PDA

View Full Version : Carthay Circle Restaurant--who's been?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

abkb76
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Just curious, who has already dined at the Carthay Circle Restaurant? I eagerly made reservations for my boyfriend and I when they were first made available and am now having serious second thoughts. We were at DCA for a bit yesterday and took a peak at the lunch menu, which is the time we have reservations. We were both blown away by the prices, for the lunch menu...as they do not seem to be that much less, if at all for the dinner menu.

Anybody had any experiences at Carthay yet? If so, do you believe the food was worthy of the price? While I know the price is higher for the experience of dining inside DCA...am just looking for honest opinions.

Thank you in advance!
: )

dznycrazy
06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Can i piggy back on this thread to ask on top of the original poster's question if you did it for World of Color passes? Did every single member in the party have to get an appetizer?

tea4two
06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Can i piggy back on this thread to ask on top of the original poster's question if you did it for World of Color passes? Did every single member in the party have to get an appetizer?

Recent info states that each member of the party must order an entree with either an appetizer or a dessert. And, of course, if all 3 are desired, then go ahead. But if you only want an entree + appetizer or entree + dessert, then that should be fine. But as with all things related to WOC, YMMV.

cstephens
06-18-2012, 06:02 PM
We had dinner there on Friday night, and yes, it was pretty amazing. The restaurant is on par with Napa Rose. Whether or not it's "worth it" is always a subjective viewpoint, but I'm making the comparison to Napa Rose to better understand the pricepoint. It's not like any of the other restaurants on property. It might be on par with the former Vineyard Room on the second floor above what is now Wine Country Trattoria. But also as a comparison, it's on a level above Blue Bayou.

For me, the prices aren't a reflection of dining inside DCA - it's more about the level of restaurant they are. I posted a bunch of pictures, but I'll try to get a actual review posted in the next couple of days, in case that would help.

As for World of Color, yes, each person needs to order an entree and then either an appetizer or a dessert, or at least it needs to equate that way. So, if two people go, and one person orders just an entree, the other person would need to order an appetizer, an entree and a dessert for them to both qualify for World of Color tickets.

We didn't get the passes because we weren't really interested and we didn't have time to see World of Color anyway.

Our dinner experience turned out to be much more than I expected, so I wouldn't hesitate to go back, though I don't know on a practical level how often that would be.

disneyland addict13
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I posted a bunch of pictures, but I'll try to get a actual review posted in the next couple of days, in case that would help.

I would love to see your pictures and read a review! We have dinner reservations at Carthay on July 28th and are really looking forward to it. My brother will have just finished culinary school so we have lots of great meals planned for our trip.

olegc
06-18-2012, 06:46 PM
We had dinner there on Friday night, and yes, it was pretty amazing. The restaurant is on par with Napa Rose. Whether or not it's "worth it" is always a subjective viewpoint, but I'm making the comparison to Napa Rose to better understand the pricepoint. It's not like any of the other restaurants on property. It might be on par with the former Vineyard Room on the second floor above what is now Wine Country Trattoria. But also as a comparison, it's on a level above Blue Bayou.

so I had a question. I plan to visit Carthay in august for lunch - but I wondered about dress code. I know it has been said that code at Blue Bayou is pretty lax, and even at Club 33 folks have come in shorts - but the pix I have seen for folks visiting Carthay have all been in Collared shirts and long pants. Not that I'm against that - but it will be August 7th and it may be hot. I was wondering whether a collared polo and khaki shorts would work. THoughts?

cstephens
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
so I had a question. I plan to visit Carthay in august for lunch - but I wondered about dress code. I know it has been said that code at Blue Bayou is pretty lax, and even at Club 33 folks have come in shorts - but the pix I have seen for folks visiting Carthay have all been in Collared shirts and long pants. Not that I'm against that - but it will be August 7th and it may be hot. I was wondering whether a collared polo and khaki shorts would work. THoughts?

OK, I'm going to preface this with - I'm a dork. So, take this for what it's worth given that disclaimer. (And, as I re-read what I wrote, I'm reminded that I babble. Sorry.)

I knew that I was going to have been in DCA all day on Friday before our dinner reservation. The only restaurant on property that actually has any kind of dress code is Club 33. I usually try not to dress too casually for Napa Rose, but when I've ended up making an impromptu visit, I've gone in there in shorts and a t-shirt, and I've never been treated any less because I was dressed like that.

The "dress code recommendation" for Carthay Circle is supposed to be resort wear, which means that anything you're allowed to wear into the parks is ok to wear into the restaurant. That being said, I was wearing jeans on Friday, and I had brought a nicer blouse to change into for dinner. I purposely wore a very specific t-shirt for the day because I knew I'd at least be visiting the Carthay Circle building. The husband convinced me that I should stay in that t-shirt for dinner because of where we were dining, so I hadn't actually planned on going in a t-shirt and jeans for our dinner there, but that's what I ended up doing. The t-shirt I was wearing was from the 70th anniversary of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" that was held at the resort in 2007. So on several occasions during dinner when the significance of Carthay Circle was brought up, as well as what Disney film was premiered there, I was literally wearing the answer. I didn't get any weird looks or get any bad treatment because I was in a t-shirt and jeans. The husband was in a collared polo and jeans (oftentimes his normal resort wear), and I think one of our friends was in a sweatshirt. I can't remember what our other friend was wearing, and I honestly don't remember what other people in the restaurant were wearing.

I think a collared polo and khaki shorts would be fine. It's really just what you're comfortable with. I don't think they're going to care one way or the other as long as you're not wearing a bikini or going shirtless. :)

Have a great time.

olegc
06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
thanks - great thorough answer.

Malcon10t
06-18-2012, 08:43 PM
the t-shirt i was wearing was from the 70th anniversary of "snow white and the seven dwarfs" that was held at the resort in 2007. So on several occasions during dinner when the significance of carthay circle was brought up, as well as what disney film was premiered there, i was literally wearing the answer.perfect!

Koala Gurl
06-19-2012, 06:01 AM
We just ate there last night. I would have to say it was OK. Not sure if my expectations were too high going in?

Dress - everyone we saw was in park attire

Service - sadly most let down here. Granted the place is new but our server didn't know the answer to some basic questions (e.g. After handing us the dessert menu, I asked what the country pie of the day was...she had to go check.). There were other similar questions and non answers and overall she was good but not great.

Food - also good but not great (could be what I ordered). Simple green salad was ok. Salad dressing was a bit bland yet salty (some form of vinaigrette I think.). The heirloom tomato salad was very good though. I had the bacon wrapped shrimp main course. Just average (tasty enough but not something I would order again.). For dessert I went with the country pie and asked for a scoop of vanilla ice cream that they wanted to charge $ extra for. Fine, I need I've cream with pie and I am glad I did, as the pie was predominately crust with little fruit.

That said, anytime I can have a nice leisurely dinner in the parks I am happy. I enjoyed the experience but won't probably be back for a meal right away.

Now, I do recommend popping into the lounge for a drink and maybe an appetizer.

fairestoneofall
06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Looking forward to lunch there on Sunday. I'm also going with a Snow White themed attire. :) Actually the three women in the group are. Can't wait to see the menu. The DH and I are very fond of Chef Sutton and Chef Gloria!

abkb76
06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Koala Gurl, your review was similar to what I've heard from others...glad I went ahead and cancelled my reservations for today. Also heard, like you suggested, going to the lounge is better option to experience Carthay.
: )

Shortpix77
06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm interested in going to the lounge for a drink and possibly appetizers. Is there a lounge menu posted anywhere? I was curious how many food options there were and what specialty drinks they have :-)

bennette
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
We have our first reservation Saturday and I'm looking forward to it.

I don't tend to visit a restaurant the first couple of days it's open, not even for my beloved Chef Sutton. There will be bugs and while I can be flexible, I'd rather not that be my first experience.

As cstephens said, price point is always subjective to the diner. In addition to Napa Rose, I will probably be comparing this restaurant to the two signatures that are inside a WDW park (as compared to a hotel). I think one is "worth it" and not the other. I do expect people to be dressed more casually. My experiences at some WDW hotel signature restaurants are not too different. All have been good, but some appeal to me more than others.

abkb76
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm interested in going to the lounge for a drink and possibly appetizers. Is there a lounge menu posted anywhere? I was curious how many food options there were and what specialty drinks they have :-)
I will take photos of the menu when I go next week!

olegc
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM

i believe disneylandlive.com may have posted a pic on their twitter feed and/or website.

oregontraveler
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM

I've looked all over for an actual menu & prices, nada. zip. zilch. But I did find a few mentions of the tapas available:
Hot Shrimp with a Chilled Spicy Tomato Shooter, Lobster Pad Thai with Cashew Tamarind Sauce, plus Duck Wings.
There was one other item, that I can't seem to find right now. The Lounge will also have signature cocktails that fit the restaurant theme.

bennette
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I found this on another site; just food, no drinks.

Lunch (Updated: 06/12)

Appetizers/Starter

Chilled watermelon Skewers - With Mango lime sorbet - $7.00

Ebi Shrimp Roll - With Red Jalapeno, Soy, Lemon Aioli,Avocado and cucumber. - $16.00

Hot Shrimp - With a chilled spicy tomato shooter - $5.00

Lobster Pad Thai Imperial Roll - With Cashew Tamarind sauce - $16.00

Roasted Moroccan Lamb Meatballs - With Tzatziki and pepperoncini - $12.00

Santa Monica Deviled Eggs - With smoked salmon and lemon creme fraiche - $10.00

Spicy Chicken Roll - With Cilantro, cucumber,and lettuce - $13.00

Vienamese Twice cooked Beef Tacos - With fresh pineapple mint salsa - $14.00

Warm BBQ Pork Roll - With Crispy Onions, Pea shoots, Daikon and Sesame Paper - $13.00

Warm Mediterranean Olives - . - $9.00

Warm Spanish Pimentos - With imported Chorizo, Mahon Cheese, Pine Nuts, and Sultanas - $12.00

Dessert

Finger Desserts - Trio of Cake Pops: Double Dark Chocolate Chunk, Pineapple Macadamia Nut Upside Down Cake and Raspberry white chocolate cheesecake - $9.00

Finger Desserts - Chocolate Truffles. Duo of dark and milk - $8.00

Finger Desserts - Mini Mousse Cones: Chocolate Fudge, salted caramel and chocolate Ganache. Coconut lemon custard snowball . Tiramisu with Frangelico Chatilly and Hazelnut Brittle - $12.00

Dinner (Updated: 06/12)

Appetizers/Starter

Chilled watermelon Skewers - With Mango lime sorbet - $7.00

Ebi Shrimp Roll - With Red Jalapeno, Soy, Lemon Aioli,Avocado and cucumber. - $16.00

Hot Shrimp - With a chilled spicy tomato shooter - $5.00

Lobster Pad Thai Imperial Roll - With Cashew Tamarind sauce - $16.00

Roasted Moroccan Lamb Meatballs - With Tzatziki and pepperoncini - $12.00

Santa Monica Deviled Eggs - With smoked salmon and lemon creme fraiche - $10.00

Spicy Chicken Roll - With Cilantro, cucumber,and lettuce - $13.00

Vienamese Twice cooked Beef Tacos - With fresh pineapple mint salsa - $14.00

Warm BBQ Pork Roll - With Crispy Onions, Peashoots, Daikon and Sesame Paper - $13.00

Warm Mediterranean Olives - . - $9.00

Warm Spanish Pimentos - With imported Chorizo, Mahon Cheese,Pine Nuts, and Sultanas - $12.00

Dessert

Finger Desserts - Chocolate Truffles. Duo of dark and milk - $8.00

Finger Desserts - Mini Mousse Cones: Chocolate Fudge, salted caramel and chocolate Ganache. Coconut lemon custard snowball . Tiramisu with Frangelico Chatilly and Hazelnut Brittle - $12.00

Finger Desserts - Trio of Cake Pops: Double Dark Chocolate Chunk, Pineapple Macadamia Nut Upside Down Cake and Raspberry white chocolate cheesecake - $9.00

bennette
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Not being a sushi expert, I had to see what "ebi shrimp" was but apparently it can mean either a shrimp or a prawn. Generally of the "jumbo" size.

olegc
06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
i googled and found this...
https://twitter.com/mousetalgia/statuses/213745464305127425

same info as bennette's - but pictures of the menus

tea4two
06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Someone on another site said that his party ate in the lounge, spent $150.00 for 4, and were not allowed to use the restaurant restrooms. A CM told them that the restroom is for restaurant patrons only. Lounge patrons must exit and use the nearest restroom on Hollywood Blvd. Does anyone know if this is true? I can understand wanting to keep lookyloos out (for example, I would never waltz into Napa Rose just to use the restrooms because they are "nicer"), but it does seem silly to deny paying diners use of the in-house facilities.

cstephens
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Someone on another site said that his party ate in the lounge, spent $150.00 for 4, and were not allowed to use the restaurant restrooms. A CM told them that the restroom is for restaurant patrons only. Lounge patrons must exit and use the nearest restroom on Hollywood Blvd. Does anyone know if this is true? I can understand wanting to keep lookyloos out (for example, I would never waltz into Napa Rose just to use the restrooms because they are "nicer"), but it does seem silly to deny paying diners use of the in-house facilities.

I can sort of see that because the only restrooms are upstairs, in the restaurant area. Technically, the lounge doesn't have restrooms.

Sheila
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
The Dining webpages for MousePlanet's Disneyland Park Guide have been fully updated with the Carthay Circle and all other new DCA restaurant menus:

Carthay Circle Restaurant Menus (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/1172/Disneyland-Resort/Disney-California-Adventure/Buena-Vista-Street/Carthay-Circle-Restaurant)

Hope this helps!

cstephens
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
The Dining webpages for MousePlanet's Disneyland Park Guide have been fully updated with the Carthay Circle and all other new DCA restaurant menus:

But that's only the menus for the restaurant upstairs. I did look for the lounge menu, and there's nothing there yet. I think Jen posted pictures of the menus on Twitter. I'd have to go find them.

Shortpix77
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
But that's only the menus for the restaurant upstairs. I did look for the lounge menu, and there's nothing there yet. I think Jen posted pictures of the menus on Twitter. I'd have to go find them.

THANK YOU! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Just found it. @MousePlanetJen posted it on June 15 at 6:34 p.m. It's blocked for me at work, but anyone who has her on their Twitter can look it up and/or repost.