PDA

View Full Version : Ariel's New Hair

Waterbury
05-19-2012, 02:10 PM
So I went on Ariel's Undersea Adventure this past weekend and I noticed that Ariel has new hair during the big Under the Sea song!

No longer is it the giant tornado of hair but instead more like a splayed out pony tail.

Thoughts or opinions? Anyone know what made the change happen?

bennette
05-19-2012, 02:23 PM
I thought the old hair was odd looking and I know a few others who did, too. Maybe there were more of us than I realized.

Now if they could just fix the GIANT eyes she's got in that scene. They scare me. :0

olegc
05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
the scene from the movie provides the context as to why the hair was twisted in a soft-serve cone style (she spins upward and creates that spiral). In the ride there is no context like that so it looked really odd. having it "float" now seems to fit the scene a lot better.

Waterbury
05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Ah. That makes a lot of sense then why it was that way originally and why they changed it.

Now does anyone have an explanation for why Triton is the only one with 'real' hair?

Berit76
05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Her abs are strange in that scene, almost like the metal is going to poke out...

vratiana
05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I think the new hair is much better. What I don't really like is the change they made to the beginning, when you see Ariel and Flounder swimming above you. They made it more animated now. I liked the old silhouette effect better. It looked more like Ariel was swimming above you.

cdcooper
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
On another two notes:

1) When they announced the changes to the ride, they also said they were changing how the fish spouted out water during the "Kiss the Girl" scene, did they go ahead and do anything there?

2) Does anyone else feel like the ceiling of the attraction during the under the sea scene could be concealed better? The lights are pretty obvious to me...perhaps I need to use my 8 year old eyes again...don't get me wrong, I love the attraction.

monkeyboy
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
So Ariel's hair in the "under the sea" number is no longer the Marge Simpson/Soft Serve Ice Cream style? That has to be an improvement... everytime the car would turn the corner and you'd see her with that magic pyramid of hair I'd just want to start rasping "Oh Homie...."
The thing I wish they could change would be to make Ursula's demise a bit more, uh, noticable? It's sort of anticlimactic that it's basically just a flat scene tucked against a wall... the first time I rode it I missed that entirely and thought the scene where Ariel got her voice back (right before the wedding finale) was actually Ursula using Ariel's voice... since it was a silhouette it was sort of hard to tell.

fairestoneofall
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
No more soft serve hair? I must validate that this weekend!

danyoung
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Her abs are strange in that scene, almost like the metal is going to poke out...

That's actually a much bigger problem to me than the hair, although I'm glad they changed it. I read that Lasseter himself was involved in this change, which is a good thing!

bumblebeeonarose
05-21-2012, 03:30 PM
1) When they announced the changes to the ride, they also said they were changing how the fish spouted out water during the "Kiss the Girl" scene, did they go ahead and do anything there?

I thought I'd read that they had changed that part several times already.

heatherya
05-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I noticed the hair last weekend when we were ther...huge improvement....never liked the ice cream hair either. I hadn't noticed the Ariel and flounder change, but my 5 year old dd did :)

Waterbury
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Aha! So the ariel flounder scene was different as well! I thought it was different but couldn't pin point it.

I don't recall any change to the "kiss the girl" scene, however I could have missed it.

It's great that a year later they are still tweaking the ride.