PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical reviews

Pages : [1] 2

Teddi
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
We got a good thread going about the CCR and reviews but I'm interested in the FF&P experiences. I'm a soup fan and their menu is a great rotating variety. Anybody tried it yet?

OOPS, make that the Fiddler, Fifer (what's a fifer?) & Practical cafe.

cstephens
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I had the roast beef and cheddar sandwich. It was really good - love the horseradish sauce.

And APPARENTLY, if I make it out to DCA this weekend, I'm gonna have to try the turkey reuben (and hope they've fixed the signs). There's an ongoing debate among some friends about that particular sandwich.

Drince88
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
OOPS, make that the Fiddler, Fifer (what's a fifer?) & Practical cafe.

Someone who plays the Fife - as in Fife and Drum -- flute, basically. Did you ever see the Disney 3 Pigs short?
(I'll fix the title)

bennette
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I had the roast beef and cheddar. It was not bad (bear in mind this is ME talking).

I thought the cut of the meat was not quite on the angle it should have been so a few pieces were too thick and I thought there was a little too much meat in general. The flavor of it was good overall and the bun was also nicely done. The sauce was excellent but there was not enough in proportion to the meat. Next time I would get some on the side.

My husband had the salami sandwich, and scraped off something he said tasted like olives and certainly looked like the advertised tapenade to me. I don't think he knew what tapenade was or he wouldn't have ordered it. He said it was okay otherwise but didn't seem over the moon. I let him finish my meatwich and he liked mine better.

We had no drinks or desserts. The desserts looked like the usual Disney premade stuff to us, which we don't eat. And we don't drink coffee.

Malcon10t
06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I had the roast beef and cheddar. It was not bad (bear in mind this is ME talking). <snip> I thought there was a little too much meat in general. The flavor of it was good overall andcthe bun was also nicely done. The sauce was excellent but there was not enough in proportion to the meat. Next time I would get some on the side.It sounds like I will like the roast beef!!!

bennette
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
It sounds like I will like the roast beef!!!

I think you will. Just see if you can get extra sauce to be on the safe side.

Drince88
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
tasted like olives and certainly looked like the advertised tapenade to me.
That's a good thing, right?
Sounds like it might have been inspired by a muffaletta.

bennette
06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
That's a good thing, right?
Sounds like it might have been inspired by a muffaletta.

I think it's a good thing if you like green olives (this stuff looked pretty green to me). I don't.

I can tolerate regular tapenade or green olives on occasion if part of something really excellent. This wasn't it for us. YMMV. It just did not look at all appealing to me. (But then I can't think of the last time I ate salami of unknown origins, so to speak. You know how I am!)

tea4two
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
The Starbucks side of things has a lot of potential, but is still smoothing out the bumps. We had a venti hot tea and a tall decaf americano. Pretty straight forward at a regular Starbucks. The tea only came with 1 bag (usually a venti comes with 2 -- so I don't know if this was a mistake or if Disney limits the teabags) and they were out of Awake. DH said his americano tasted like regular brewed decaf, and the CM left it sitting on the counter without calling out the name, so it was cold by the time DH got it. But since it was opening weekend, we were expecting things like this. Overall, the service was very cheerful. Hopefully it will improve in execution over the next few weeks. We shared a cinnamon roll (Disney) and a slice of banana loaf (Starbucks). The AP discount was a pleasant surprise, since I hadn't been expecting it. Used my Starbucks card without any problems.

Teddi
06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Sounds good so far. I love olives of all kinds so the tapenade sounds yummy. I also like a good RB. I'm jazzed about a 'bucks in DLR! Hopefully the service and drinks improve with time.

Thanks Drince for the explanation and typo fix =D

danyoung
06-19-2012, 05:26 PM
I plan on trying out the roast beef for myself in about 3 weeks, so I'm most interested in any other reviews.

Toocherie
06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
It is good Dan. Really really good. A friend had the turkey reuben and it was "ok"--didn't have enough sauerkraut on it to suit her.

danyoung
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm spoiled on the reuben by a local Dallas chain called Jason's that makes a reuben so big that you can't really even eat it without taking some stuff out. MAJOR meat and sauerkraut, great bread. But that roast beast looks tasty!

fairestoneofall
06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
We had lunch there on 6/14. It was really pretty good, better than I bought it would be. DH had the turkey rueben. He liked it, I tried it and thought it was pretty good considering I don't really like rye bread and I'm not the biggest turkey sandwich fan, but I do like rueben sandwiches. I had the salami sandwich, and honestly, I don't remember there being an advertisement of tapenade on the sandwich and I know for a fact that my sandwich didn't have any olives on it because I do NOT like olives. But, I very well could have asked for "no olives" on the sandwich, I was overwhelmed by the media preview and the four kids we were chasing around the park. At any rate, I really enjoyed my sandwich, but it had a little too much meat for my own personal preference. I would have also liked more roughage on the sandwich, a little lettuce and tomato would be nice. I would totally eat here again.
Oh, and the kids had the standard PB&J that's served all over the resort and a turkey sandwich that was pretty plain.

bumblebeeonarose
06-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm spoiled on the reuben by a local Dallas chain called Jason's that makes a reuben so big that you can't really even eat it without taking some stuff out. MAJOR meat and sauerkraut, great bread. But that roast beast looks tasty!

Is it Jason's Deli? Those have popped up all around Las Vegas.

danyoung
06-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Sorry, yeah, Jason's Deli. I think they're branching out around the country. They have what the call a manager's special - a single trip to a salad bar combined with 1/2 of any one of their sandwiches. And they pack so much stuff into that reuben that 1/2 is plenty!

olegc
06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I had the roast beef and cheddar sandwich. It was really good - love the horseradish sauce.

And APPARENTLY, if I make it out to DCA this weekend, I'm gonna have to try the turkey reuben (and hope they've fixed the signs). There's an ongoing debate among some friends about that particular sandwich.

the RB&Cheddar I think is the same sandwich you can get at Jolly Holliday in that other place across the street, Disneyland (I think that's what they call it ;-) ).

cstephens
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
the RB&Cheddar I think is the same sandwich you can get at Jolly Holliday in that other place across the street, Disneyland (I think that's what they call it ;-) ).

Yeah, someone mentioned that to me. I haven't stepped foot into Jolly Holiday yet because it's been too busy every time I've passed by.

Oh, and this particular eating location at DCA? Someone I know refers to it as the "pig cafe", so I think that's what I'm calling it...

danyoung
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Al Lutz has been calling it that for months, and I've been among many who wishes he wouldn't. I doubt anyone will call it by its full name, but the FFP is just fine!

bennette
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, someone mentioned that to me. I haven't stepped foot into Jolly Holiday yet because it's been too busy every time I've passed by.

Hmm. Similar, I think, but not exact. Pig's was on a brioche roll and did not have caramelized onions (although they could have forgotten them).

Here is our review of the Jolly Holiday version. You'll see I have perpetual issues with meat that isn't cut right; I worked in a (good) deli for almost four years.

My husband did not care for his sandwich. It had plenty of roast beef but had been cut too thickly. This made it hard to chew. He also discovered several large lumps of fat, to the point he stopped eating. (Fat is to be expected to some extent, if you're dealing with a sliced meat but it did look pretty nasty.) The onion roll was flavorless and the sauce served mostly to make a mess (and make it hard to identify and remove lumps of fat!).

In other words, it was gross. But I think Fairest had one and thought it wasn't bad. It didn't taste or look anything like what we just had at the Pig but to be fair, we were reviewong two new places. YMMV.

They both had tons of meat, if that's your thing.

cstephens
06-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Al Lutz has been calling it that for months, and I've been among many who wishes he wouldn't. I doubt anyone will call it by its full name, but the FFP is just fine!

Hmmm, well, I can't help what anyone else calls it, and I'd likely call it "pig cafe" only to my friends. I wouldn't dream of calling it that to anyone else. But, I dislike FFP because it's incredibly generic - I hate the use of acronyms when it's not clear what you're talking about. On boards like this, I'm probably more likely to call it Fiddler, or, as a friend mentioned, just "Starbucks cafe".

danyoung
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Fiddler works for me! And I have the same problem with acronyms, especially when someone uses about 8 of 'em in a row!

olegc
06-20-2012, 10:04 PM

Oh, and this particular eating location at DCA? Someone I know refers to it as the "pig cafe", so I think that's what I'm calling it...

i call it pig cafe too. rolls off the "tongue" better ;-)

olegc
06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Hmm. Similar, I think, but not exact. Pig's was on a brioche roll and did not have caramelized onions (although they could have forgotten them).

Could be. I have not had the FFP version yet, though the taste preview provided to the media a couple of week prior to opening called it an onion roll and it looked like it did have onions - but no one has posted a thorough explanation of the item yet. I would not be surprised if the sandwich is "similar but not the same". A simple way to provide a difference.

bennette
06-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Could be. I have not had the FFP version yet, though the taste preview provided to the media a couple of week prior to opening called it an onion roll and it looked like it did have onions - but no one has posted a thorough explanation of the item yet. I would not be surprised if the sandwich is "similar but not the same". A simple way to provide a difference.

Mine was most definitely not an onion roll. It was brioche. Jolly Holiday's was definitely on an onion roll; no doubt what caused my husband to originally order it, as he loves onion rolls. But I would certainly agree they could at least be intended to be the same and simply have been messed up slightly by new CM's.

I have reminded my husband of the two sandwiches and at first he said they were the same, then he said, "Wait. Didn't that one have big chunks of fat and gristle in it? It was gross."

My husband is not exactly what you would call a picky eater so for us, for now, we'll stick with the Pig's beef sandwich.