PDA

View Full Version : New Carnation Cafe menu

Pages : [1] 2 3

Flygirl
06-14-2012, 07:47 PM
We are coming to Disneyland in August and one of our favorite places to eat is at the Carnation Cafe. The new facility looks great, but I have just been looking at a post of the new menu and I have to say I am disappointed! Except for the Baked Potato Soup, all of our favorite menu items are gone! Has anyone else looked at the menu, and if so, what do you think? I am sure some of the new items will be good, but I was frustrated to see some of the sandwiches eliminated and replace by cheeseburgers. There are so many other places in the park to get cheeseburgers! No more chicken pot pie, club sandwich, or meatloaf stack. WAAA!

cstephens
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
We browsed the menu tonight, and I'm actually looking forward to trying it. We haven't eaten at Carnation in quite some time because the menu hasn't appealed to us. There are items that I'm interested in trying. And the whole place looks very pretty. The outdoor and the new indoor seating are very nice.

dban3
06-16-2012, 11:30 AM
We are coming to Disneyland in August and one of our favorite places to eat is at the Carnation Cafe. The new facility looks great, but I have just been looking at a post of the new menu and I have to say I am disappointed! Except for the Baked Potato Soup, all of our favorite menu items are gone! Has anyone else looked at the menu, and if so, what do you think? I am sure some of the new items will be good, but I was frustrated to see some of the sandwiches eliminated and replace by cheeseburgers. There are so many other places in the park to get cheeseburgers! No more chicken pot pie, club sandwich, or meatloaf stack. WAAA!

I think the meatloaf is still there under Walt's Favorites but yes the chicken pot pie and chicken sandwich (the two entrees we seemed to order the most on past visits) seem to be gone. Fortunately the baked potato soup is still there and that is one dish that was an absolute must on every visit. As long as the soup is there, I'll be glad to find something new from the menu.

dlandnut
06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Just curious if Carnation Cafe opened and if anyone has a link or further information about it, including menu, prices, etc.

carolinakid
06-18-2012, 05:58 AM
I'd like to try the green chile cheeseburger and the fried pickles!

stan4d_steph
06-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Just curious if Carnation Cafe opened and if anyone has a link or further information about it, including menu, prices, etc.The new menu is up on our MousePlanet guide page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/91/Disneyland-Resort/Disneyland-Park/Main-Street-USA/Carnation-Caf). There's also some information--including food photos--in this week's Park Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/10019/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news4).

The green chile cheeseburger sounds good to me!

lilfaeriebrat
06-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm sad the cinnamon roll french toast is gone. I loved that! I think I'll miss the variety of soups for the dinner menu. Cold winter evenings that was my favorite place to go and eat.

MadasaHatter
06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Happy to see the sundae's back despite the lack of BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN and SNOW WHITE but I didn't notice an ice cream counter in the inside part. WHen I popped into GIBSON GIRL I noticed that the antique counter was still there so I figured it was a no go.....no soda fountain to sit at then, eh? It does look very nice and the menu is more interesting.

Drince88
06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
I've had fried dill pickles before, but it was always slices and not spears - and the picture shown looked like a lot more batter than I'm used to seeing.

Is that a common way to do them, or is the chef getting all fancy-dancy on us?

(And as a brace wearer who can't bite into most things, I'm bummed - because I have liked all the fried dill pickles I've had, but spears aren't going to work unless I use a knife and fork to eat them, and I'm thinking they'd fall apart pretty significantly if I did that)

cstephens
06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I've had fried dill pickles before, but it was always slices and not spears

A few people over the weekend commented to me that they've only had fried pickles as slices before. I've only had them as spears before. I wonder if there's a reason for the difference.

MadasaHatter
06-19-2012, 08:15 AM
ANyone? Bueller? Soda fountain inside anymore???? Desperate gasps at recreating my favorite Disney habit. On the same note is there a soda fountain on Buena Vista Street....happy to make that my new tradition....

THpoohbear
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't know about the soda fountain. But it's been reported that you can ask for soda fountain creations at Ghirardelli even though it isn't listed ont he menu.

I've also only seen fried pickles as slices!

I feel a little disappointed in the new menu. I'm kind of bummed that there are three choices of burgers vs. more variety of other items. I would have rather seen more variety, especially a more interesting sandwich other than turkey. And where did the croissants go? :( One of the salads looks good to me. I'm still looking forward to trying it, but am not immediately wowed by the menu on paper.

Teddi
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Count me in as missing the chicken pot pie and sandwich =( They were my favs, however I am looking forward to trying some of the new stuff, never did try the meatloaf - it sounds appealing and I've never had fried pickle- spears or slices, hmmm. I agree, too many burgers.

kmv1109
06-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Our 2 most favorite items in the whole park are gone- the Croissant Chicken Club and the Chef Salad, even though they never offered thousand island dressing. It was a sad day for us when they announced the new menu.

DwarfPlanet
06-20-2012, 09:58 AM
A few people over the weekend commented to me that they've only had fried pickles as slices before. I've only had them as spears before. I wonder if there's a reason for the difference.

DS who is finishing up his last 10 credits in Culinary Arts was making fried pickles last semester and they had them cook them as slices, spears and whole (the whole ones didn't go over well he said). So it may just be how the chef is comfortable in cooking them or how the restaurant prefers them.

cstephens
06-20-2012, 10:49 AM
DS who is finishing up his last 10 credits in Culinary Arts was making fried pickles last semester and they had them cook them as slices, spears and whole (the whole ones didn't go over well he said). So it may just be how the chef is comfortable in cooking them or how the restaurant prefers them.

Hmmm, interesting. Yeah, I'd think the whole pickles wouldn't fry very well unless they used small ones. Thanks for the info!

Now I wanna try fried pickle slices to see how they differ in taste/texture from the spears.

Toocherie
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Didn't Carnation Cafe used to have a half sandwich and soup option? I will miss that. I love the baked potato soup but don't want just that for my meal; a whole sandwich and soup will be too much. Guess I will have to make sure to always have a friend to split a sandwich with . . . . . .

chahn
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Yeah, they did. I almost always got that at lunch. On the other hand, my Heuvos Rancheros breakfast was great though I would have enjoyed a side of fruit with it. I also agree that the new menu is too burger heavy even though it makes it more likely that my husband will want to eat there.

daveywest
06-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Sample menus are up on the DL website at http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/carnation-cafe/

Look in the sidebar on the right.

stan4d_steph
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Sample menus are up on the DL website at

From above:
The new menu is up on our MousePlanet guide page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/91/Disneyland-Resort/Disneyland-Park/Main-Street-USA/Carnation-Caf). There's also some information--including food photos--in this week's Park Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/10019/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news4).

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I am canceling my reservation for lunch there next week. I was craving the chicken croissant sandwich & since it is not on the new menu, I will eat elsewhere. Bummer!

experiment626
07-08-2012, 02:57 PM
One the one hand the vegan burger would be an awesome choice for my daughter but there really isn't anything that I want. It usually is the other way around. I want to eat somewhere but there is nothing for her to eat.

kikid
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Enjoyed Carnation Cafe on Saturday evening!
Party of 5, 20 somethings and one 11 yr old.
Veggie Burger-looked good, Poblano Chili Burger complete with fried egg-Big and delicious!! Walts fav chix dinner-small portions but good
kids portion chix dinner-decent amount of food
PB&J soda-yuk from this foodie but my 25 yr old son said.."it's ok"
liked the menu options. Service was outstanding! Location is so Disney
give it a try!!!
Oh, shared and order of fried pickle spears (panko battered) delicious!!! I could only eat one..

kikid
07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Walt's favorite meatloaf is offered on the menu. :)

tea4two
07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
...Walts fav chix dinner-small portions but good

Mr. Tea and I shared the chicken fried chicken dinner and a bowl of baked potato soup and found it to be just right. The portions did look a bit small, but the meal was pretty filling.