PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's PhilharMagic to replace HISTA?

DBJ
07-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Curious if anyone knows if MP will replace HISTA anytime in the near future? At least with Mickey's PhilharMagic , they would finally be a reason to vist T. Land prior to 2005. Then, when/if Buzz and Space Mountain open, DL can promote itself as adding three new attractions in one year!

JeffG
07-21-2003, 12:12 PM
I think it is pretty unlikely. The show uses a much larger screen and wouldn't fit in the current theater without at least a significant refurbishment. It may not even be possible in that space at all.

The show would also be pretty badly out of theme in Tomorrowland.

-Jeff

YellowMan
07-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
The show would also be pretty badly out of theme in Tomorrowland. Exactly what I was thinking. I know pretty little about Mickey's Philharmagic, but from what I do know I can tell it wouldn't fit in Tomorrowland really at all.

malin
07-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Might make a good replacement for Muppets 3D at the Hollywood Pictures Backlot in DCA.Hopely Mickey's Phillarmagic will also down the line make it to the Walt Disney Studios in Paris,as the park is in desparate need of attractions.

merlinjones
07-21-2003, 09:01 PM
The perfect place for Mickey's Philharmagic is the Golden Dreams Theatre - - it's a palace of the Arts theme at least. They have to get rid of that awful PC movie anyway...

JeffG
07-22-2003, 09:19 AM
If they are going to put in the show, I really think it belongs in either Fantasyland or, better yet, Toontown. It could probably fit the theme fo Hollywood Backlot, but not as well as either of those locations.

Putting it in the Palace of Fine Arts would be ridiculous.

-Jeff

DBJ
07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
I have pretty much given up hope of them building an entire brand new theater for the CA theme parks. I don't think the show would be as out of place in T. Land anymore than the vacant sub lagoon. Dropping the Muppet movie is also an excellent idea as well, and it would be a good fit for a Hollywood section of DCA, which could use another marketable attraction.

The ideal situation would of course be a brand new theater in Toontown as the centerpiece.

mrfantasmic
07-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Hmm, having never seen or heard of PhilharMagic... what is it?

Andrew
07-22-2003, 02:27 PM
See our WDW Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/wdw/wdw030721.htm) from yesterday.

merlinjones
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
>>Putting it in the Palace of Fine Arts would be ridiculous.<<

Why? It's a Philharmonic show, yes? Why wouldn't that fit into a Palace of Arts?

Are you trying to assert that DCA has some mysterious thematic dignity that excludes Disney characters? How would you explain Flik's Fantasy Faire, then? DCA was conceived as a total exploitation park, anyway. Why pretend anymore?

I'm sure the masses would prefer a 3-D Mickey to a cartoon history lesson.

YellowMan
07-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Are you trying to assert that DCA has some mysterious thematic dignity that excludes Disney characters? Well, I have to agree with JeffG, the Palace of Fine Arts should exclude Disney characters. Nobody was trying to "assert" that Disney characters shouldn't be in DCA, but rather not in the building "themed" to the Palace of Fine Arts.

I'm sure the masses would prefer a 3-D Mickey to a cartoon history lesson. Perhaps they would, but I think it would fit in much better elsewhere in the park. The masses may prefer a ride about martians coming to earth over Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, that doesn't mean you put it in in the Opera House on Main Street. Things have to fit into their environment, and I agree that a 3D film about Donald stealing the sorcerer's hat doesn't fit into the Palace of Fine Arts.

merlinjones
07-23-2003, 08:13 AM
I'd be more than willing to argue for maintaining theme at Disneyland (which has it incorporated into the design of the park), but not DCA. DCA is the local theme park hooker and should take what it can get to improve its lot.

Put PhilharMagic in the Golden Dreams Theatre. The pc GD film is certainly not Lincoln (no one will miss it) and attractive banners can be made up to show Mickey in concert at the "Palace".

Otherwise, I suppose they could show it at night in the outdoor Fantasyland Theatre (like they used to do with Magic Journeys). It doesn't fit Tomorrowland in any way.

cstephens
07-23-2003, 11:12 AM
>>Putting it in the Palace of Fine Arts would be ridiculous.<<

Why? It's a Philharmonic show, yes? Why wouldn't that fit into a Palace of Arts?

Are you trying to assert that DCA has some mysterious thematic dignity that excludes Disney characters? How would you explain Flik's Fantasy Faire, then? DCA was conceived as a total exploitation park, anyway. Why pretend anymore?

As I don't know what Philharmagic is (and yes, I know Andrew posted the link, but I'm not interested enough to read about it anywhere), and I don't really have an opinion as to whether or not a certain thing would or would not fit in the Palace of Fine Arts, I just had to say that I thought this was a humongous leap. Rather than simply asking for clarification of the statement, it makes much more sense to just provide your own answers that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

merlinjones
07-23-2003, 12:23 PM
>>I just had to say that I thought this was a humongous leap. Rather than simply asking for clarification of the statement, it makes much more sense to just provide your own answers that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.<<

...What does this mean? I have read it over several times, but can't quite decipher its meaning. Happy Hour early?