PDA

View Full Version : DL, DCA, DLH, and the balcony

SpaceMTJunkie
07-11-2003, 08:42 PM
So we are getting ready to hit Disneyland on Monday for our annual trip. There are a few things I live for when there.

1. Disneyland Hotel - Awesome service, awesome view, awesome rooms
2. Disneyland - Need I say more
3. DCA - It has it's moments, but overall a good rating from us
4. Fantasmic Balcony Seating - worth the price of admission just to watch this show.

Cya all there next week. I am stoked. I can't wait to feel the magic once again.

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Is it really? I'd think that the balcony would be too far away to see it too well. I've never been on the balcony. How is it?

MammaSilva
07-11-2003, 09:00 PM
The Balcony is beyond compare.. while it is cool to be up close and get to feel the spray or see the different characters 'up close' for the perfect view of the overall show.. there is NO place better than front row of the balcony !

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Now how about for sound?

MammaSilva
07-11-2003, 09:11 PM
no place better in the park! and especially for watching Believe after the early F! The balcony has it's own speakers I believe.

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 09:19 PM
For believe too? So is it really worth the price?

MammaSilva
07-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Every last cent! And if someone is in a wheelchair, they get the added bonus of getting to see the Club 33 Kitchen!

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Well I might consider it, but as a HS student, it already breaks my bank to go to DL, much less spend fortysomething dollars on a balcony seat. I'll keep it in mind.

MammaSilva
07-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Well for the average guest it's a bit pricey regardless of your being a student or not, we save for that and only do it once every few years to celebrate something big .. graduations, milestone birthdays.... first time to Disneyland... those kinds of things.. we do our trips to the park and enjoy it but like I said, if you really want a memory, save your coins in a jar and you'd be amazed at how fast it adds up..

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks MammaSilva!

SpaceMTJunkie
07-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Everyone should at the least have a one time experience on the balcony. Sure $47 is a lot of cash, so save up. Get change out from under the seat of your car, sell yourself, sell your dog. sell your house. Do whatever it takes to get yourself on the balcony at least once. You will not regret the view, the service, the sound.

P.S. The balcony does have speakers and The Believe music is pumped in for the fireworks.

ttig34
07-12-2003, 07:01 AM
I want to take my mom - who is in a wheelchair- to see the
Fantasmic show from the Balcony. Will we need to sit in the back row
due to the wheelchair? And do we need to tell them we have
an individual in a wheelchair when we make reservations?

Thanks

MammaSilva
07-12-2003, 07:22 AM
We've done the balcony several times with a wheelchair, and couple times with 2, this is how it has worked in the past. You get your 'seats' based on when you bought your tickets. Back in the day when you camped out for the tickets same day as the show I made SURE we had first in line first bought tickets, then when we got to the check in point, they just removed the chair that we would have used and we wheeled the chair into it's spot. However, having said that I have to say that was also back when 16 was the absolute MAX they allowed on the balcony per show. We haven't gone in the last 2 years so things as always 'are subject to change'. If your mom can transfer for the show and you have the good fortune to get in 'first' for tickets, I'd suggest that you plan on taking her to the balcony in her chair, then letting her transfer to the chair for the show.

danyoung
07-12-2003, 08:06 AM
The balcony is pretty cool, but I think it's a totally different experience from being up close to the show. The view is beyond compare, and the sound is decent, but nowhere near the chest thumping feel of the main speakers. It is awfully cool, though, to watch all the little ants scurrying around after the show, trying to force their way a step or 2 further towards the exit, while you recline in comfort, have another pastry, and sip your favorite beverage in total comfort. I did the balcony one time, and while I'm not in a huge hurry to do it again, I agree with SpaceMTJunkie - everyone should try it at least once.

ttig34
07-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the advice MammaSilva! We can transfer her from
the chair to a seat, as long as we do not have to transport her
too far. Hopefully, I will be the first one to make ressies that
day!

MammaSilva
07-12-2003, 08:22 AM
You won't have to transport her far at all, they'll move the chairs around to give you access, wheel her right next to the chair she needs to transfer too, then they'll put her wheelchair in the back or off in a 'side' area until the show is over and it's time for you to leave. How you GET there ... go to the first shop on that corner downstairs under the gallery and ask the CM for assistance to the Gallery, they take you to a 'staff only' Elevator, up thru the Club 33 kitchen, out on a back balcony walkway and into the back door of the courtyard.... if there are more than 2 in your party they will ask the rest of your party to walk up the stairs and meet you in the courtyard. (and yes you can snap off a few pics in the kitchen, the CM's are really cool about it actually ;) )

LibraryGirl
07-12-2003, 09:23 AM
My parents and brother had not seen Fantasmic yet because they hadn't been in the park for over 10 years. It was Boo's first time ever at DL. Hubby and I bought the tickets for the entire family when we went.

It was perfect for everyone's first time at Fantasmic. It was just far enough as to not scare Boo (too much :rolleyes: ). She practically climed up hubby like a cat claws up a tree when Malificent came out.

It's definitely a good experience for a special occaision (just as MammaSilva has mentioned! :D)

Oh yeah... unlimited Mint Juleps!! mmmmm

dsnylndmom
07-12-2003, 02:36 PM
I wanted to do the Balcony seating so bad this trip(we leave next wed.)but after Club 33 my budget was shot, basically I had to pick one of the two and since I might not get another shot at Club 33 I choose that. BUT my next trip to DL when Fantasmic! is showing I'm so there!:p

prudence
07-14-2003, 10:35 AM
One caveat: They now cram so many people onto the balcony that it's lost any appeal for us. I think there were 24 chairs when we went in June. It's just too crowded to really enjoy. About as much leg room as the Pooh ride and try to leave those elbows at home.

Allison
07-15-2003, 12:42 PM
I have been enjoying the balcony since 97.

I have been waiting out front since 3:30 am to be first.
I always have to talk to security, and explain why I am there so early, because they are watching you on camera the minute to walk off the crosswalk.
I have been front row, and first person called 5 times, and it is always a thrill!

One year the gardeners who get off at about 4:30, brought me coffee while my daughter and I sat on the ground in front of guest relations.

The best part was look of amazement on the persons face that showed up next! (smile)

It was quite snug when only 15 people were there, then 18, I can't imagine 24!

But you have to do it once, it is the best experience, and you don't have to get a spot early, you just show up!

How do you get the tickets now?

I have had some memorable experiences sitting out front, and even sprinting to the Blue Bayou, in the old days.

MammaSilva
07-15-2003, 12:47 PM
I have to say part of the fun in the old days was the camping out for tickets... my nephews built me a 'tear' down camp stool to take over with me and I'd sit and lean against the building and read.. I always loved that look of the next folks that showed up thinking they were soooo early they'd be first in line... and I was always nice enough to warn them I was buying out the entire balcony for the first show......you could meet some pretty cool people on those camp outs.. once we saw Miss America and a bunch of Disney Suits out by the Floral Mickey before the park opened for some promotional thing she was doing....amazingly NO one got out of line to go get a closer look LOL

TDBearGrrl
07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
I have never done the "balcony thing" and usually view Fantasmic! from the area around the river belle and the center lighting tower, however this weekend I was over by the French Market and the stage right lighting tower - there was a little area set up there with chairs and a cast member/waiter. I was blabbing with my friends and did not the see the people arrive, I dont know if they had "tickets" or what, but my question is - is this taking the place of the balcony?

danyoung
07-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Not taking the place, but in addition to.

Leap for Joy
07-17-2003, 03:15 PM
We did the balcony this week and I don't think there were 24 people! I would guess that it is closer to 16, maybe less. I bought my tickets 3 weeks ahead and got front row for the first showing, probably because it was a weekday.

It is a small balcony. I got a little bit of everything on my plate at first and I was glad I did because it would have been difficult to get up unobtrusively.