PDA

View Full Version : Does the Penny Arcade Still Exist?

dban3
05-06-2012, 08:39 AM
With the reopening of the Gibson Girl Ice Cream parlor, the Penny Arcade, and the Candy Palace many are lamenting / commiserating that it is the Penny Arcade that is getting short changed on foot space as both the ice cream parlor and candy store that have expanded for better traffic flow and the ability to served guests a little faster. Some people on other websites as see this as further evidence of Disney turning its back on its foundational traditions by having the quirky machines of the old Penny Arcade reduced to a few theme pieces rather than a true "penny arcade". I may be in the minority but my wife and I have gone into the Candy Palace only to turn around to come right back out because it was virtually impossible to navigate through the store due to the mass of people in there. I'm not really an ice cream person (lactose intolerant) but I've looked in the old Gibson Girl and saw the length of that old slow moving line. I'm kind of good with the changes and see these as needed improvements.

danyoung
05-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I think there will still be a few machines in there, although the days are long gone when it was mostly an arcade. I can remember the old mechanical machines, including a real helicopter that you flew in circles. Loads of fun!

oregontraveler
05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
You could make the same argument for the Main Street Cinema at WDW. Both exist in name only.

Bytebear
05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
The flow of the Candy store was much better, especially in the back area. They left a lot of open space around the cash registers, so it seems like they have less stuff. some penny arcade machines are still there, and it really seemed like they got rid of a lot of shelves, and not the penny machines.

The ice cream place is all queue now, but it is still way long, with a line out the door.

DwarfPlanet
05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I think there will still be a few machines in there, although the days are long gone when it was mostly an arcade. I can remember the old mechanical machines, including a real helicopter that you flew in circles. Loads of fun!

Ditto, the days of all the old machines that used to be in there are long gone years ago. A few exist but thats it.

MadasaHatter
05-08-2012, 06:24 AM
I just saw the pics from the weekly report and the re-do looks AMMMMMMAAAZING! I don't know if there are any more games or not but it LOOKS more like a penny arcade and the woodwork really highlights the wood of the old games.

The Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor looks fantastic. I am one of those on the side of "I am not waiting in line to get ice cream when I can scoop it at home" There are just too many other treats in Disneyland such as a Candy Apple or Dole Whip that I cannot get elsewhere. I also prefer to not stand in line for food. BUT when I walk by and see everyone standing in line it sure is prettier now!

Now fingers crossed that the CARNATION CAFE will be serving up sundaes again. I WILL wait for ice cream if I am at a soda fountain. I don't have one of those at home! I am mad, you know.....

redimpss5
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Yea we went thru this many times over the years! My favorite machine was the electromachine. put in a dime, hold on for 60 seconds and the bell rang. In the 70's and 80's this was a great way to "amp" up for the day..way better than coffee! In the 90's, i guess lawsuits caught up with that and power was decreased. Now Ibox weirdros are pushing out the other fun items in the penny arcade! How did this happen? Fun was had in Walt's days!!!