by Toad. Reason is, Snow White and Pinocchio will have short lines at night, but the other two always have long ones. Catch teacups whenever convenient, same with Carousel. Dumbo is hit or miss on the line, but do it early or late. Small World is a must do, especially after they redid the soundtrack!

4. What time will fastpasses for Splash, Indy and the Mansion run out, and is a single rider line really faster for Indy and Splash?

Indy's usually out by 8:30. Forget fastpass, if you're alone, do single rider for both Indy and Splash. At Indy, you'll need to grab a single rider pass from the CMs at the front, at Splash, just head up the exit. Don't stand in SMs wheelchair line, pass them and go around the corner- there's a bridge that you go over to get to the single rider line on the other side- ask for help if you need it. Mansion is a waste of a fastpass because later in the evening it will have virtually no line.

5. How long would it take a fast walker to get from I-5, to parking at Mickey & Friends to the main park entrance?

That depends entirely upon where you get parked. I-5 to M&F is quick because of the way they route it now, but it's quicker coming from the north. From the south it will take you 5 minutes, depending on lights. It's going to take you 5 minutes to get downstairs to the tram, and 0-10 minutes for a tram to arrive. It's about 3-5 minutes by tram to DTD, and another 3 minutes walking to the entry gate. You'll have lines to enter, and bag check, that can take 0-10 minutes - have your bag unzipped and ready when you get to the table. Lines in the middle are shorter than the ones closest to you, so pass the first lines and go to the middle of the gates.

6. Should I care more about getting on Pooh than the other dark rides? It's been so long they'd all feel like new rides.

Pooh has fastpass, get it early. Remember, Splash you wanna go single rider, so get the fp for Pooh instead. If you have to wait more than 5 minutes, the ride isn't worth it, so don't go standby. Save your time for going on Pan ;)

Thanks folks, and if anyone can think of other experiences in the park I may have not had yet, or especially good (semi-cheap) food for lunch/dinner I'd love to hear thoughts on that stuff! :)

Well, it seems you're not park-hopping, so I'll withold my suggestion of Trattoria in DCA. If you're not interested in burgers, then you may want to go to River Belle Terrace for sandwiches. Not very cheap though. Another good thought is Naples in DTD- they have a window out front that sells a slice of pizza and a coke for $5. It's enough if you have light to medium hunger. White Water snacks in the GCH is good and okay prices, but a long walk for someone who needs to do the park in one day. Naples is just beyond the tram area. Oh, if you eat at the Hungry Bear (incidentally, they have veggie burgers), you must try the apple pie bites things - they taste like Christmas, I swear!

Icy Bacon
07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Thank you SO much Morrigoon, you most likely just significantly improved my day tomorrow. Last time I had some troubles with Indy's single line, but it sounds like the way to go. Now time for the drive down... :( :) :( :confused: :cool:

CarlieB
07-22-2003, 07:07 PM
especially good (semi-cheap) food for lunch/dinner

I'm a fan of the Rancho del Zocalo in DL - yummy food, and not too pricey (but it will fill you up). It's a nice place to sit for a while and rest your feet:)

Otherwise, a beer and a snack at the Uva Bar in DTD is always pleasant...

Have a good one:)

tabacco
07-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon

I don't recommend walking on I-5, no matter how fast you are ;)

Leap for Joy
07-22-2003, 09:22 PM
For Fantasmic!, I'd suggest catching the train to NOS rather than going against traffic through the Frontierland side. We were able to weasel into a good spot near the river before the fireworks started (a lot of people get up and start walking after the first showing of Fantasmic!). We watched the fireworks from there and then waited for the second showing. Sure, it was an hour wait, but that's less than we would have waited for the first show and we had amazing seats.

drjones
07-23-2003, 07:50 AM
ooh yeah, rancho del zocalo.....good ribs melt off the bone....
i always had a soft spot for eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace (does anyone remember when the burgers were called "Moon burgers?) and Village Haus.