PDA

View Full Version : Goofy's Beach Bash and Mickey's Detective School get the budget ax

Darkbeer
07-16-2003, 10:19 AM
An Entertainement CM over at MouseInfo.com (http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?t=9239) is reporting that both shows last day will be Tuesday, July 29th....

Yep, right in the middle of the summer....:eek:

Rallymonkey23
07-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Good! :)

cirquelover
07-16-2003, 11:05 AM
My boy loved those shows!!
Yes, they were corny to an adult but kids love that stuff.

YellowMan
07-16-2003, 11:06 AM
OH NO!! I'm so distraught!!:rolleyes:

But seriously folks, it is kind of depressing to see any form of entertainment get the axe during this entertainment starved era. Especially during the middle of the summer.

TP2000
07-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Why would they cancel two Character shows right in the middle of summer? Why not just wait 5 weeks until Labor Day?

This is very strange behavior from the Resort leadership in Anaheim, in my opinion. Is DCA's low attendance causing these cuts? Or is it something else?

Not Afraid
07-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Funny, even thought I go the park on an almost weekly basis, I have never seen these shows. Awwwwwwwww:fez:

TheatreTech
07-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Funny, even thought I go the park on an almost weekly basis, I have never seen these shows.
Same here:eek: I might have to take a peek before they leave.

Dlandmom
07-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by cirquelover
My boy loved those shows!!
Yes, they were corny to an adult but kids love that stuff.

Exactly. Individually, I would've had no interest in watching them, but my daughter loves this kind of entertainment.

cstephens
07-16-2003, 01:50 PM
I've seen Beach Bash twice and really enjoyed it, so I'm sorry to see it go. I've seen Detective School once and thought it was horrible and have never gone back, so I'm happy to hear it's going away.

Rallymonkey23
07-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Funny, even thought I go the park on an almost weekly basis, I have never seen these shows. Awwwwwwwww:fez:

Better hurry! You don't know what your missing! :~D :fez:

wonderful
07-16-2003, 11:33 PM
It's no secret that each of the shows draw sparse crowds, even during the summer rush....
The X Games shows at DCA are great and, though not exactly on the same level (audience-wise) of these character shows (which, in my opinion, were very "low level" shows-- "Beach" being a hell of a lot better than "Detective" though), offers a diversion and could use the extra crowds "starved" for a "show"...
So, in truth, it seems that the move should have been done sooner. We can only hope that the money saved will go into putting a few more character meet and greets in the parks or something of comparible value to the Guest who, recently, seems to be offered less and less and charged more and more.

Morrigoon
07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Put my vote in for the return of Animazement!

GoldenEars
07-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Altho I would watch these shows from time to time, I never did get into them and found them to be very mildly entertaining!

I'm thrilled, however, that they're bringing back Minnie's Christmas Party again this holiday season! I don't know about any of you out there, but I really LOVE this show. I know it's not anything like Mickey's Nutcracker, but it's got a lot more charm and always gives me a warm, happy feeling when I see it!:D

And it's about time that they refurbish the Fantasyland Theatre and surrounding area. I hope they do a fantastic job and make it something to really be impressed with. I'm not too sure about having (another) Snow White musical there, but we'll see. And for those of you who don't know, Disneyland staged a Snow White's Golden Anniverysary show back in 1987, to commemorate the 50th anniverysary of Snow White.

Personally, I think they should bring back Animazment and just update it a little. But hey, I'll try to have a positive attitude about this SW stage show. However, we all know what Disney likes to do...and that is change it's mind every chance they get. So we'll just see what stage show goes in there.

And let's hope they put in a cute holiday stage show where the Beach Party Bash is now at DCA. Anything will be better than seeing a Beach Party Bash being performed during the middle of winter and holiday season. Let's hope they bring some real Christmas cheer and entertainment to that Park this year!

Patrick:)

PS Side Bar...thank God the *X* games will be leaving soon and that horrible rock/punk music they play in the Sunshine Plaza!!

jerjer2005
07-18-2003, 10:41 PM
this sounds like somthing of a rumor... ill be in the park sunday and do my usual process of finding if info is true... 1) ask a cm at the show 2)as a CM that works in the same department but not working on that show 3) ask city hall

if disney made this move it would be murder...

detective school always draws the crouds. it also draws people over to that area of the park. the fantasyland theater is a pretty established thing. the more likely thing would be that it would leave after it closes to be re-done for minnies christmas party and then the new show would premiere in spring of 2004. unless there planning to use this area for the new "aladdin style" snow white show that we have been hearing about.

Beach party isnt the greatest show but it gets people over to that area. without that, muppets isnt going to see people at all and millionaire will probably be affected too.

this rumor doesnt sound very likely to me

Darkbeer
07-19-2003, 12:00 AM
You can start by picking up the latest Guide to the Magic, dated July 18 thru August 10th, 2003...

You will find the following where normally you have the show times listed...

"Please see venue for show times", for both Goofy's and the Detective school...

Also, the same comment is listed under Playhouse Disney (rumored to be cutting back how many shows they offer a day)

For Aladdin, there are only 3 shows a day now on Monday and Tuesdays (12:30, 2:15 and 5 PM), but still offers 4 shows a day Wed-Sun (12:45, 2:30, 4:45 and 6:15 PM).

The person at MouseInfo who reported this info is an entertainment CM (and somebody in management). I know this for a fact, and has been very reliable in the past.

I also have been in at DLR since Wednesday, and have additional confirmation from other CM's.....

Another CM over at LaughingPlace says the decision was made because senior management issued a required labor cut for all divisions. Most divisions got the labor savings when they cut back the operating hours for the rest of the summer. But that did not give the Entertainment division any savings, so they had to cut park offerings....

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-38071-P-2&Refresh=0719011601

(Post #14)

alohastichy
07-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Entertainment has known that Detective School was going as of early June... they need to start building the back set for Snow White (which leaves the Holiday party up in the air this year...maybe at DCA).

The Character Dept. is sad for lack of shows... it just puts more pressure on characters in the park... *Sigh*