PDA

View Full Version : Getting the bugs out?

MagicBeliever
07-20-2003, 11:05 AM
We have always been intensely curious as to how Disneyland keeps insects and bugs out of the parks, especially considering all of the water and jungle-like area. We've never smelled any type of spray, but I can count on one hand the number of bugs I've seen in the park (and Downtown Disney and the hotels, for that matter). Is there some magic sprinkled around to keep the pests out? ;)

Also, does the black cat that hangs around New Orleans Square have a name?

mrfantasmic
07-20-2003, 11:34 AM
There are these devices which trap bugs from 2 miles around... I'm sure there are a few of these devices around. Don't know for sure though!

experiment626
07-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Does this mean they got ride of the gnats in DCA?

DisneyFan25863
07-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
Does this mean they got ride of the gnats in DCA?

No, they actually put gnats in DCA. It gives it the California feel :D

Rallymonkey23
07-20-2003, 07:49 PM
So I'm taking it that they got rid of the bees in Tommorrowland? ( I wouldn't know cause we never go into Tommorrowland anymore :fez: )

TruSlack
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
She seems to like chicken. I've been to the park for years and had never seen the cat until a couple of months ago. Very friendly (if you are), and very at ease with people. I did get the name at the time, but darned if I can remember it now.

-arg
(big-time lurker...)

Nigel2
07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Well for example with things like mosquitos they are going to have some trouble breeding since they need still water to lay eggs in. Plus there are chemical ways to keep things like that away and still have no odor. For example mosquito rings contain chemicals that kill the eggs and larve in still water.

Loric
07-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Ugh, I feel bad posting about Disneyland with knowledge from WDW, but I figure it's a lil helpful...

Anyways, over on the other coast.. There's an entire division known as "Pest Management." They're out and about in the parks about as often as horticulture (fairly often) and spray all the flora down. They also release "friendly" insects, monitor various traps around property for certain hazardous insects, and that sort of thing. Whatever they use has an extremely low odor, and you're more likely to smell the fertilizer from horticulture first thing in the morning.

Also, if a CM notices any "bad" bugs, for example at an attraction on the outskirts of the park notices a troop of fire ants setting up a nest in their planters, Pest Management will be called and the bugs will most likely be dead within 24 hours.

The majority of stuff that gets "Done" in the parks is really the responsability of the frontline CMs to notice when things are going wrong and report them to the right department.

Carpet tear? Call Set-Dressing.
Wilted flowers? Call Horticulture.
Buggies? Call Pest Management :)

mrfantasmic
07-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, that's right! David Koenig put a piece in Mouse Tales about how Disneyland released invisible insects (well, really small ones) to eat the larvae of the big flies and mosquitos.

Loric
07-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
Oh yeah, that's right! David Koenig put a piece in Mouse Tales about how Disneyland released invisible insects (well, really small ones) to eat the larvae of the big flies and mosquitos.

You can learn about those friendly buggies up close and personal on the Greenhouse Tour in the Land at Epcot (they're bred there).

Some form of wasp, itty-bitty. So, if you're ever in Epcot, be sure to take the tour, it's only $6.

mrfantasmic
07-20-2003, 11:58 PM
But I live in SoCal, so DLR is my more favorable location, but thanks for the advice!