PDA

View Full Version : New Matterhorn

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Teddi
06-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Interested in reviews on the new vehicles, esp. if they make for a more comfortable ride. My issue wasn't so much with seating, but the hard seats and bumpiness/jerkiness of the cars on the tracks. Also, wondering how it is for little kids. I realized this is a "fast" ride that forces little kids to not be "next to" their parent and if that makes it more frightening for them.

candles71
06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey Teddi. Got home at 4 am from there. We sucked it up and waited in the 90 minute line once. The new cars are worse. First they are flatbottomed, you have about an inch of padding for the seat area and less leg room than before. You can put your feet around the seat in front of you to a degree (there are foot rests there) but it leave a lot of bend in your knees. I saw very tall guys with their knees somewher near there ears. Second this flat bottom make standing up very difficult. I know there was only about 6 or 8 inches difference from the seat to the "floor" before, but it was enough that getting out was easier.
They used the one line up the TL side, with a zigzag at the bottom (across from Pixie Hollow) and a zigzag at the top. I saw ECV's in the line up to the CM. The Lines have been rearranged a bit. Lets see if I can be clear how they all worked, since I believe you have a GAC needing child. Where the line used to come up with the planters on one side and the railing on the other has been taken over for Handicap accessibility. There is an entrance right under the Monorail track to the right of the station (if you are looking at it). The CM there will let GAC's, stroller passes, and issue single rider tickets. Once you get to the CM in the center of the station area they will take your pass (obviously not you GAC, but the other 2 ;)) and put you in the appropriate line. If you are looking at the station from the middle you have a ramp (ish) that goes in front of the station that delivers GAC/handicap individuals to the load platform (no longer the exit). Entering the building on both sides there are now 2 turnstyles, the one hugging the wall of the control room on both sides are single rider lines and deliver you into the front row of the queue (there are 4 zigzags if you remember). The 2 outside lines are regular lines. I hope they don't continue this, but we ere not given a choice on side. We were told to go to the TL side by the CM after he asked how many.
Jerkiness- I have always found the TL side jerkier. The track itself seems to be the same as it was as far as jerkiness, but the rollers on the train itself seem smoother (one would assume since they are new rollers and this could change with use.).
Hopefully this helps, I did just look at my map and the height requirement is 42".

TTFN92
06-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Just rode this about an hour and a half ago. I agree about the new sleds. They were terrible for leg room and I'm only 5'4". Can't imagine how it is for taller people. You sit just about even with your feet so it is really hard to get out plus they are a tight fit so not much room to maneuver. We were on the FL side. It was still jerky but in a smoother way. We were less than impressed. I think the mountain looks great but nothing done to improve the ride. That was the consensus of many in our party.

Tinkermommy
06-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Our party agreed -- seven teenagers, and me. I sat in the last seat in the back car and observed that the hard seat/bumpiness is not improved; it is VERY difficult to stand up to get out because there is so little leg room, and that in the back seat, you get thrown from side to side. It's like a whip effect back there. Ouch.

dban3
06-17-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm not an expert but the new Matterhorn sleds and the Walt Disney World Space Mountain ride vehicles look very similar (though the interior seating and restraint devices are different). I just wonder if there was some conceptual shared design going on. After all its cheaper to leverage off some existing ride vehicle rather that re-invent the wheel. Just an observation.

Also, hard to rationalize a 6 month refurbishment and come back with a ride experience that is no better and probably worse than the one before. Then again, a running Matterhorn with a flawed ride vehicle is probably better than no Matterhorn at all.

TTFN92
06-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I've only been on WDWs Space once but from what I remember the seating is not the same. I think there is a t bar and while you are sitting pretty low there is a lot more room so it's easier to get out.

DwarfPlanet
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Thats a bummer I was so looking forward to these seats being alot better but it sounds like they didn't take one but two steps backwards.

cstephens
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Hmmm, I'm quite thrilled with the new sleds. I haven't been able to ride the Matterhorn for a number of years, because it's too painful to be tossed around the seat. I sat in the middle row on Thursday night, and I was able to brace my feet, so it was a fairly comfortable ride. True, the seats aren't padded, and I'd prefer that they were, but otherwise, I'm perfectly happy to ride Matterhorn now whereas I wouldn't with the previous sleds.

I agree that there isn't a ton of room, but during the ride, I just put my legs in the spots that surround the seat in front of me. It did take me an extra couple seconds at the end to extricate myself. The husband sat in the front seat (we originally had lined up with me in front and him in the middle seat, but the CM made us switch - we won't be agreeing to that again) and he was pretty squished - he's 6'. So he'll be riding in not the front seat on future visits.

Shortpix77
06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The husband sat in the front seat (we originally had lined up with me in front and him in the middle seat, but the CM made us switch - we won't be agreeing to that again) and he was pretty squished - he's 6'. So he'll be riding in not the front seat on future visits.

Why did the CM make you switch??

MammaSilva
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
cstephens, I am interested in the new restraints and load time. Is there enough time for someone to buckle Missy in and then load?

Teddi
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Hmm. Well, that's disappointing that it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. I'm short (5' 2") so the leg space thing won't be an issue for me. Thanks for the heads up about the HA/GAC changes.

cstephens
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Why did the CM make you switch??

She claimed that the first row had more legroom, so she said the husband should sit there. We were skeptical about her claim but did it anyway.

cstephens, I am interested in the new restraints and load time. Is there enough time for someone to buckle Missy in and then load?

I'm not sure. It might be tight. If she can sit in the front, I think it would take less time to buckle her in because I think the front seat is easier to get into, at least from what it looks like.

MammaSilva
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the information. That is one of her all time favorite rides so I've been concerned about the load time. She 'can' sit in front provided the CM's allow it but I think I might have to discuss it with them if they were to be pushy about her being in the middle or back seat for this very reason.

candles71
06-19-2012, 02:45 PM
They didn't seem too concerned with load time, I watched as several people needed extra time. I figured I was among the first here so I needed to be aware for others. The CMs also seemed very willing to take requests.

chahn
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I found I needed more time to get out too. It was hard to get my feet underneath me to get up with the seat effectively on the floor. Other than that I (5'9", 30" inseam, size 10.5W shoe) was fairly comfortable and the ride was definitely smoother.

DH may have trouble with room for his feet (12EEEE) along the side of the seat ahead & DD (5) doesn't want to ride since we can't be holding her any more.

Andrew
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
The single rider line entrance is at the exit gate near the parade route across from Alice. Look for a CM handing out green tickets.

On Friday and Saturday, with hour+ wait times posted for the regular lines, I rode single rider with less than a ten minute wait.

Marasmama
06-20-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm seriously contemplating on filing a formal complaint with OSHA about the "new" ride vehicles. I'm 5'1" but I have muscular calves that were battered by the cramped leg area in the back. If you put your hands up like a lot of coaster riders do, it is very easy to touch the walls. My DH demonstrated this several times and he is only 5'7". It will only be a short time until someone breaks a hand or wrist. Your spine will be jarred on several drops. It is much rougher and the new sleds are not only less comfortable and cramped, the ride no longer feels thirlling. It is downright dangerous.

Bytebear
06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Legroom aside (which will always be a major complaint), I am upset about them removing the outside hand rails. I loved using them. now I have to use the inside ones which never felt right.

Seems to me if you add up the pros and cons, there are far more cons with these new seats. I really hope they can reverse this decision.

candles71
06-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am finding the image of Bytebear crammed in the new sled quite amusing. Oh, dear. It would be like seeing my dad in one. ;)

Bytebear
06-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am finding the image of Bytebear crammed in the new sled quite amusing. Oh, dear. It would be like seeing my dad in one. ;)

Believe me, and I am the small one. I am truly afraid. And the old sleds were absolutely perfect for big guys.

AnotherJenny
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
This review (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/06/15/disneylands-new-matterhorn-snow-white-sights-abominable-sounds/#/0) was in the print edition of the LA Times today. The pictures are different than the one in the print edition, but there's some cool older pics and one of Harold. The writer mentions that the sleds are still bumpy. He also says the new cars are roomier, but mentions he usually rides with his kids. I guess that's part of the issue, that the sleds were intended to hold 2 people, but it had reached the point where most people were riding solo. Funny thing, when I was searching the LA Times site for the article, the results has an article about Wisconsin football players on the ride before the Rose Bowl. Yea, I don't think the football players will enjoy the new sled configuration nearly as much next January.

carolinakid
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Can DL really do anything about people being able to touch the walls (I admit I've done it myself and I can touch the ceiling of Space Mountain during the "blast off" portion), without MAJOR reconstruction of the attraction?

cstephens
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm seriously contemplating on filing a formal complaint with OSHA about the "new" ride vehicles.

Not sure what OSHA has to do with this - isn't OSHA only having to do with a safe working environment? I could be wrong.

And being able to touch things while on the ride isn't anything new to these vehicles. You could do that before too.

If someone wants to try to do stuff on the ride that's going to hurt them, I figure it's their own fault. Darwin and all.

pixar
06-20-2012, 09:40 AM
If someone wants to try to do stuff on the ride that's going to hurt them, I figure it's their own fault. Darwin and all.

Sadly that someone will probably sue, even if it's their own fault...

shna
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
With all the reminders to keep "hands, arms, feet and legs within the vehicle at all times," I would hope Disneyland would be able to fight off such lawsuits. I know it won't stop people from trying, though.