PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Rehab

cutelittleartist
07-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Are they finally getting rid of the asbestos?

Seriously though. Why the long rehab?

stagedoorjonny
07-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Well it is a little more than a rehab. They are replacing the entire track and cars. The rehab was schedule to start this fall but one morning in April they didn't open, I presume they inspection that day found a mojor problem.

cutelittleartist
07-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to the reopening of Space. :)

Icy Bacon
07-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the new track/trains? Please let it not be in-house or Vekoma...

Klutch
07-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Disney should hire Bolliger & Mabillard, of Switzerland. They built the Alpengeist inverted coaster at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg. I've ridden that coaster many times and each time I marveled at how precise and smooth the track is. Even while waiting in line I admired the engineering excellence everywhere I looked on that coaster.

However, I expect they'll hire "Mel's Steelwork, Inc." of San Pedro, or something similar.

:D

Darkbeer
07-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Vekoma is building the new track, and is also building the Hong Kong version.... Sorry, Icy Bacon....:eek:

YellowMan
07-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Disney seems to have a bit of a thing for Vekoma, as they've done many of their coasters. Only relatively recently have they branched out to Intamin, the design firm behind (most recently) California Screamin' as well as other rides.

lazyboy97O
07-15-2003, 09:28 PM
I don't see what's so wrong with Vekoma, I've always enjoyed their coasters. Also, what other Disney attractions were built by Intamin?

Morrigoon
07-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Intamin did a nice job on Screamin' ... very smoothe!

Wanda Woman
07-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Can anyone give an update about what kind of work is actually going on right now inside the building? Any stuff going in or coming out?

Wanda 'A Curious Cat' Woman

lilbitopxedust
07-16-2003, 10:46 AM
I know that for a couple of days a few weeks ago, there was a lot of loud banging coming from the area of Space Mountain...and the door that opens to the backstage area had a dumpster stuck in it, filled to the brim with scrap metal. I couldn't tell if that was pieces of track or what it was...

dav
07-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Intamin did a nice job on Screamin' ... very smoothe!

Excellent indeed! This was fine craftmanship.

-dav

Icy Bacon
07-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Vekoma is building the new track, and is also building the Hong Kong version.... Sorry, Icy Bacon....:( Very bad news, and very surprising since I figured Intamin would do it considering their modern track style is very similar to the original Space Mountain style. I just hope Vekoma doesn't use their standard track design... oh well, at least since SM is all downhill it won't be able to valley like every currently operating Vekoma coaster! :)

tink360
07-17-2003, 10:34 PM
i just hope it will be less jerky than it was before, & that there will be music again.

jerjer2005
07-18-2003, 10:46 PM
heres an update of whats going on...

I talked to a lead in tomorrowland and this is what they told me yesterday...

1)we are getting the exact same track lay out
2) new cars
3)new soundtrack (soundtrack will be imputed into the cars in the same manner as screamin
4)new special effects
5)they are currently gutting the building
6)they just finished removing special effects equiptment thats worth keeping
7)right on schedual
8)no outdoor launching system
9) new sponsor has not been found
10)fed-ex did not renew

death from below
07-19-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
:( Very bad news, and very surprising since I figured Intamin would do it considering their modern track style is very similar to the original Space Mountain style. I just hope Vekoma doesn't use their standard track design... oh well, at least since SM is all downhill it won't be able to valley like every currently operating Vekoma coaster! :)
I have ridden Rock-n-Roller Coaster at MGM, and it was done by Vekoma. The ride is smooth and one of the better coasters I have been on. The inversions have no head banging and the launch is awesome, and you can't beat hearing Aerosmith pumped through the speakers. :D
BTW, as far as I know, RnC has not valley'd.

Leap for Joy
07-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
3)new soundtrack (soundtrack will be imputed into the cars in the same manner as screamin
... [/B]
I like this when it works, but several of the Screamin' cars are without music already! Others sound static-y, like they're shorting out. I wonder if the speakers can't withstand the vibrations.

Laffite
07-19-2003, 11:45 AM
heres an update of whats going on...

I talked to a lead in tomorrowland and this is what they told me yesterday...

1)we are getting the exact same track lay out
2) new cars
4)new special effects
5)they are currently gutting the building
6)they just finished removing special effects equiptment thats worth keeping
7)right on schedual
8)no outdoor launching system
10)fed-ex did not renew

sounds like a winning combination.

mrfantasmic
07-19-2003, 12:25 PM
That's more than I've heard has been going on. What's your source?

tangaroa
07-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
I just hope Vekoma doesn't use their standard track design...

I've heard they are using a design pretty similar to the one that was already in Space Mountain. A typical family coaster.

oh well, at least since SM is all downhill it won't be able to valley like every currently operating Vekoma coaster! :)

Gadget's Go Coaster is a Vekoma isn't it? It's great, if not a little short :)

mrfantasmic
07-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Gadget's Go-Coaster was built out of spare metal from expanding the 5 freeway. At the last minute, though, they realized that they needed to make the freeway another lane wider. That left WDI with approximately 4 tons of steel to make a roller coaster with. Thus bringing us Gadget's Go-Coaster.
:fez:

AnimeNut
07-20-2003, 12:22 AM
10)fed-ex did not renew

So... what does this mean for the videos in the queue? Will they just change the Fed-Ex commercials to feature the new sponsor? Or will they scrap the whole SMTV concept, thus freeing us from one more unnecessary venue for Mario Lopez to prolong his career.

Most importantly of all, have we seen the last of the Shannen Doherty look-alike (I believe her nametag reads "Kathleen") in the safety video? Mmm, Kathleen...