PDA

View Full Version : Condor Flats Area Music @ DCA

Winca
08-23-2001, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone...

Before I get started, I want to say thank you to everyone who has welcomed me into Mousepad; you guys are awesome. By the way, my 21st birthday last Tuesday was memorable, if not for the fact that I lost any recollection of what went on after my 7th drink. (Please keep note that I've NEVER had a drink before then.) Major thanks to Ralph Wiggum (Dave) for his well wishes.

My question for anyone who knows, is what is the arrangement for the music at Condor Flats/ waiting area music for DCA's Soarin' over California? The music is quite emotional and captures the feeling anticipation of flight. I bought the DCA Official Album, and it only has the music from Soarin' over California in-ride.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Will

stan4d_steph
08-23-2001, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the board Winca. I'm rather new myself, being here only since mid-July. I've settled right in though. :)

In answer to your question, I think it's music swiped from movie soundtracks. I haven't hung around long enough to identify all of it, but I'm pretty sure I heard music from "The Right Stuff" being played.I'll pay more attention in the future. Sometimes it's hard to identify even though it sounds familiar. Someone "on the inside" might know the exact tunes for the loop though. Anyone?

Briarose710
08-23-2001, 04:10 PM
I know they're move soundtrack songs and one of them is from "AIr force one" yea not much help ii know but one of my friends and i were there yesterday trying to identify them (we spend our day off trying to identify songs played in the park?? anyone else think thats wierd ?yea we're both DCA Cm's)
anyways thats the only one that we could actually identify

CaliforniaCrazy
08-24-2001, 07:55 AM
I know for a fact that you can hear the theme from 'The Last Starfighter' played infrequently. I wish someone could make a list of all the music in Condor Flats. anyone have any time on their hands?:D

stan4d_steph
08-24-2001, 08:23 AM
I was thinking about dropping by this Sunday. If anyone else who knows some movie soundtracks is willing to hang out with me, I wouldn't mind sticking around for a bit. I doubt I'd be able to identify everything on my own though.

JeffG
08-24-2001, 08:48 AM
I haven't identified absolutely all of the Condor Flats music, but I can list several that I have recognized. I'm also posting this purely from memory, so it is possible that I am forgetting one or two bits of music that I have recognized.

- "Jupiter" from Holst's "The Planets"
- Theme from "The Right Stuff" by Bill Conti
- March from "1941" by John Williams
- Theme from "Spacecamp" by John Williams
- Theme from "Air Force One" by Jerry Goldsmith
- Theme from "The Last Starfighter" by Craig Safan
- "Liberty Fanfare" by John Williams

I haven't spent enough time in the indoor queue for "Soarin' Over California" to hear much of the music, but I know that I've heard Jerry Goldsmith's march from "Patton" and Mark Isham's theme from "The American President". Once you get to the area with the video preshow, all of the music from then on is original music written for the attraction by Jerry Goldsmith.

-Jeff

Napsto
08-24-2001, 09:49 AM
thats pretty good jeff

stan4d_steph
08-24-2001, 11:54 AM
Cool list JeffG. Now that I think of it, I do believe I heard music from "1941" while in the area. I haven't been as into soundtracks recently, but still enjoy it when I hear a snippet from something I recognize.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-24-2001, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure, but I think I've also heard Apollo 13 and something that may have been The Rocketeer (although I never actually saw the latter picture). Incidentally (though I'm wandering a bit off-topic), the Kennedy Space Center uses The Right Stuff in the Early Space Flight Museum, and Apollo 13 in the Apollo/Saturn V Center.

Actually, I would say that music is one area where DCA, despite its infant-status, has no trouble meeting the Disney theme park standards, particularly in Condor Flats and Hollywood Backlot.

--
James H. H. Lampert

WizKidRyan
08-24-2001, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Actually, I would say that music is one area where DCA, despite its infant-status, has no trouble meeting the Disney theme park standards, particularly in Condor Flats and Hollywood Backlot.

I couldnt agree more! Except for Paradise Pier...If I here California Girls played in that organy bubbly tingy not so musical style one more time...

Hades
08-25-2001, 09:45 PM
Ok, here I go again playing "Devil's Advocate":D

I wonder if Disney has aquired the rights to play all these tunes in the park. I'm not a Lawyer (Thank goodness. That would just get everyone into trouble) but isn't there laws that prohibit playback or reproduction of copyrighted music in a public display?

Just some food for thought.:cool:

tabacco
08-25-2001, 11:56 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a song in there somewhere from Patton.

JeffG
08-27-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Hades

I wonder if Disney has aquired the rights to play all these tunes in the park. I'm not a Lawyer (Thank goodness. That would just get everyone into trouble) but isn't there laws that prohibit playback or reproduction of copyrighted music in a public display?

I think it is safe to say that Disney is pretty knowledgable about copyright laws. It is a very safe bet that they have properly negotiated the rights to all the music that is being used in the park. There is no way that they would make a mistake like that.

-Jeff

Napsto
08-27-2001, 12:25 PM
yea, disney would take car of that stuff.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-27-2001, 01:24 PM
WizKidRyan said:

Except for Paradise Pier...If I here California Girls played in that organy bubbly tingy not so musical style one more time...

Actually, the idea of "surf rock" arranged for band organ is an integral part of the whole Paradise Pier concept: Band organ because that's the sort of music that pervaded the old seaside amusement parks and carnivals; "surf rock" because the whole park is California-oriented.

Personally, I think it sounds better this way than it did in its original form. (And every time I hear the Hammond riff from "California Sun" [which was playing in Sunshine Plaza, in its original form, the last time I was in DCA], I always think about how much less obnoxious it would sound on real pipes!) Then again, take a look at what I'm playing in my "avatar" (a vacation picture from my 1999 trip to Seattle).

WizKidRyan
08-27-2001, 02:43 PM
It's not the music itself that bothers me...It's that in the past 10 visits the only song I ever hear on Paradise Pier is California Girls. The first couple times it was alright but now its just....grrrrrrrr :)

SimpTwister
08-27-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Hades
Ok, here I go again playing "Devil's Advocate":D

Any entity that wants to play recorded music in a commercial setting, whether it's a club, mall, or theme park, only needs to acquire the proper license from ASCAP and/or BMI.

Between the two organizations, just about all the music in the world is covered, and I mean this quite literally.

Here is a bit more on the subject: http://www.ascap.com/lp_about_ascap.html

MickeyD
08-28-2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by WizKidRyan
It's not the music itself that bothers me...It's that in the past 10 visits the only song I ever hear on Paradise Pier is California Girls. The first couple times it was alright but now its just....grrrrrrrr :)

I know exactly what you mean. Plus, all the other music at DCA is cool, but the melody of that song is what always sticks in my head all day long.

Briarose710
08-28-2001, 01:17 PM
yea the music is themed and sounds great but umm listening tot he same reel for an 8-hour shift...can get old =) anyways as for the copyright stuff like someone said earlier there isnt much to do to play it in a public venue they jsut can't sell it which is why the majority of it doesn't appear on the soundtrack CD

Hades
08-28-2001, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the link SimpTwister. It shed a lot of light on the subject for me. :)