PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Spiel Techonolgy

MonorailMan
07-11-2003, 09:27 PM
I was talking to a Railroad CM, and he explained the whole system of the train spiel.

Ok, the spiel is no longer one giant tape that plays. In fact, it's now stored electroniclly, in small chunks. This makes it easy to swap out parts, like adding the MAOWTP reference, and removing the Space Mountain reference.

Along the route, there are little boxes with a small red light. These little boxes "trip" each car, as it goes along, to play that specific part of the speil. Therefore, a slow train will get each car "triped" at a slower pace, instead of the older, taped, delayed by X number of seconds between cars way.

He said, that this might have lead to the cause of removing the Thurl spiel, just because, that the delays in speech, would not have flown easly, and would not match up to the "trip" boxes.

Fairly cool. :cool: :cool:

DisneyFan25863
07-11-2003, 09:33 PM
I wonder why they don't program the diorama music that way.....(it seems that if you are in the last car, it starts to announce the Primevial World part halfway through the Grand Canyon part

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Fairly cool indeed. It's really cool actually. Kinda like my Pal Mickey?
I still don't like the missing Thurl Speil... it was so authentic and friendly. The new one is okay, but it just isnt as... well, Warm!

MonorailMan
07-11-2003, 09:34 PM
One quick note: The Monorail System works the same way. However, the trip boxes are on the beam, and are controled by the actual flipping of a small switch. :cool:

MonorailMan
07-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
I wonder why they don't program the diorama music that way.....

Good Point. I am unsure why it's this way. The only thing, is that if the train is going too fast, there could be a abbrupt cut in the music, as you transition into PW. However, most of the time, there going slow in there. :)

DisneyFan25863
07-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
One quick note: The Monorail System works the same way. However, the trip boxes are on the beam, and are controled by the actual flipping of a small switch. :cool:

Yeah, but there are definatly a few bugs in that system. We were riding it into Tomorrowland one day, and when the spiel said "Here are a few word from our captian", the captian only got to say "Hello, and welcome" before the spiel cut in saying "to the roadways of the Autopia" or somthing like that. For the remainder of our ride, the captian kept on trying to say stuff, only to have the sound system interrupt him :fez:

Ghoulish Delight
07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
We rode the Monorail yesterday and it got thuroughly confused. We picked it up in Tomorrowland. It pulled into the station while we were waiting, then sat there. The doors did not open. CMs talked to each other and into walkie talkies for a couple minutes. Finally, the driver (who had gotten out briefly) got back in, and had to back the train up a few inches, presumably to reset the door release system or something. That worked. We got on, and as soon as the Monorail started to move, the "We are now approaching Disney's California Adventure," portion of the spiel started up. Oops.

As for the diorama, sometime within the last year or so, they did change the system. It is now staggered in, I believe, two car chunks. So two cars are hearing the same bit start. That still leaves a little too much wiggle room. If you're up at the front of the first car, the audio comes in too late. If you're at the back of the second car, it comes in too early. But it's far better than it used to be.

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Another thing about the diorama and all the other places is with the multilingual conductors, the speil is cut severely short. The diorama doesn't even have a lead up to it!

MonorailMan
07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
We got on, and as soon as the Monorail started to move, the "We are now approaching Disney's California Adventure," portion of the spiel started up. Oops.

See, because the system is a manual switch, sometimes, the speil can get thrown off.

MonorailMan
07-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
The diorama doesn't even have a lead up to it!

"Where about to go travel through the Grand Canyon, it's a mighty long drop to the canyon floor, so remain seated, keepin' your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and no flash pictures, please."

Sounds like an intro to me. ;)