PDA

View Full Version : An Avengers Attraction -The Ongoing Debate

Pages : [1] 2 3

dban3
05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
In today's quarterly earnings report Disney CEO Bob Iger had this nugget included in his statements:

In its earnings release, CEO Robert Iger expressed confidence for the current quarter, partially because Marvel Entertainment's The Avengers "shattered domestic box-office records with a $207.1 million opening weekend for a global performance of more than $702 million to date."

On a conference call with analysts, Iger called Avengers "a great illustration of why we like Marvel so much." Then -- as if there were any doubts -- the CEO announced that a sequel to the blockbuster film is in the works with a release date "to be determined."

Multiple analysts asked about the licensed-product opportunities surrounding Avengers. Iger said there is stronger demand for Hulk toys since the release of the film last week, and added that there are "multiple opportunities to mine these great characters."

Iger said there are plans, for example, to add Avenger-based attractions to theme parks where existing deals with competitors make that possible.

Here is the direct link to Hollywood Reporter article

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-quarterly-earnings-expectations-321661

Ohthatjeff
05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Iger said there are plans, for example, to add Avenger-based attractions to theme parks where existing deals with competitors make that possible.

Assuming that the existing deal means just characters appearing at the Universal parks, that pretty much limits it to Fury, Hill, Hawkeye, and Black Widow from the movie characters then doesn't it? Maybe we can look forward to a Squirrel Girl ride or "The Living Seas with Namor."

dban3
05-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Assuming that the existing deal means just characters appearing at the Universal parks, that pretty much limits it to Fury, Hill, Hawkeye, and Black Widow from the movie characters then doesn't it? Maybe we can look forward to a Squirrel Girl ride or "The Living Seas with Namor."

You can add an Avengers attraction in Disneyland/DCA (and other Disney parks around the world) but not WDW. East of the Mississippi River is where Universal's territory begins from what I have read because of IOA and pre-existing contracts with Marvel before the acquisition.

TTFN92
05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I dread the day they put Marvel characters at DL. I don't care if Disney owns them, they are not Disney. I cringe every time I see them at the Disney Store.

oregontraveler
05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I second that emotion.

PlayGirlBunny
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't mind seen the merch at Downtown Disney but at Disneyland it would be strange I feel that is more a Universal Studios thing. I would so hate to see Charactor meets in Disneyland I would so ask myself it I was at Disneyland or Comic Con.

cstephens
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
You can add an Avengers attraction in Disneyland/DCA (and other Disney parks around the world) but not WDW.

I'm not sure where they'd fit in Disneyland. I don't think any of the lands could accommodate them - maybe Iron Man in Tomorrowland?

While I'm usually loathe to stick everything in the Hollywood Studios Backlot in DCA, I think that would be the only place that could accommodate them. The old Millionaire stage and the old Hollywod and Dine location are both empty and just used for events - maybe one of those is big enough for an attraction?

dban3
05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure where they'd fit in Disneyland. I don't think any of the lands could accommodate them - maybe Iron Man in Tomorrowland?

While I'm usually loathe to stick everything in the Hollywood Studios Backlot in DCA, I think that would be the only place that could accommodate them. The old Millionaire stage and the old Hollywod and Dine location are both empty and just used for events - maybe one of those is big enough for an attraction?

Yeah... the area back there by Monsters Inc with the old Millionaire building, Stage 17, and maybe even Monsters Inc itself (thats a big building). People fret over things thematically fitting in Hollywoodland but if you can stick Monsters Inc., Mad T Party, and TRON back there, almost anything goes. In DL, Innoventions is a waste of space and my favorite target - ToonTown (except Roger Rabbit). Plus, in a cramped space, Disney seems to be able to carve out real estate when they need it.

Wouldn't want to see a Marvel "land" but a great attraction would be a draw for a wide demographic. Universal did a fantastic job with Transformers 3D. Something along these lines perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-fkBeZdYfg&feature=g-user-u

cstephens
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
my favorite target - ToonTown (except Roger Rabbit).

Nope, I love Toontown, even if I don't get a chance to get there much, and it's very popular, so I wouldn't want to wipe it out. And though the Marvel characters are technically "toons", I don't see them fitting in there. Plus, remember that Toontown has to close early for fireworks, so that might not be a good idea for a new Marvel-based attraction.

dban3
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Nope, I love Toontown, even if I don't get a chance to get there much, and it's very popular, so I wouldn't want to wipe it out. And though the Marvel characters are technically "toons", I don't see them fitting in there. Plus, remember that Toontown has to close early for fireworks, so that might not be a good idea for a new Marvel-based attraction.

Good point. Innoventions, I can go with replacing that. BTW .... from the OC Register report announcing a huge increases in theme park attendence

Disney is “ramping up” efforts to add Marvel elements in its parks, including in California, Iger said. Currently, Disney parks have strong sales of Marvel products, especially with the recent popularity of “The Avengers” movie.

Full article: http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2012/05/08/disneyland-marks-attendance-record-in-early-2012/112462/#more-112462

Striking while the iron is scorching hot.

cstephens
05-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Innoventions, I can go with replacing that.

I'd like to see something else where Innoventions is as well, but I'm not sure there's enough real estate there. Remember, there has to be room for an attraction *and* a queue. I'm trying to remember if there's room to expand towards the back, where you could hide the queue and so you can try to reduce congestion of the walkways in Tomorrowland.

That iron is going to cool some. Sure, "The Avengers" is hot and popular right now, but it's going to take years to design and build a brand-new attraction. They don't just pop up overnight. An attraction *might* be ready in time to coincide with the next Avengers film (as opposed to any of the individual superhero sequels). I expect Iger has something else in mind to add Marvel to the parks, at least anything that can be added in the near future.

IllusionOfLife
05-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Having an Avengers attraction in Tomorrowland themed around the Stark Exposition (as seen in Iron Man 2 and Captain America) could potentially tie in pretty well. After all, in Iron Man 2 they deliberately gave the Stark Expo a very Walt Disney/Carousel of Progress feel anyway, even going so far as to have Richard Sherman compose the theme song for the Expo.

One thing that could be potentially cool is bringing back the carousel theater and using it to have a big immersive 3D, Animatronic, interactive show. I know 3D shows have kind of become old hat, but if they were to do something with a lot of physical set pieces and animatronic work and combine it with 3D effects you could achieve something really cool.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

EDIT: I will say, though, that I do not want a "Marvel Land" or an "Avengers Land." Having a few attractions spread across the Disney Parks is one thing, but devoting a whole land to Marvel I feel would be less than appropriate.

dban3
05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Having an Avengers attraction in Tomorrowland themed around the Stark Exposition (as seen in Iron Man 2 and Captain America) could potentially tie in pretty well. After all, in Iron Man 2 they deliberately gave the Stark Expo a very Walt Disney/Carousel of Progress feel anyway, even going so far as to have Richard Sherman compose the theme song for the Expo.

One thing that could be potentially cool is bringing back the carousel theater and using it to have a big immersive 3D, Animatronic, interactive show. I know 3D shows have kind of become old hat, but if they were to do something with a lot of physical set pieces and animatronic work and combine it with 3D effects you could achieve something really cool.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

Sherman Bros. Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow played during the Iron Man 2 credits. Innoventions (Carousel of Progress) to Stark Expo brings this to a full circle. Is there room including a queuing area? Possibly. That's a big building. Maybe just level it and start from scratch.

IllusionOfLife
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Is there room including a queuing area? Possibly.

Well the Carousel Theater was kind of a brilliant feat of eating crowds anyway. You had four high capacity theaters that rotated meaning that you could load a ton of people every few minutes. Some extra queuing space might be necessary, but it'll be pretty high capacity to being with.

danyoung
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I dread the day they put Marvel characters at DL. I don't care if Disney owns them, they are not Disney.

I actually had the same problem with the Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Power Rangers. They were owned by Disney, but they just didn't seem Disney. As much as I love the Muppets I still had a hard time seeing them in the Disney parks. I got used to it, but it took a while. I'm thinking the same thing will happen with this - as weird as it seems now, I'll bet that soon the Marvel characters will more or less fit in.

dban3
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I actually had the same problem with the Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Power Rangers. They were owned by Disney, but they just didn't seem Disney. As much as I love the Muppets I still had a hard time seeing them in the Disney parks. I got used to it, but it took a while. I'm thinking the same thing will happen with this - as weird as it seems now, I'll bet that soon the Marvel characters will more or less fit in.

Yes.... If they can find a way for Star Wars characters and Indiana Jones to fit into the park without a lot of complaint then I think Disney can do the same for Marvel, probably better since they own the characters outright.

cstephens
05-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Yes.... If they can find a way for Star Wars characters and Indiana Jones to fit into the park without a lot of complaint then I think Disney can do the same for Marvel, probably better since they own the characters outright.

Whether or not they own a particular character has no bearing on how well a character's background would fit into the theming of any particular section of the park. As far as the "without a lot of complaint", as I recall, there was quite a bit of complaining when both Star Wars and Indy was going into the park.

houseofmouse
05-09-2012, 05:09 AM
I might just stop going to DL if they put Marvel in the parks. :(

Cory Gross
05-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Marvel doesn't fit in Disneyland for the same reason Pixar doesn't fit in Disneyland but Indy and Star Wars more or less can (a little less in my opinion, but whatever). Regardless of the fact that Disneyland should be a Disney experience and not just any old IP that Disney can buy or lease, Disneyland is primarily built on nostalgia and fantasy. When you enter Disneyland, it is under a plaque that reads "Here you leave today and enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Pixar and Marvel, however, are very contemporary. Their settings and sense of humour is very modern day... "Today" hitting you square in the face.

I'm not opposed to movie properties in the park so long as they fit, but given the choice I would prefer to have the Carousel Theater turned into a permanent Tron City rather than a Stark Expo. I suppose if they insisted on putting Marvel in there, having it contained in a building I don't have to go in is not a bad idea. Of course, in there would just end up being a Marvel-themed overlay of Innoventions (which I'm also fine with).

cstephens
05-09-2012, 06:07 AM
I might just stop going to DL if they put Marvel in the parks. :(

Really? Why?

IllusionOfLife
05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
…Disneyland is primarily built on nostalgia and fantasy. When you enter Disneyland, it is under a plaque that reads "Here you leave today and enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Pixar and Marvel, however, are very contemporary. Their settings and sense of humour is very modern day... "Today" hitting you square in the face.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Disneyland has never been about properties that are old and nostalgic, most of the Fantasyland attractions were based on films that were fairly recent when the park opened and Sleeping Beauty's Castle itself was based on a film that wouldn't open for another four years. Having modern day properties is not the problem here (and if it was the problem, why are you proposing a TRON attraction over Marvel?).

The problem is that people don't like things that are different. Marvel has never had a presence in the parks before so why should it now? We've been just fine without it, thank you very much. And while I understand that sentiment we could potentially lose some really cool, very Disney experiences that we wouldn't get otherwise. Would Adventureland be the same without Indy? Would Tomorrowland be the same without Star Tours? Should we close up shop on Toy Story Midway Mania and bulldoze Cars Land because those are contemporary properties? Let's banish Rapunzel and Tiana from the parks because they're not nostalgic yet.

Disneyland isn't a museum where we admire what Walt and his team dreamed up in the 50s; it's a place that is living and breathing and relevant to people of today. If Imagineering can come up with a great attraction based on Marvel characters, I'm all for it. And, to be quite frank, these characters have in many cases been around longer than a lot of the Disney characters have. Saying that you'll never give it a shot, or worse, stop coming to a place you love just because they add a new attraction based on a property you're not fond of is tragically narrow minded.

dban3
05-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Marvel doesn't fit in Disneyland for the same reason Pixar doesn't fit in Disneyland but Indy and Star Wars more or less can (a little less in my opinion, but whatever). Regardless of the fact that Disneyland should be a Disney experience and not just any old IP that Disney can buy or lease, Disneyland is primarily built on nostalgia and fantasy. When you enter Disneyland, it is under a plaque that reads "Here you leave today and enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." Pixar and Marvel, however, are very contemporary. Their settings and sense of humour is very modern day... "Today" hitting you square in the face.

I'm not opposed to movie properties in the park so long as they fit, but given the choice I would prefer to have the Carousel Theater turned into a permanent Tron City rather than a Stark Expo. I suppose if they insisted on putting Marvel in there, having it contained in a building I don't have to go in is not a bad idea. Of course, in there would just end up being a Marvel-themed overlay of Innoventions (which I'm also fine with).

The phrase "Disneyland should be a Disney experience" is an interesting one as I don't think you can really wrap your arms totally around what the Disney experience is anymore. Walt Disney has been dead for 45 years and in that time the park has evolved with the current culture while still maintaining its roots firmly in its past and honoring its legacy. Neither Indiana Jones or Stars Wars attractions belong to Disney, they are licensed from the owners (though one popular blog makes the assertion that should George Lucas, who has indicated that he might be done with making movies, put some of his properties up for sale - Disney may prove to be a logical buyer). There's a big hotel in DCA labeled with Twighlight Zone which is not Disney. Disney flat out bought Pixar, the Muppets, and now Marvel. Are they Disney experiences? Is TRON a Disney experience? It's a Disney created franchise but its a stretch to fit it anywhere in a classic Disney tradition. What about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland? It's a far cry from Walt's version which is probably what is referred to as classic Disney. Disney built ToonTown for kids based on a movie that no kid under 7 should probably see (essentially a murder mystery released by Disney Touchstone Pictures which back in the day was generally responsible for making Disney's mature themed movies).

The challenge for Disney in the 21st century is to make all these diverse aspects of the company fit together and leverage off of each other. With some of the best minds in the business, they do a marvelous job. To be sure, they have made mistakes but just look to the dramatic increases in attendance (and spending) announced yesterday as the economy improves (also debatable). There are detractors and complainers out there. cstephens said they were prevalent during the period when Star Tours/Wars and Indy were brought in. I don't remember that so much as I remember the line to get on Indiana Jones Adventure stretching all the way back to the Main St. hub in its early days. Same with Star Tours. Disney can handle the complaints as long as the lines to get in their parks and featured attractions remain long. A Marvel based attraction would do just fine in a Disneyland/DCA setting. It's just another element to be added as Disney evolves as a company.

olegc
05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Good point. Innoventions, I can go with replacing that. BTW .... from the OC Register report announcing a huge increases in theme park attendence

Disney is “ramping up” efforts to add Marvel elements in its parks, including in California, Iger said. Currently, Disney parks have strong sales of Marvel products, especially with the recent popularity of “The Avengers” movie.

Full article: http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2012/05/08/disneyland-marks-attendance-record-in-early-2012/112462/#more-112462

gut the innoventions building and make it half show half walkthrough.

striking while the iron is hot can happen with characters, and a photo op, but an attraction will take 2 yrs or so to build, so it would only appear when the sequel hits. And remember, all of the recent single-hero films received OK responses at US box offices, only the Avengers hit it out of the park - so does that means more work. I think this can still happen in TLAND - maybe in front of innoventions.

Funny thing just popped into my head - Iron Man wearing a Dapper Dans straw hat. THAT would be weird...

oregontraveler
05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Funny thing just popped into my head - Iron Man wearing a Dapper Dans straw hat. THAT would be weird...
I can see it now: Iron Man singing Lead, Capt. America-Tenor, Thor-Baritone & Hulk-Bass. What if they replaced the Main Street vehicles with Avenger themed cars and they could be the driver? :eyeroll:

dban3
05-09-2012, 08:22 AM
striking while the iron is hot can happen with characters, and a photo op, but an attraction will take 2 yrs or so to build, so it would only appear when the sequel hits. And remember, all of the recent single-hero films received OK responses at US box offices, only the Avengers hit it out of the park - so does that means more work. I think this can still happen in TLAND - maybe in front of innoventions.

As we have learned with Cars Land, heat can build over a long time just through anticipation and Cars 2 was one of Pixar's least successful films critically and commercially (though it still made a boat load of money).