PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Planning Advice

Melody0112
07-16-2003, 06:28 PM
I am planning a trip to DL in over Thanksgiving week with just me and my two girls (6 & 4).

We will be there 5 nights - what are the must see's and do's for a single parent with two kids?

Thanks for sharing.

Matterhorn Fan
07-16-2003, 06:46 PM
5 nights?!

Do everything! Twice!

lisap
07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Wow--you are a brave woman! Be sure to take rest breaks in the afternoon to recharge the ole batteries. A nap or at least some down time will do wonders for the attitude, as I'm sure you know.

My best tip comes from experience, and eandcdad and I post this all the time, but here goes again. The most valuable thing you can do is hit the parks early in the morning--especially Fantasyland. They usually open the gates a half hour before scheduled opening time. Get on Main Street and make your way to the rope that holds the crowds away from the rest of the park. When the rope drops...go, go, go. There will be time for shopping and browsing later.

It sounds kind of militant, but I've waited in long lines with my two kids and I much prefer putting in a little effort to get there early. :)

I would recommend the same with DCA and Bug's Land--the lines there on busy days are excruciating. And be sure to utilize the Fastpass in both parks--that will cut down on your wait time.

Finally, I would be sure to catch the Princess Story Time at the toyshop next to the Castle (used to be Tinkerbell's?). It's very simple--the children just sit on a rug at the feet of, say Snow White, and hear her tell a story with the help of her assistant. It's very fun, and afterwards they are available for autographs. My girls have heard them all and never get tired of them :) .

Have a wonderful time and good luck to you.

dgdisney
07-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Good for you!!! I often travel with my two girls (ages 3 and 7) and I enjoy the girl time (we are all princesses at heart!).

I have to differ (respectfully of course:) ) with lisap. Kids seem to march to the beat of different drummers! My girls had very definite ideas about what they thought was important to see at Disneyland. It often didn't involve the most popular rides.
They really wanted to wait in line to meet characters. They really loved to see Parades (even the same one-over and over). They loved riding the cars on Main Street, journeying on Casey Junior Circus Train, watching the candy makers on Main Street. And, Alice Alice Alice - love that ride.

We tried to apply the "commando am - rest pm - go back evening" strategy and it didn't work! The girls were happy to go to the parks early and then when they were home in the hotel they wanted to stay home (and swim - regardless of the weather!). One night we enticed them to see the Electrical Parade - woo hoo!

My advice to you - survey the terrain during your first day and see what it is that your daughters really want to do. If it is listening to the princess stories at the TinkerBell Toy Shop (three times in a row!) go for it. My girls really love DCA and could easily spend as much time there as at Disneyland(Ariel's Grotto for dinner was a highlight for them)!

It is a different Disney experience but one that I have grown to enjoy! And with 5 days you can relax and enjoy.

Happy trip planning!

mikala
07-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi there,

Just wanted to say you gave such great advice. I hope I enjoy my time as much as you when I have kids.

Mikala

Elly
07-16-2003, 09:31 PM
When my kids were that age, they loved to "take a break" by running around Tom Sawyer's Island...no lines! It's shady and a good way to just let loose.

lisap
07-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by dgdisney

I have to differ (respectfully of course:) ) with lisap. Kids seem to march to the beat of different drummers! My girls had very definite ideas about what they thought was important to see at Disneyland. It often didn't involve the most popular rides.
They really wanted to wait in line to meet characters. They really loved to see Parades (even the same one-over and over). They loved riding the cars on Main Street, journeying on Casey Junior Circus Train, watching the candy makers on Main Street. And, Alice Alice Alice - love that ride.

That is very true! Everyone has different things that they feel are important to see at DL. My six year old would spend they day at Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln given the chance :rolleyes: ;).

However, most people who only see Dl once a year or once every few years like to visit attractions with long wait times--cause they are popular. During Thanksgiving week the crowds can be intense. If the popular rides can be done before eleven, that leaves the rest of the day for hanging with princesses, Mr. Lincoln and pressed pennies. :)

I'm sure in five days they will find their own rhythm.

mystycalchyk
07-17-2003, 07:35 AM
All of the suggestions are excellent (I tend to lean in agreement with lisap about getting there early and beating the rush....its the only way as far as I'm concerned ;) )
The only story time addition I have is Alladin's story telling in Adventureland.

We LOVE it!
:p and we don't even have kids. :rolleyes: how geeky are we?

I don't know, I just love it and the kids always seem to get a kick out of it. It's a 'must see' everytime we go....mainly just because we love to see which sweet angelic little girl gets to play the part of Jafar. It's interactive fun for the kids and they all get to sit on 'magic carpets' just in front of the stage while the parents (and geeks :geek: like me and my hubby :geek: , sit behind them in chairs)

Seriously, it's a hoot

It's in Adventureland, on the left hand side (as you enter) just before you get to the Jungle Cruise. Used to be Alladin's Dinner Theatre.