PDA

View Full Version : Single Rider Splash Mountain Experiences!

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailMan
07-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Well, as a common Single Rider for Splash Mountain, I have many a story to tell. :)

As you know I am very evil, and commonly "ruin our famly photo". A family of 4 loaded into a log, and I was standing in the Single Rider line. After gleeful crossing the bridge, I now had to deal with the rudest family ever. After being assigned to "row 3", the back seat, this family proceded to tell me, as I tryed to board the log, that, "I think he said wait for the next boat". However, the CM quckly told them, that I was sitting in that seat. Well, now, this family was, accoring to the mother, "annoyed". The whole trip, they talked about how they waited in an Hour line, just to get a photo. I just ingored them, and kept singing. However, in the laughing place, they asked me, "Is it possible for you to bend down, you know, to make the seat empty?". I was steamed. :mad: However, I did not reply, and gave a small, evil like smirk. As we approched the drop, at the top, I leaned back, into my seat, as she quickly glanced over, to see that I was down. The moment she turned around, I raised my hands, and gave a very blank look. :| Then, I quickly ducked back into my seat, as we went through the steam, and she looked around, just to check. So, after exiting, I quickly rushed to the front, and waited in the corner, to see their reaction. She was steamed. After all, how dare I, a person who didn't have to ride, ruin their famly photo. Quickly, she spotted me, in the corner, and rushed to the CM, who was walking to the ride. She explained herself, and the CM gave her a very bland responce, with out any real solution. As they steamed out, she came to me, through the exit, and procded to scold me. I stopped, turned around, and replyed, "Next time, use FastPass.", and made a run for it. Where's an international hand signal, when I need one." ;)

Don't mess with MonorailMan. :~D

More to come. ;)

DisneyFan25863
07-13-2003, 08:48 PM
That was YOU!?!?! How DARE you do that to my Mother!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding :fez: :~D They deserved everything they got. So what if you "runined" their perfect picture? If they have the nerve to ask you to bend down.....:mad:

Edited to add this:
BTW: I had kinda the same experencience on Indy.....they asked me to bend down because I was the only person in the row who wasn't with them, and they didn't want the picture messed up. They were really rude about it.....then proceeded to blame ME when we got off and they didn't find a photo shop.......
Them: "Why didn't you TELL us, you (word that rhymes with ducking) teenager!?!?!?!?"
"Well, you didn't ask....."

You shoulda seen the look on their faces :~D

YellowMan
07-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Hmm...I think both parties were at fault here. They were rude because you were told to ride with them, but you were rude by raising your hands in spite of them. As a person who visits Disneyland a lot, I would have expected you to try to be nice and accomodate this family. I know if they asked me to lean down I would have understood, as I have had many family photos ruined by unruly teens and the like. But hey, I'm a people pleaser who actually likes to help a family on their vacation to DLR, even if they're somewhat rude about it.

MonorailMan
07-13-2003, 09:10 PM
FYI: They were also APers. I saw them getting a MAOWTP fastpass. ;)

Disneyphile
07-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Wow! I thought I was the only person this has happened to! I had a similar experience when told to sit in the back seat, the father decided to stand in front of the seats until the gates closed, then turned around and said, "Thank you for not riding with us!" I alerted the loading CM that I was to be on that log, so she opened the gates and I got on, and he kept turning around giving me dirty looks and sighing the entire ride. :rolleyes: So, during the drop, I actually ducked behind my Stitch backpack, so maybe they'd be happier with Stitch in the photo than me. :(

Maybe I should have suggested they have another kid.;)

KateyMcButterpants
07-13-2003, 09:15 PM
If they want a perfect family photo so much, they'll just need to produce/adopt another child to fill all the spaces.

Some people need to get a grip.:rolleyes:

KateyMcButterpants
07-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Disneyphile, we cross posted with the additional child idea!

Love the Stitch antic! Good one!

MammaSilva
07-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Stuff like this...... is what photoshop is for :rolleyes:

Disneyphile
07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Maybe they should have a "Rent-a-Family-Member" service just to fill that additional seat with a person of their choosing??

The thought also occurred to me to pull a "Flash Mountain" stunt and just make it so the entire photo wouldn't come out, but I'm too nice for that. Well, mostly.;)

nursemelis374
07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
I love doing single rider becuase I usually end up with the coolest people! One time the family actually told me which way to lean so that we could all be in the picture! I also met a really cool family from Mexico on Indy. My friends laugh that I always meet people when I do this! It is part of the risk you take for not having to wait in huge lines!

YellowMan
07-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
FYI: They were also APers. I saw them getting a MAOWTP fastpass. ;) Got it. Well, that makes me feel much less sorry for them. They should just come back another time and try again. I know when my friends and I wanted a Splash picture, we arrived specifically that day with an arrangement we planned on another day. When the park opened we went directly to Splash Mountain and rode and rerode till we got it right. When we returned to the station we just told the CMs we were trying to get the on-ride photo correctly, and since there was no line yet they didn't make us get out of the log. An AP family doesn't have to go quite to the lengths my friends and I did for the picture, but they definitely could try again.

Morrigoon
07-13-2003, 11:47 PM
Man, if someone did that to me...

You know if someone asked me to make myself invisible - hee hee... I'd do it! Only my head of course ;) (You all know the headless person trick right?)

Hmm. that'd be a great trick on Halloween... especially if you carried a pair of vampire teeth with you - flash them a smile as you walk past your invisible photo :fez:

MonorailMan
07-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
You know if someone asked me to make myself invisible - hee hee... I'd do it! Only my head of course ;) (You all know the headless person trick right?)

With the redesign of the photo picture, it works even better. ;)

Morrigoon
07-14-2003, 12:25 AM
I find that my Mickey bowling shirt (which has a black contrast collar) is particularly effective for that trick :)

dflores
07-14-2003, 07:45 AM
What a stuck up family...and they have APs so it's not like they are only visiting for a couple of days and never going back again...I would have loved to see the picture! Or better yet, the mother's expression when SHE saw the picture :~D

laldava
07-14-2003, 08:40 AM
I would have done the same thing! I mean if there is a single rider system and the log is not at full capacity, you along with any single rider is entitled to that last spot. When I went to DL last summer me and my brother waited over an hour in line and were going to be placed in the last two seats of a log with a family of four. The family threw a fit for reasons similar to what you have stated. As to avoid an even larger seen than what they had already made, I asked the CM to allow us to ride the next log. She was really nice about it and agreed. I was fuming though, because on a hot summer day, with 90+ minute waits, it is ridiculous to send out logs not filled to capacity. Even worse as the family's log pulled out of the loading dock, the party proceeded to yell out obscene remarks at us (along with hand gestures) as we loaded into ours. When we left the ride, I was glad to see members of the family being reprimanded by CM's or possible security (dont exactly remember). Im not an AP holder, so like them I had paid to be there also. I just think the whole attitude of being entitled to something that many walk into the park having is stupid and unfair. I dunno -I think its ridiculous to think that you are entitled to a family photo when there are hundreds of people waiting in line for a legitimate reason, to enjoy the ride. Just my two cents. :)

idesign
07-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Despite the fact that the parents may have been rude, or perhaps simply exhausted form their day, finding a complete stranger plunked in their log has got to be surprising to say the least. Nonetheless, why would you, who have ridden how many thousands of times sing, and goof off during this family’s perhaps only time ever on this ride. The family picture is worth everything to them, and nothing to you. Go ahead and assert you rights to do as you please at the expense of someone’s only time through the adventure. This is just like the people screaming in HM. I hate that so much I can’t begin to address it. I am an AP’er along with my family, these days we go completely Touron. We wear hats and cameras, trying desperately not to look like passholders. I feel for Disney, and for the families that have to deal with so much Blasé misuse of the magic by people who have had all the wonder and excitement sandpapered away by years of familiarity-bred- contempt. Laser Pointers, Screaming, Parodies and recitations, ---Pirates, HM, SM, fantasmic, it seems like everyone has a special way to ruin the experience for the newcomers.

laldava
07-14-2003, 09:35 AM
hmmm good point...I wouldnt do the singing thing...but I wouldnt duck for their picture either. I think that is what I thought to be kind of unfair. Ive had my familiy ride with me with strangers in the log and it doesnt bother me. In fact its kind of funny to see the expressions on the faces of the strangers behind me in the picture. Plus like others who have posted I have met some really nice people riding. But once again if they were rude to me I would ignore them but come to think of it - singing and reciprocating rudeness with further rudeness does not help matters.

HBTiggerFan
07-14-2003, 09:35 AM
idesign,

If you read all of Monorail Mans posts you would see that this other family were AP holders. This wasn't their only time on the ride, and they could come back and do it again.

Before you go off on someone get all the facts straight.

MM, good for you :) And you didn't ruin their photo even if they think you did. There were lots of things you could have done so the photo didn't come out. So they got their photo, you were in it.

And for those of you who think MonorailMan was wrong, how do you know that he didn't want a Splash Mountain photo as well? That other family just assumed that he wouldn't want a photo as well and was *settling* for having some other random family in his boat since he was a single rider.

I also want to add that singing on the ride isn't rude if you 1) do it all the time (so your not just being rude to rudeness) and 2) are not doing it so loudly that the entire ride can hear you.

All views expressed in this post are the opinion of the composer of this post and do not reflect the views of anyone else on the pad, in my personal life or my cat.

idesign
07-14-2003, 10:05 AM
I read that, and I do have the facts straight.

The fact that the family is AP has nothing to do with it. It has to do with people getting over-heated, and AP's reacting to "one timers" confusion and exhaustion. If anything we should be helping.

BTW, I'd duck for them, so they can have thier picture.

Remember when you were a Kid, and your neighbor had a nintendo, and you wanted to play it? He'd play for twenty minutes and you'd loose your guy in about 30 seconds and have to wait for another twenty 'till he got knocked off somewhere in level 8? same thing... sorta. We all have to give when we can.. or yes, you could stand for your rights.

Whatever...

HBTiggerFan
07-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by idesign
I read that, and I do have the facts straight.

The fact that the family is AP has nothing to do with it. It has to do with people getting over-heated, and AP's reacting to "one timers" confusion and exhaustion. If anything we should be helping.

Except they weren't one timers, and that has everything to do with it. Everyone on the boat was an AP holder, therefore no one was reacting to "one timers" confusion or exhaustion.

If the family was nicer about asking him to duck, explaining that this trip was a once in a lifetime tr and nicer to him on the boat instead of making him feel that he is making the world come to an end because he is in their photo then I would be more appalled at the behavior. However I am a firm believer or not rewarding bad behavior, and I applaud MM for doing what he did.

I am now done debating this issue with you, I have to get back to being productive in my real life.

All views expressed in this post are the opinion of the composer of this post and do not reflect the views of anyone else on the pad, in my personal life or my cat.

nervesandgel
07-14-2003, 12:33 PM
what if it had been monorailman's first time riding, he went to disneyland with his family, his family was to scared to go on the ride, so he went for single rider so his family wouldn't have to wait long, and then he's stuck with a rude family, way to ruin the first time disney experience.

Polar33
07-14-2003, 12:41 PM
AP or no AP, unless the number of people in your party matches the number of seats in the ride vehicle, you should not expect to have one to yourselves. Everybody had an equal right to be in that log, that family was completely out of line. When I went to WDW I purchased every single on-ride photo that I could even though the photos were filled mostly with complete strangers. If I cared to I could crop (or photoshop) them out of the photo, but why? In a way, they were part of my vacation as well. I think that family needs to learn how to play well with others.

Allison
07-14-2003, 12:56 PM
I can't believe anyone thinks they have a right to their own log anyway.

No one forces you to purchase a photo.

We are not annual passholders, but we go every year for several days. I have many pictures with other people, it never would occur to me to ask someone to bend down in a ride!
As for the singing, if they were video taping, I might say you were a little rude, but as a 44 year-old "singer" myself, I don't understand how that ruined their experience if you weren't being overly obnoxious or screaming in their ears. Of course,

I don't agree with the rude, loud behavior from some of the local kids, for the same reasons many stated here. As someone who comes from a distance, to have someone ruin the attraction for you is hard to take. My solution is to experience that one again, the perpetrators seldom catch you twice.

Dexter
07-14-2003, 01:54 PM
OK, I'm going to point this out because

1.) I think MM was WRONG for acting a fool on the attraction even if the family were rotten about it, they will eventually get what's coming to them, you may not see it, but Karma is a very powerful thing and should not be messed with. I speak with great experiance on that subject.

2.) As iDesign has already pointed it out, people that "ruin" the ambiance of a ride for any reason irritate me, I go to have fun and relax at the park, misbehaving adults and teenagers are not condusive to relaxing or having fun. By ruining, I mean, screaming in the expanding room, throwing things out of ride vehicles, or basically being rude and disrupting other guests enjoyment of the attraction.

How does anyone know this family wasn't from out of state? I know a great many people that have purchased annual passports simply because of the discounts they can get during their vacation travels. Food and souvenier discounts do eventually add up. So your excuse of "They were also AP'ers..." is not a justification for you ruining another persons experience, regardless of the fact that they were rude. This could have been thier annual family trip that they only get to do once a year.

Now, in regards to the ducking down issue. I don't agree with them asking you to do that, there are a great many photo editing suites for computers today that will let you remove people or objects from a photo, some of them are fairly cheap, but again, it doesn't justify your actions on the ride.