PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of Tiki

Pages : [1] 2

Morrigoon
08-24-2001, 12:07 AM
A press release snippet about the bears gave me an idea. We all know about the long-suffering tiki room and it's (lack of) upkeep. Here's what Disney should do:
Quote from a CBJ press release:
"the “Country Bear Christmas Show” became the first existing “Audio-Animatronics” attraction at DISNEYLAND to be re-programmed into a whole new show. This holiday version of the attraction has been a special presentation during many of the past 17 Yuletide seasons"

Get the idea yet? How about a "Mele Kalikimaka" (Hawaiian for Merry Christmas) makeover for Tiki? The makeover would be the perfect excuse to freshen up the place, fix the AAs and dust the birds off. Plus, it would be justified in the budgets because it would be considered "new product", bringing in additional holiday guests.

The outside of Tiki could be done up for the holiday, with extra strings of lights bringing attention to the spot. It would be great exposure for Dole too.

merlinjones
08-24-2001, 12:20 AM
This is the best idea I've heard all day. "Mele Kalikimaka" is a great song too! :D

08-24-2001, 03:48 AM
Genius, Morrigoon! Sheer genius!

stan4d_steph
08-24-2001, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. In one of his recent updates, Al has said that they appear to be quietly fixing Tiki; dusting birds, fixing the roof, etc. I haven't been back lately but I hope the can restore it. I have to admit I haven't been recently, and never go when I'm on my own in the park. Maybe we can swing by when we all get together one of these days? I would definitely go if they changed up the show.

Ralph Wiggum
08-24-2001, 05:50 PM
Wow...i am breathless....GREAT IDEA!!!

JRob2k1
08-24-2001, 05:53 PM
That really is a great idea Morrigoon. I bet if that was done "properly" it could be a big, no, a HUGE hit!! It would be one more magical thing thing that DL could add to it's already amazing Christmas lineup.

-JRob

Morrigoon
08-24-2001, 08:35 PM
And if they have to appease Paul, they could set up an ODV cart selling fresh leis for like $10 (they go for $5 in Hawaii, but I think people would pay $10)

Actually that would be fun... Xmas leis, and maybe an aloha print shirt! Why, Adventureland Outfitters is just across from the exit, they could remake that part of the store in Tiki-chic. Tiki is cool right now anyway, I can't believe they currently have their (only mildly) tiki-related goods all the way over by bengal bbq right now. Imagine doing over the store interior kinda rainforesty with misters under the eaves (easing the heat and making the area exotic looking). They could have a nice display up of Hawaiian (and other polynesian) CDs. Maybe just a few major artists... Keali'i Reichel, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Hapa, etc. And of course a special edition Tiki room cd with the whole original show, some of the new numbers from the Florida version, and the whole christmas show.
While they're at it (Adrienne will hate me for this) turn Aladdin's Oasis back into Tahitian Terrace, but make it more casual. Perhaps just selling drinks (non-alkie) and snacks. Give it over to Dole (in exchange for the renovation). Let dole sell lotsa fruity goodies. Virgin strawberry daquiris, virgin pina coladas, other fruit smoothies, fresh fruit plates, etc.

It would really revitalize Adventureland!

lisap
08-24-2001, 08:42 PM
Love it.

08-25-2001, 05:37 AM
If this happened, it'd get me and my family on a plane out to Disneyland. Even my husband (who loathes DL) would enjoy this. We're good for:

4 leis x $10 = $40
4 pineapple frosties x $7.95 = $31.80
2 plush macaws x $15 = $30
1 bobbing-head tiki for dashboard - $12.95
1 special-edition t-shirt = $30
4 postcards featuring Christmas overlay = $2.00

Grand Total for Revitalized Tiki Room Merchandise for 2 adults and 2 children =

$146.75 (wow :eek: but I'd pay it)

Matterhorn Fan
08-25-2001, 01:00 PM
Seeing all the birds move thier beaks in sync with the music=Priceless.

Sorry, but you knew that one was coming. ;)

08-25-2001, 03:14 PM
Beautiful, Matterhorn Fan! :p

Rider
08-25-2001, 03:15 PM
As long as the keep the full "Tiki Tiki Room" song, I'll be happy.

Its a long story, but now my brother HATES Tiki at WDW because they only have part of that song. When we came to DL he went to Tiki 5 times, just to see the old show.

The only thing that really bugs him is the missing song.

Morrigoon
08-25-2001, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't want a florida kind of redo. I'm sick to death of so-called "edgy" entertainment. Disney needs to stop trying to mock itself and get back to what they do best: genuine, cheesy, happy entertainment.

Karin
08-26-2001, 12:37 PM
lisap - is your avatar a pic from "Pride and Prejusice"? I take it that's Colin Firth, right? I know him. He's a friend of my family's. Pretty cool avatar.

I would go for a holiday makeover for Tiki in a big way. Alas, I fear it's too late to plan it for this year.

lisap
08-26-2001, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Karin H.
lisap - is your avatar a pic from "Pride and Prejusice"? I take it that's Colin Firth, right? I know him. He's a friend of my family's. Pretty cool avatar.

Karin--don't toy with me. You know him??!! Can you get me a lock of his hair to prove it?? How does your family know him and can I get chummy with your family :D Do tell ALL.

Ps Morrigoon I know you are lurking out there reading this-- Back off! I saw Karin's post first!!
(just kidding!)
;)

Morrigoon
08-26-2001, 01:09 PM
No you didn't...you just replied first

EandCDad
08-26-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
No you didn't...you just replied first

Don't make me throw a bucket of cold water on the two of you. There is plenty of Colin to go around I'm sure.

Morrigoon
08-26-2001, 01:17 PM
Hey, I'm not married!

pbbbbbbbbbbbt!

Morrigoon
08-26-2001, 01:32 PM
Okay lisap, at least give me Crispin Bonham Carter!
Colin Firth's about 5 years too old for me and married anyway =P

lisap
08-26-2001, 03:14 PM
Ok--you can have him and I'll throw in Robert Sean Leanord for free--how's that. ;)

Napsto
08-26-2001, 03:18 PM
better late than never.

GOOD IDEA!

Karin
08-26-2001, 03:20 PM
lisap - I wouldn't dare toy with your emotions. I don't know you well enough. :-)

Yes, I know Colin Firth. His family and my family have been friends for a couple of generations. His brother Jonathan is about my age (34) and is gorgeous, too. He's an actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Colin's really nice, married for the 2nd time at the moment. She's an Italian ballerina.

So who ended up with Colin and who got Crispin? :-)

lisap
08-26-2001, 03:24 PM
Whoa--you are my new hero. If he happens to leave a sock or tie at your house....nuff said. Ok?
:D

You can let him know for me that I was very disappointed in him for canceling his Hamlet in London next March--I rearranged my whole trip to get tickets for it.
:(

Morrigoon
08-26-2001, 09:52 PM
lisap: Robert who?

Just gimme Michael Ball and I'm a happy woman.

(I know this is off topic... consider it a BUMP! :) )

Gandalf
08-28-2001, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
And if they have to appease Paul, they could set up an ODV cart selling fresh leis for like $10 (they go for $5 in Hawaii, but I think people would pay $10)

Actually that would be fun... Xmas leis, and maybe an aloha print shirt! Why, Adventureland Outfitters is just across from the exit, they could remake that part of the store in Tiki-chic. Tiki is cool right now anyway, I can't believe they currently have their (only mildly) tiki-related goods all the way over by bengal bbq right now. Imagine doing over the store interior kinda rainforesty with misters under the eaves (easing the heat and making the area exotic looking). They could have a nice display up of Hawaiian (and other polynesian) CDs. Maybe just a few major artists... Keali'i Reichel, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Hapa, etc. And of course a special edition Tiki room cd with the whole original show, some of the new numbers from the Florida version, and the whole christmas show. While they're at it (Adrienne will hate me for this) turn Aladdin's Oasis back into Tahitian Terrace, but make it more casual. Perhaps just selling drinks (non-alkie) and snacks. Give it over to Dole (in exchange for the renovation). Let dole sell lotsa fruity goodies. Virgin strawberry daquiris, virgin pina coladas, other fruit smoothies, fresh fruit plates, etc.

It would really revitalize Adventureland!

I mentioned your idea to my parents and they thought I said this was actually in the works at Disneyland. They were all excited and began reminiscing about the Tiki Room and the Terrace. Man, I hated to tell them it wasn't real.