PDA

View Full Version : AP and D23 Cars Land and Buena Vista Street Preview events

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

lurkyloo
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
OK, so Disney is now selling admission (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/special-offers/disney-california-adventure-grand-reopening-preview-for-passholders/) to Annual Passholder Cars Land previews on June 9 and 10. I dunno if this is the right thread for following the news on this, but I will be interested to hear how this works in terms of crowd control. You can only enter for 4- or 5-hour blocks, but are they really going to be clearing the area at the end of each block? I'm worried that when we show up at 6pm, it'll be wall-to-wall bodies...

cstephens
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
OK, so Disney is now selling admission (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/special-offers/disney-california-adventure-grand-reopening-preview-for-passholders/) to Annual Passholder Cars Land previews on June 9 and 10. I dunno if this is the right thread for following the news on this, but I will be interested to hear how this works in terms of crowd control. You can only enter for 4- or 5-hour blocks, but are they really going to be clearing the area at the end of each block? I'm worried that when we show up at 6pm, it'll be wall-to-wall bodies...

OK, I'm really confused. Because that offer is the exact same offer being given to D23 members (http://d23.disney.go.com/events/2012/03/13/d23-preview-event-opportunities-include-experiences-in-cars-land-buena-vista-street-and-carthay-circle-theatre/), but those tickets don't go on sale for another couple days whereas the AP tickets are available now.

Where did you find out about that link? Cause I haven't seen it on Disneyland's Twitter or Facebook feed. Thanks.

lurkyloo
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Exactly! I have no idea why D23 is making members wait til Friday to buy their tickets when anyone with an AP can buy them now! I got the link from MiceChat's Twitter feed.

rickosuave1987
05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Exactly! I have no idea why D23 is making members wait til Friday to buy their tickets when anyone with an AP can buy them now! I got the link from MiceChat's Twitter feed.

I think the idea is that not ALL D23 members have annual passes.

I am still confused by both sites though. Is it $50 per person? The D23 makes it seem like you and a guest can get in for $50, but the AP site says you can purchase up to 8 tickets, so $50 per person...

lurkyloo
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
For APs it's $50/$75/$500 per person. Unless *that* is the value of D23 membership—that you pay less for more people. But somehow I think it's yet another D23 typo...

rickosuave1987
05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
For APs it's $50/$75/$500 per person. Unless *that* is the value of D23 membership—that you pay less for more people. But somehow I think it's yet another D23 typo...

Looking at it again, you have to be an AP to buy a ticket from D23 too... SO unless it's 2 for the price of one, buy one through the AP site if you want to get it!

AVP
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Looking at it again, you have to be an AP to buy a ticket from D23 too... SO unless it's 2 for the price of one, buy one through the AP site if you want to get it!That's not how I read it:

Available only to D23 Members in good standing. Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest for one of the experiences listed on June 9 OR June 10. There are a limited number of tickets available. Theme park admission is required and not included in the preview event ticket; if you are a Disneyland Resort Annual Passholder attending this event and are blocked out, your block will be lifted for this one day.

cstephens
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I think the idea is that not ALL D23 members have annual passes.

I am still confused by both sites though. Is it $50 per person? The D23 makes it seem like you and a guest can get in for $50, but the AP site says you can purchase up to 8 tickets, so $50 per person...

I get that not all D23 members have APs, nor do all APs have D23 membership. It just seems weird that they'd have different sale dates for the two groups, and to not tell either group that the other group has access to the same exact packages.

It's $50 per person. D23 members can only buy a total of 2 tickets, so they can bring a guest, but the guest's ticket also costs $50. Whereas D23 members can only buy two tickets total, APs can buy 8 tickets total.

lurkyloo
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I think it's ridiculous, but they do seem to do this a lot—notice the semiannual "D23 member shopping days" they have at World of Disney that are always the same day as the "Annual Passholder shopping days" there. :eyeroll:

cstephens
05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
You can only enter for 4- or 5-hour blocks, but are they really going to be clearing the area at the end of each block? I'm worried that when we show up at 6pm, it'll be wall-to-wall bodies...

There's an hour in between each time period, so yes, I would expect they're going to clear the park after every group.

cstephens
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I think it's ridiculous, but they do seem to do this a lot—notice the semiannual "D23 member shopping days" they have at World of Disney that are always the same day as the "Annual Passholder shopping days" there. :eyeroll:

But as I recall, when they do those, they publicize the fact that both APs and D23 members can get into that. In this case, they seem to have made it a point of keeping the notices and ticket availability dates separate.

SJF510
05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I purchased my family tickets to the June 10th evening preview. We wanted to see Carlsland all lit up with the neon. We also have our names in the hat for the Monday preview, so if that comes through, we'll go twice. I really appreciate them opening up an opportunity like this. Our record on passholder previews is mixed so it's nice knowing we have a guaranteed spot!

olegc
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
There's an hour in between each time period, so yes, I would expect they're going to clear the park after every group.

not the whole park, just the carsland and BV street portions, right? the park (DCA) is still open to the general public, is it not (on 9th and 10th). It;s even open to AP holders, but you have to buy a separate ticket to get into the preview.

rickosuave1987
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
That's not how I read it:

I had tweeted to D23 asking for clarification before the AP one was posted, they just replied that through them it is $50+ per person... So there is absolutely no benefit in waiting to buy tickets til Friday...

@rickosuave1987 Thanks for asking! The cost is per person.

AVP
05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I had tweeted to D23 asking for clarification before the AP one was posted, they just replied that through them it is $50+ per person... So there is absolutely no benefit in waiting to buy tickets til Friday...I purchased mine through Disney today.

Toocherie
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I do recall--however--that the past passholder previews for new attractions have been "free"--yes, you needed to sign up, but there wasn't a charge. I guess Disney has figured out people will pay for early access . . . . . . and yes, I paid. :-) I'm going Sunday in the afternoon/evening too.

olegc
05-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I had tweeted to D23 asking for clarification before the AP one was posted, they just replied that through them it is $50+ per person... So there is absolutely no benefit in waiting to buy tickets til Friday...

true if you are a passholder (and all your guests are passholders). not true if you are only a D23 member, and not a passholder. You have to wait.

AVP
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I do recall--however--that the past passholder previews for new attractions have been "free"--yes, you needed to sign up, but there wasn't a charge. I guess Disney has figured out people will pay for early access . . . . . . and yes, I paid. :-) I'm going Sunday in the afternoon/evening too.I think Disney now faces a no-win situation for AP previews - there's just no way to let any sizable chunk of the estimated 1 million APs preview anything before it opens to the public. So this way those who are willing to pay for the privilege can do so (and some of the money goes to charity, so it looks less like a money grab on Disney's part), while those who aren't willing to do so can enter the contest for free tickets and hope for the best. It's not an ideal solution, but I don't know that there's a better one given the HUGE interest and few preview days open.

cstephens
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
not the whole park, just the carsland and BV street portions, right? the park (DCA) is still open to the general public, is it not (on 9th and 10th). It;s even open to AP holders, but you have to buy a separate ticket to get into the preview.

Yes, you're correct. I forgot the rest of the park is open. So odd when the access is to a land as opposed to one attraction or an entire park. I did think it was weird that the paid AP preview ticket includes a 1 park/1 day ticket. Ummm, if you're an AP, which you have to be to buy the tickets now, you don't need admission, unless it's a blockout day for you, in which case they usually say that it includes a blockout day ticket. But premiers and premiums don't need the blockout day ticket.

I do recall--however--that the past passholder previews for new attractions have been "free"--yes, you needed to sign up, but there wasn't a charge.

Well, they are still doing a free preview - that's the 11th. You just have to pay if you want to get in earlier or don't end up getting one of the free ones.

bennette
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Reservations made.

kiowa
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I wish we could find out how many tickets will be made available. Imagine buying a ticket and having to wait 3 hours to get on one ride. That would kill the experience. Especially when they make the comment about long waits. "The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time."

Toocherie
05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
But they did AP previews for Star Tours just last year--and most people who could make it I believe got to go. some multiple times.

maybe the real issue is that they've put a firm deadline on the Grand Opening so they don't have enough days to do as many passholder events.

AVP do you have any info on how many tickets to each time period they are selling? Let's say 5,000 tickets--just for kicks. That's $250k each time period (at the $50 level) times four time periods equals a million bucks. In two days. To essentially "test" their new land for them. My recollection is $500k was going to charity--so they get the other $500k.

Yes -- before anyone else says it---I know I'm one of those "entitled" passholders who feels like pledging the bulk of my vacation dollars to Disney should entitle me to a freebie now and then like a passholder preview. Oh wait--I got to see Fantasmic last night. never mind.

bennette
05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I wish we could find out how many tickets will be made available. Imagine buying a ticket and having to wait 3 hours to get on one ride. That would kill the experience. Especially when they make the comment about long waits. "The preview event may include long wait periods, is subject to temporary closures and may be canceled at any time."

All the previews I've ever been to included similar disclaimer language (and those have all been free previews). The rides, area, equipment, and staff are still new, after all.

When you think about it, it's not that different from any other day at Disneyland; your mileage may vary. You have to decide if you're comfortable with the possibilities before you spend your money.

Some folks will be there to check out the atmosphere and food and have limited interest in rides. Others would be thrilled to wait three hours to ride if it meant they were among the first to do so. Everyone's threshold is different.

KarenW2
05-16-2012, 02:29 AM
When I read the Facebook notice this morning about the AP version, it surprised me, since I read the D23 version first and it sounded like it would be just for D23 members, but it's not, it's both APs and D23s at the same times and days!!

The differences I found were the following: the $500 dinner packages are available for BOTH days for APs, but only on Sunday for D23s! The AP dinner ticket includes "Preferred boarding on Radiator Springs Racers", but there's no info on that for the D23 dinner tickets. There are also no dinner time choices listed for the D23 dinner on 6-10.

Wristbands for the $50 & $75 AP tix are available after 6:30 am the day of the event at any ticket booth, while the $500 dinner tix are available thru Guest Services at the same time on the day of the event. There is no info given on wristband distribution on the D23 event page for any tix.

I wonder if there will be any additional info posted before Friday for the D23 events and if that experience will be any different from the AP experience.

Malcon10t
05-16-2012, 05:06 AM
The differences I found were the following: the $500 dinner packages are available for BOTH days for APs, but only on Sunday for D23s! I believe this is because Club 33 members are having a similar dinner on the 9th.