PDA

View Full Version : DCA cuts hours AGAIN!

Darkbeer
07-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Once again, Westsider over at LaughingPlace.com reports additional cuts in hours at DCA...

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-37939-P-1&Refresh=0713011030

Now, they will be closing DCA at 9 PM on Sundays, starting July 27th..

Also, Westsider mentions that the 2,600 seat X Arena has only been getting about 500 folks per show...

Klutch
07-13-2003, 06:26 AM
I'm wondering if Tower of Terror will save DCA. I've never been on the attraction at WDW, but I've heard it's quite spectacular. Obviously, many an AP will show up to ride ToT. Do you think day visitors will cough up DCA admission when ToT is up and running? Or, will thrill seekers keep going to Magic Mountain and the stroller crowd still opt for Disneyland?

I'm also wondering if any of the Disney execs are going to actually admit that the X-games thing was just a bad idea. From an out-of-towner's point of view, those execs must be really out of touch. There are Moto-X shows that come through my town a few times a year. You can also see that stuff on TV regularly. People go to Disney parks to see things they can't see anywhere else. As my daughter used to say, "Duh to the tenth power!".

merlinjones
07-13-2003, 06:53 AM
Just fold DCA into Downtown Disney, eliminate the gate and admission, add brand name stores and eateries throughout, shuttering the lame DCA venues. Make Golden Dreams a real movie theatre and Hyperion a concert or theatre venue. Add a Downtown Disney Adventures ticket book or single tickets for the few good rides and change Paradise Pier into a separately gated Pleasure Island with niteclubs added. Everyone will make more money. They won't have to worry about coming up with more rides to add or how to advertise it. It will serve as an appetizer and support for Dl itself, and still create a reson to stay longer at the resort.

Then get back to making Disneyland the ultimate theme park in itself, a multi-day park with restorations of Walt era classics (subs, Inner space, et al) and new state-of-the-art well-funded escapist E Tickets. Raise admission accordingly.

daannzzz
07-13-2003, 08:07 AM
There isn't any one ride that can save DCA unless it was a super blockbuster 90 minute ride. The TOT is a great ride and when the waits are not to long will take add hal;f an hour , maybe to the time you spend at DCA. Of course when it first opens it may add two hours to your day in DCA. 116 of those minutes will be in the line. DCA needs a few longer imersive attractions to start to distinguish its self. RnR ain't gonna do it either.

AVP
07-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Just fold DCA into Downtown Disney, eliminate the gate and admission, add brand name stores and eateries throughout, shuttering the lame DCA venues....

....Then get back to making Disneyland the ultimate theme park in itself, a multi-day park with restorations of Walt era classics (subs, Inner space, et al) and new state-of-the-art well-funded escapist E Tickets. Raise admission accordingly. THANK YOU!

I have been advocating this approach since DCA opened. The entire DCA concept would work better if they treated the park like a permanent state fair. Cheap or free admission, charge only for the rides and shows. Mondavi and Puck would not have failed under this plan, and I'll bet they could get Levi Strauss and Ghiradelli to open the Pacific Wharf stores that were planned for them.

AVP

merlinjones
07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
AVP - - You guys should do a big editorial suggesting such a plan.

Perhaps as a major story it will get some of the right people's attention. I really do think it's the way to go. DCA is word of mouth poison as is. At minimum, it would take about three or four Magic Mountain level all-out thrill coasters to change it around (and we know they won't spend the money to do Disney level rides any time soon).

There are other creative alternatives...

Klutch
07-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a good plan, but it'll never happen. The people in charge at Disney will just keep tinkering and tinkering. No, not fixing, but tinkering, just like they do with the ABC network.

For a long time ABC has been third or lower in the ratings. Hiring talented and creative people would be the logical thing to turn the network around. Running shows that appeal to a broad audience would be a good start. Nope. Instead they flail like crazy trying to appeal to a specific demographic, 18-24 year-olds, with edgey, low budget reality fillers and bad weekly series.

Sound familiar?

TP2000
07-13-2003, 11:31 PM
AVP, merlinjones has a great point about an editorial. With this latest XGames flop and the sudden reduction in summer hours for DCA only, it's obvious to many of us that DCA needs major help and perhaps a major rethink of it's purpose.

You have the medium right here with this website to reach a huge amount of people, and we all know Disney employees read these websites too. ;-) You also have the luxury of great writer's besides yourself like David Koenig, etc. that could help create such an editorial and/or column.

The continuing saga and drama surrounding the day to day operation of DCA and it's challenges would make a great story. And the people officially connected with this website have already expressed some brilliant insight into the specific problems, and potential fixes, for DCA. I would encourage you to create a major expose', or a specifically crafted series of columns, on the DCA story of the early 21st century. It could be a fascinating read, for both fans and Disney employees alike!

Doodle Duck
07-14-2003, 05:49 AM
All well and GOOD....but someone (or some-many) would have to bite a BIG bullet and admit the flops and take a 'personal' in the shorts.

On the other hand since it would be good for the overall, a simple..."Well folks we tried our best...but we're going to have to change a few things.." blah blah blah

or

"Appologies to all the many fans and supporters of the current DCA...but market forces require a new and we believe more spectacular direction..." blah blah blah

or

"Due to 9/11 we are adjusting the DCA footprinjt and running a few new ideas up the flagpole..." blah blah blah

or

"Pressler was a moron...so...here's what we're gonna do..."

merlinjones
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Accent-u-ate the pos-i-tive...

"Due to the incredible success of Downtown Disney and the demand for additional major retailers and dining facilities, Downtown Disney is expanding to include the former Disney's California Adventure. All of the new Downtown Disney Adventures, such as the Tower of Terror, the broadway calibur Aladdin show and Soarin' Over California attractions will now be available to DTD patrons without general admission. Individual attraction tickets will be sold. Special ticket books can also be purchased to enjoy these thrilling attractions while you shop and dine in Downtown Disney's unique atmosphere. Several major chains are to be announced, with additional movie venues and an IMAX theatre. A lower cost dining pavillion will feature local favorites such as Rubio's, In & Out and Baja Fresh, while upscale restauranteurs Robert Mondavi and Wolfgang Puck return to their signature eateries."

"Coming soon, one of Walt Disney World's most popular attractions for adults: Pleasure Island, with five themed nightclubs and a host of carnival attractions, including the California Screamin' coaster, will rock the California coastline."

"A highly themed miniature Golf course and water park will soon compliment these compelling new options for Orange County entertainment."

"Join us as we further celebrate the blossoming of Disneyland into a full resort complex. Soon we will announce some major new developments for Disneyland Park that will make it a multi-day destination by itself."

Doesn't even sound bad.

HBTiggerFan
07-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Turning DCA into part of DTD would be unique as well! It would be something the other parks (Universal) don't have. Universal has City Walk but they don't have a City Walk with rides and a musical show.