PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Anaheim

BUSTER1530
07-11-2003, 05:18 PM
We have visited Anaheim and Disneyland from the UK, twice before, but each time it as being in October. This year we are thinking of coming for Christmas. Can anyone advise what the weather will be like then and also what the crowds are like over christmas at disneyland? Many thanks

disneygeek87
07-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Let me just warn you, Disneyland is extremely crowded towards the end of December and after Christmas. We were there last year for 3 days and the lines were extremely long. The wait for the Haunted Mansion alone was 150 minutes at times. The weather is pleasant, nice in the day and at night you somtimes need a sweatshirt and pants. Just use FASTPASS and get to the parks early to hit all the big rides, and you'll be fine. Have Fun!!

DopeyWife
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
The Christmas fireworks are really amazing. The atmosphere at Disneyland is wonderful at Christmas (even though there are large crowds). FASTPASS really helps when wait times are extremely long.

Klutch
07-11-2003, 07:55 PM
I think we should tell BUSTER1530 that Disneyland is not just busy at Christmas, it's THE busiest time of the year. How busy? It's not unusual for Disneyland to close the gates and allow no further admittance because the park is full. I personally would not want to fly from the UK to stand in line and push and shove my way around all day.

I suggest the weeks just after the Yankee Thanksgiving weekend. The first two weeks of December are the time of absolute lowest attendance all year and the Christmas decorations will be up by then. Once American schools let out for Christmas vacation, er, excuse me, "Winter Break", almost every person visiting family within driving distance of Disneyland goes to the park. This is in addition to the locals who go to see the parades, decorations, and fireworks.

For a frequent Disneyland visitor, the days around December 25th can be exciting, what with all the people and action. For someone flying across the Atlantic, I don't think it would be much fun.

laldava
07-11-2003, 10:51 PM
I went to DL two different times last december. The first time was during the second week of december and it was empty - which was great because the haunted mansion and small world makeovers were already done. The second time I went was right around Christmas and it was packed. If you can go early in december do it. The closer you get to christmas, the worse the crowds will get. Either way the holidays are a great time to go to the resort. The weather is mild as it usually is here in So. Cal Also,the Christmas version of Believe is a must see as are the holiday attraction rehabs. DL during the holidays is simply awesome.

DisneylandBoy
07-11-2003, 11:03 PM
I LOVE Christmas at Disneyland. I am an Annual Passholder AND I work there, and I still deal with the crowds just to be able to see Christmas at Disneyland. I would DEFINATELY reccommend you visit, just allow and extra day or two if you want to be able to do everything. Get there early in the mornings and use Fastpass - but be sure to stay at least once until night. It is soooooo amazingly gorgeous! GUH! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

As far as weather, pants and a t-shirt during the day, and sweatshirt at night. Sometimes you need a sweatshirt during the day. It all depends on how CA is feeling that week. As my friends and I say, "California's weather is on crack!" Hehe! Gotta love the spontanuity of it all!

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 11:09 PM
My family once took a trip during the season... it was so beautiful. The tree was the biggest I've ever seen and the small world lit up with lights... how can I forget such a date!

Morrigoon
07-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Okay guys, with the weather... remember we're talking to Brits here. While we're all bundled up in our heavy coats, sweatpants and turtlenecks, Buster and his family will be walking around in jeans and shirtsleeves :) Winter weather here is very mild compared to the UK. Daytime temps usually no lower than in the 50's (that's farenheit, btw), and nighttime temps almost never below the 40's. More likely, you'll see 60's during the day and 50's at night. To us SoCalers, that's freezing cold, but it'll be nothing to you (just please try not to laugh too hard when you see us in gloves and scarves!)

One thing I will say is that around Christmastime, the wind picks up in the evenings. Sun goes down, wind picks up. I haven't yet spent a New Year's Eve at the park where the wind didn't go nuts right after midnight and clear the park out. So even if it's warm to you, Buster, bring a jacket for evening.

For the fireworks, stand right between the photo shop and Coke Corner at the end of Main street. Best possible combo of castle and the "special effect" (below in spoilers in case you don't want the surprise ruined for you).
They make it SNOW on Main Street! Might be nothing to someone from colder climes, but it's really novel for us, and the snow never really hits the ground, it sort of disappears

And of course there's the HM overlay of Nightmare B4 Xmas, and the Small World Holiday overlay. And the Christmas parade (One more time! "There's a special magic, at Christmastime each year..."), and of course, each land's themed decorations (be sure to see Santa Gator over NOS)

lilbitopxedust
07-12-2003, 10:55 AM
just wanted to point out something to y'all...to Brits, "pants" are the things that go on UNDER your pants. So you'll want to advise them to bring trousers. Hopefully they'll have the sense to bring pants.

:D

Morrigoon
07-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Good thing we're not telling them they need erasers or cigarettes, eh? Who knew such mundane items could have us violating community policies ;) Let's stick to the American terms, shall we? :fez:

Cloudcroft
07-12-2003, 02:10 PM
From the week after Thanksgiving weekend through the week before Christmas the crowds are not too heavy. From Christmas through New Year's the place is mobbed!! If you go in early or mid December, you can enjoy the Christmas decorations, the Christmas parade and fireworks without feeling like you are in a sardine can.

Do bring long trousers and jackets as the evenings cool off quickly after the sun goes down. (which is rather early at that time of year).

The hotel rates do seem to be pretty good until a few days before Chrismas, but Disney doesn't lower the prices on their food any!

dsnylndmom
07-12-2003, 02:26 PM
We've gone in early and mid november. The early nov. trip was the 7th-11th and the Thursday-Saturday the crowds were very low but it rained off and on. Sunday and Monday were pack due to Veteran's Day.

The mid nov. trip was like the 17-21 I think. I know it was a week after the 11th(my son's bday)and it was wonderful. All the decorations, the costumes, the fireworks all the magic and NO CROWDS!!! The only they didn't have was the christmas parade. Both HM and small world were both all done up and it was just perfect. The weather was wonderful the whole time also. I would defintely reccomend this time period if December doesn't work out for you.

Tina

Pan Flyer
07-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Xmas time in Anaheim...you can't beat it!

Morrigoon
07-13-2003, 12:59 AM
"Once upon a time, in Anaheim... Anaheim, California..."

DCA Dot
08-10-2003, 06:50 PM
We were at the Resort for the first time during the Christmas holiday season and it was just magical!

Lashbear
08-10-2003, 07:09 PM
I have to agree, the park at Christmas is something you won't forget easily, and it's really a "must see" !!

Use the excellent guide on How to best use fastpass (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14736) to make the most of your visit, and have a ball !!

Don't forget that weekdays around the actual holiday date are a little less crowded than the weekend !

the park is open longer too, which makes up for the long lines - just make sure you have a fizzy Vitamin B tablet (do you have Berocca?) before you go to give you that "get up and go" :o)

Cheers,
Rob. :fez:

disney_leonard
08-10-2003, 08:43 PM
The period bewteen the U.S. Thanksgiving and New Year is a great time at DLR. Like everyone else I caution you on the week before and after Christmas. The MOST crowded time of the year. If you can arrange it, come in early December as the parks are nearly empty yet the parks are decorated and holiday events are scheduled.