PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years: An Excuse

wonderful
07-16-2003, 11:57 PM
An early morning pep-rally, no more exciting (and maybe less) than a high school might offer in preparation for a football game...
That's what's on the slate for Disneyland's 48th.
The current trend has been to "hold your breath and wait for the really exciting stuff coming for the 50th."
Okay, if that's the case, why should a Guest pay the full ticket price now? Why not offer discount tickets until 2005?
It seems ludicrous, but it just seems that Guests are really getting the short end of the stick for the next two years:
--Please watch a three year old parade
--Please do not mind the half dozen shuttered attractions-- something new is coming soon
--Please plan to stay a whole week, though there's really only enough to do in two days
--Please forgive us for getting rid of Magic Mornings, closing half of our restaurants, and offering bland merchandise... we have to "save up" for the 50th you know
--Please do not expect that "world class Guest service" as we have stopped offering a competitive wage and have fired most of our creative staff... but we promise to fix all that in two years...
Just makes you wonder: can DL become Magic Mountain for two years and then, miraculously, become DL again at 50?
I hope so.
In any case, "Happy 48th Birthday Disneyland!"-- I would've bought you a present, but I'm gonna wait till you're 50.

Morrigoon
07-17-2003, 12:32 AM
Happy B-day Disneyland...!

RStar
07-17-2003, 03:28 PM
I know what you are saying. I went into a shop and asked where the 48th merchandise was. The cast member sheepesly said "there was no 48th merchandise, they aren't going to do much untill the 50th."

Sad..........

But what made my day was hearing Walt's voice over the PA durring the opening announcements.:)

dav
07-17-2003, 07:35 PM
next year I am taking the day, er... heck the week off. And I will print up my own darn-tootin' merchandise. Going to create my own theme, uhhh. "Distance Abound" With a huge 7-17-05 emblem crossed out (respectfully), saying something about how D-land may have opened this year, (or something creative) but it took a year or so to build, YEAH! So this day here, is the only true cellebration worth while...or something.

Boy do I really need to start ravaging for some support...

Yeah, like my own clever shananagains and slogans and keychains and.....

I am tired....

-dav

jerjer2005
07-18-2003, 10:50 PM
i personally liked the opening cerimony... there was one piece of mercindise... a comemerative pin that said 48 years of magic. there really would be no reason to do 48th aniversary mercindise as there is not long celebration... i think your being to hard on the place.

SpaceMTJunkie
07-19-2003, 08:03 PM
The 48th button (i dont think it was a pin) was only available to CM's, it was not for sale. The only thing in the park that was anywhere close to 48th merchandise was a 48th pin which had on it "48 years of magic" with a picture of the castle and a big Mickey standing next to the Disneyland logo. This is a very cool pin limited to 3500. We picked one of those up after searching high and low for the button and anything else we could find.

TDBearGrrl
07-20-2003, 07:25 AM
There was a CM button (which I have - thanks to a CM friend) and there was a 48th Birthday Pin - available for purchase to everyone. I got mine on Thursday at the end of my Pin Quest, but there were still some available yesterday.

DD
:cool:

mrfantasmic
07-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Walt's voice on the PA? How great!

dav
07-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
i personally liked the opening cerimony... ...no reason to do 48th aniversary mercindise as there is not long celebration... i think your being to hard on the place.

I am just at loss for merchandise, 'cause apparently looking back; I buy everything, what .... wait a minute, I still haven't bought a pass holder shirt, I don't know about that one. {sidestep} I don't think I want anything else to earmark me as a pass holder, even as I am firmly aware that I do not, nor will I ever, know everything there is to know (nor should I). I am content you see, but I remain a "costume buyer." I love merchandising materials. [Insert Willy Wonka Music] I thought it was expected, for me to be all that I am even as a deliberate master of blending disguises, as it were.

My thoughts & aspirations reside in that place - where our fervering anticipation for the 50th, and the impressive makings of a lasting memory reverberate unintimidatedly on purpouse.

-dav

Allison
07-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Okay, we will have this conversation again after the 50th.

If it is great, then its okay not to get too excited over the the 48th. They tend to celebrate every five years anyway.