PDA

View Full Version : Ups and Downs

SpaceMTJunkie
07-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Hello all. Just got back from my annual Disneyland trip. We had a great time. I would just like to expand on a few thoughts I had while being there. Please note that all these opinions are coming from a person who visits Disneyland once per year and follows the parks closely online.

1. Tomorrowland is horrible. I remember a time when we would be first at the gate in the morning and run right for it to beat the crowd. Now you have until 11:00 to even see a single person in the area. How about a Little Mermaid ride in the lagoon, Peoplemover back in, Motorboats back in, Space Mountain back for the 50th, and Buzz in the Circlevision building. Just a thought.

2. I saw very little in the way of paint peeling problems. When I say very little, I mean we did see some paint problems in certain areas, but nothing that would hinder from the overall experience. In all actuallity, we saw people painting. Al needs to get off his soap box and quite complaining about paint. It looked fine to me. There are bigger things that Disneyland needs to worry about, not a little paint that is peeling that will probably be painted in the next few weeks anyway.

3. After all these years, why is Splash Mountain still so popular? I just don't get it. The ride basically is not that good (with the exception of the drop and good overall theming.) Fastpasses were usually gone by 2:00 or so. I don't understand the popularity.

4. Had balcony seats on Tuesday for the 9:00 show. All I can say is outstanding. Good food, good service, good view. For the record, there are 21 seats on the balcony and it was in no way crammed. We were first on the list so we got front row. On thursday we camped out and got seats right on the Rivers against the fence.

5. The X-Games Experience was a joke. We sat and watched some half pipe and sweated our butts off. The "athletes" seemed to not be giving a crap as to how good a show they were putting on (I have seen 9 year old kids in my neighborhood do better tricks.) Oh and by the way, we didn't win anything on our scratch off cards.

6. We had unlimited fastpasses and let me tell you, there is nothing better than being able to choose when and were you want to ride all day.

7. Disneyland Hotel was great as usual. 6th floor overlooking the pool in the Sierra Tower. Good Service and we enjoyed grabbing late night chow at Croc's Bits & Bites.

8. DCA overall is still stagnant. Nothing to do in Hollywood Backlot. Muppetvision was a complete waste of time (they could have spent a little money on making a better 3-D movie.) Bug's Life area was a lame attempt at trying to create something for little kids to do. DCA has 3 good attractions: Soarin, Screamin, GRR. After you ride those, it is back over to Disneyland. I really hope they did Tower right. It would be nice to see an attempt at making a really good E-Ticket once again. I doubt this will help DCA much though, it will just take the count of good rides there to 4.

9. Downtown Disney kicks butt as usuall. Rain Forrest has good food but the service sucks butt. We were thinking that a Chevy's would be a good choice to take over the Y Arriba Y Arriba building. They need some good mexican food there. World of Disney is the bomb as far as Disney merchandise is concerned. Overall, DD makes for a great walk from the DH to the gates.

10. We liked Pooh. I don't know what all the complaining is about from certain people. As far as dark rides go, is was probably one of the better ones put in (especially with it having to use the existing Country Bears building). I also love how the ride car kind of wobbles through the ride.

11. The birthday celebration on Thursday was just ok. The singers were ok. Cynthia Harris is still blowing smoke up everyone's skirts. The confetti was probably the best part. We were seeing it as far away as Small World and Mansion. We were on a mission to see where the furthest piece lay. The postcard/pin scavenger hunt was cool, but I don't see myself buying the 7 pins to complete the set. There is always a motive to sell more and make money with everything Disney does.

12. The American flag on top of the Gallery needs to be lit at night.

That is all for now. It was good seeing everyone, and we can't wait until next year. Adios until then.

TimBuk2
07-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMTJunkie
6. We had unlimited fastpasses and let me tell you, there is nothing better than being able to choose when and were you want to ride all day.

What did you mean by "unlimited" ?

jerjer2005
07-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TimBuk2

To answer your question, im sure he is refering to the current AAA offer where when you buy one of there packages you get an unlimited fastpass option per person on your park hopper.

In response to the trip report...

Your right about the paint, it does look alot better, alot has been done recently around the flower beds in tomorrowland. and the backdrop of toon town looks great.

about pooh... i also think your right, i think it is a great attraction with great theming... i think someone people are giving it too hard of a time.

about DCA... oh where to begin... your only the 1 millionth person to bash DCA the way you did. I personally love the hollywood area and if you spend the time there that the place deserves you will see that it is a nice place. although superstar limo is currently closed, millionaire is a great addition to the area, not to mention the wonderful show aladdin across the way... the animation studio is perfectly done if you truely have a love for disney animation, and playhouse is great for the kids. seems pretty nice to me. DCA has alot more then "3 good attractions" I personally think A bugs land is well done and fun for kids... atleast they made a basic theme to the hole place instead of just throwing the place together with unthemed kiddie rides.

About DTD, I think your right it does have an excelent charm to it that i cant get enough of. Ariba building does need somthing in it though.

About the opening cerimony... i thought it was really well done... i wasnt expecting the confetti or the fireworks off the castle. plus walts voice was a nice touch.

and now to my lil pet pieve... your verbal bashing of tomorrowland... Yes it is a little empty now but they are making the attempt... just give it the time it needs. star tours is still nice and buzz will be in soon... space will return in all its glory and then all the bashing of tomorrowland will stop. about people mover and subs... u can find numerous posts about why and why not this will or will not go in... and everyone has there own opinion about it. although i will say this... there are good reasons why the subs are not coming back and its not just the money... there are some serious problems with the lagoon that are at this time just not fixable.

on a closing note...
I hope your trip to the happiest place on earth was as magical as ever! Just give the place some time and im sure it will meet up to all your expectations

HBTiggerFan
07-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your report :)

It is really nice to get the views of an out-of-towner who doesn't see the parks every week, yet follows the "online community" of info.

Tomorrowland is dead right now and there is no debating this matter. And frankly it's sad that such a bustling place that wasn't broken to begin with was "fixed" and now lays in such a state of disrepair. It was fine the way it was (with more than three working attractions). Who really knows what will go in to fix, since everything is a rumor until opening day at this point. :(

I was really interested to read what you had to say about DCA (as an out-of-towner). I don't hate the park, nor do I think it's worth a $45 ticket. I agree that it only has 3 good rides, and that the HPB has nothing to do.

It sounds like you had an awesome trip :)

Rallymonkey23
07-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
about DCA... oh where to begin... your only the 1 millionth person to bash DCA the way you did.

There has been 1,000,000 visitors to DCA? :eek:

If so, everyone that has been there must have complained. :~D :fez:

BTW, thanks for the trip report. Everytime I read one such as yours, I go to the parks and remember how lucky I am to live so close to the magic and be able to go when I feel the need. :)

MagicBeliever
07-19-2003, 11:18 PM
A few more thoughts...

Submarine problems aside, I think everybody would like to see something done with the lagoon or at least a serious plan for it. I also think that the original people mover track is really neat and I'd like to see them use it for something new (and hopefully more permanent than the Rods).

It also seemed that there were a lot more characters visible and available throughout the park as compared to past years. I remember it being extremely difficult to get anywhere near the characters when they appeared, and this year we saw them often and even got to play with them a little. It's neat that Pooh and friends have their own permanent spot now, and it also seems that Woody and Buzz have a place to stay as well.

Thought Pooh was really cute but not worth the stand-by line, and wondering why it seems to be down quite often for a [new] dark ride?

Finally, we'd heard that the Pirates rehab was nothing too special, and while we were pretty bummed to notice the missing "fog", it was great that the boats didn't back up 5 deep before the lift and loading dock, like I remember from last year.

And how about the sun coming out at the beginning of It All Started With a Mouse when the girl sang about the sun? ;)

SpaceMTJunkie
07-20-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by TimBuk2

When you book your trip through Disney Travel you are allowed to hold 1 fastpass for EVERY attraction at the same time. This is cool because it allows you to stack up fastpasses for a 2 hour window. You can then hit all the rides that you have fastpasses for back to back.

Originally posted by jerjer2005
plus walts voice was a nice touch.

Yes I did forget about the opening day speech by Walt. That was awesome. Everytime they read something that Walt said or play his voice, it is a reminder to everyone what Disneyland is all about.