PDA

View Full Version : Disney introduces new iPad app for Cast Members

AVP
06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Several readers have pointed me to a new app in the iTunes store called "Cast Member Publications (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cast-member-publications/id527411338?mt=8&ls=1)," sold by Starwave Media. This is a free iPad app that lets cast members download "digital editions of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts newsletters and publications." The only content currently available in the latest edition of the Disneyland Line, a Cast Member magazine.

At the moment, anyone can download the app and the content - there is no employee login required. Some CMs are really unhappy about this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney figures out a way to restrict access at a later date. However, if you have an iPad and you'd like to see the new Disneyland Line, it's there for the asking.

The digital version of the Line is GORGEOUS, and has loads of audio, video and interactive features. The latest issue focuses on Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, and is a real treat to read. I can only hope Disney will offer the Annual Passholder newsletter in this format in the future.

Adrienne

Shortpix77
06-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Is there any way to post it for those of us who don't have an iPad? :-)

ChrisGlass
06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Typically, private apps are limited to a certain number for internal testing. Disneyland has a few more CMs than the current limit.

hbmetzfam
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Just loaded the app. Very nice!

iceman559
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Typically, private apps are limited to a certain number for internal testing. Disneyland has a few more CMs than the current limit.

They should easily be able to let anyone download the app, but have to login to the app itself before they can use it....much like a Facebook app, or Netflix, or any other personalized service. You don't have to make the app itself private, just restrict it's use to those who are able to login to it (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

fairestoneofall
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Love the ap. Sitting here exploring it and so impressed with the photography.

pixar
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Love the ap. Sitting here exploring it and so impressed with the photography.

The photos sure are more vibrant on the iPad than the actual print magazine!

MacBaby
06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
They should easily be able to let anyone download the app, but have to login to the app itself before they can use it....much like a Facebook app, or Netflix, or any other personalized service. You don't have to make the app itself private, just restrict it's use to those who are able to login to it (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

Since there is a box on the last page inviting readers to email the magazine to others, I don't think Disney intends to keep it private.

iceman559
06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Since there is a box on the last page inviting readers to email the magazine to others, I don't think Disney intends to keep it private.

I wasn't implying they were or should. I was simply responding to the other post saying that Disney *couldn't* make it private because too many people use it.