PDA

View Full Version : The Sadness of Socks

The Genii
04-30-2001, 06:37 AM
:eek:
Oh my. According to todays DIG report, the castmembers who work at Pirates have been devasted about not having red socks. To hear Al Lutz tell it, their morale has been devastated. But now, all is well because they have red socks.
Red Socks.
Guests have been complaining because the castmembers on Pirates were no longer wearing red socks.
I must say that on my recent week long trip I saw many many guests intently studying the ankles of the castmembers, checking to see if they were wearing red socks.
Personally, I was much more interested in talking with my companions about the upcoming ride, or perhaps the meal we just had, or perhaps how much we enjoyed the Tiki Room.
Gee, it's funny how red socks never crossed our minds.

KarenW2
04-30-2001, 09:25 AM
I thought CMs on Pirates wore STRIPED socks!

I did however notice a MALE CM wearing Jungle Cruise wear working the Tiki Room yesterday (I'm used to seeing females in Hawaiian wear) . It was a little jarring. I liked the Hawaiian wear much better!

AVP
04-30-2001, 09:33 AM
A friend of mine worked Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room, and I remember that they were on the same rotation. CMs would possibly work both attractions on the same day. They would be in the Jungle Cruise costume.

After the park decided to let the Tiki Room hosts wear the floral costume again, you would still see the occasional CM working there in a Jungle Cruise costume. (My guess is that this was the "breaker", but I'm not positive)

Personally, I'm more accustomed to seeing guys working there lately. The costume for male CMs includes a hawaiian shirt in the same fabric. I've seen female CMs there as well, of course, but I it seems that there's always a guy out front when I pass by lately.

Adrienne VP

Travis
04-30-2001, 09:35 AM
I enjoy details myself!!! And I like to feel proud and socks or whatever it may be it!!! -Travis:D :D

Napsto
04-30-2001, 09:36 AM
al said the socks were back, for all you that have not checked out the dig update.

Travis
04-30-2001, 09:43 AM
yes I read that.,....but moo was trying to get everyone rowled up again!!! -Cris

Gandalf
04-30-2001, 11:10 AM
I think when the cast are dressed in theme related clothes it just seems to pull the visitor into the "dream" that Walt Disney wanted everyone to see. And besides for all the Mike E. followers: there's nothing like a little reality escape to loosen the pursestrings of parents.

Karin
04-30-2001, 12:34 PM
I think the stripped (or red, as moobooks said) socks are important touches that help the magic along. I think they're important, even if some folks don't notice them. Some folks do, and those little touches add up to big magic. My $.02.

lisap
04-30-2001, 02:24 PM
Amen sister :) :)

Lacrosse Boy
08-09-2001, 12:57 PM
I always wear nothing but white socks.

Napsto
08-09-2001, 12:59 PM
white ankle socks

Ralph Wiggum
08-09-2001, 01:30 PM
Come on you two!!!

Morrigoon
08-12-2001, 02:21 AM
This brings up an interesting point:

Magic is not really in the big things. Things aren't magic because some guy in a suit tells us its magical. The definition of Disney magic is a highly personal thing, and is almost invariably defined by some little thing that "plusses" the big thing. Pirates is a good ride, but what sets it apart from any other parks' rides is the level of detail in it - the spanish village, the detail on the cannon boat, and yes, striped socks. How magic would a ride be if some kid in a t-shirt loaded you up? Or if, instead of lifelike AA's you had cardboard cutouts of pirates in their places? Perhaps they could scratch the spanish-style town and replace it with some nice stucco tract houses. The difference is in the details folks. Yes some items SEEM insignificant because people don't rave about them. But they sure notice them when they're gone don't they!

Cadaverous Pallor
08-13-2001, 01:03 PM
I love how a thread about socks becomes a discussion about the magic of Disney.....heehee!:p :p :p

You guys are great.