PDA

View Full Version : New dress codes at DL announced on news

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jrsharp21
07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
On one of the local news stations here in Sacramento they announced that Disneyland has lowered the dress code standard at the DLR. Cast members can now wear corn rows, as long as they are kept collar length. Men can now wear tasteful earrings. Also women are allowed to wear more comfortable shoes. I believe they said that the men are now also allowed to wear different shirts now also.

silence
07-11-2003, 06:01 PM
found this at excite.com

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Mickey Mouse can now sport cornrows, and Minnie can wear hoop earrings.

The Walt Disney Co. is loosening grooming rules for workers at its theme parks, another shift from the squeaky-clean standards set by the company's founder decades ago.

[Moderator's Note - remainder of text deleted. Please feel free to post a link to the source story, but do not post an entire column from another online publication here.]

DisneyFan25863
07-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Lani posted this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18261) in the News forum.

HBTiggerFan
07-11-2003, 06:39 PM
I wonder if the open back shoes are going to be allowed for the on stage CMs. I can't see Disney allowing open back shoes when almost every single retail establishment requires closed toe/back shoes for their employees for safety reasons.

mrfantasmic
07-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Aww... as for me, I kinda like the clean cut look. sure its a little old fashioned, but it looks, well, nice!

MonorailMan
07-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Now, let's do something about the Grad Nite guest dress code. ;)

tabacco
07-11-2003, 09:18 PM
No, clothing changes like the shoe thing and the shirts are usually for non-costumed CMs only.

HBTiggerFan
07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
No, clothing changes like the shoe thing and the shirts are usually for non-costumed CMs only.

That's a relief, and it's not nearly as bad as they made it sound then. Many offices allow open back shoes with a strap for women.

DisneyFan25863
07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I couldn't see them allowing open-back shoes for attraction CM's. Thats a huge saftey issue, espically if they have to walk the track in a breakdown

Morrigoon
07-12-2003, 12:40 AM
I haven't heard a thing.

danyoung
07-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by jrsharp21
On one of the local news stations here in Sacramento they announced that Disneyland has lowered the dress code standard at the DLR. Cast members can now wear corn rows, as long as they are kept collar length. Men can now wear tasteful earrings. Also women are allowed to wear more comfortable shoes. I believe they said that the men are now also allowed to wear different shirts now also.

I'm not sure how any of the above can be considered a "lowering" of standards. Times change, and corn rows, men's earrings and comfortable shoes are fully integrated into the modern world. Shouldn't be an intrusion in the Land.

mrfantasmic
07-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Morrigoon: check in the LA times or OC Register this morning. Its on the front of the business section

Morrigoon
07-12-2003, 10:07 AM
I mean that I haven't heard anything from the inside.

mrfantasmic
07-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Ahh... gotcha... any word on why they changed?

msteddom
07-12-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't know why they would change the rules withthe shoes, but my guess is that the new hair syle rules are a cultural sensivity issue.

GongFishuang
07-12-2003, 04:30 PM
is this at both WDW and DL?

Walts Buddy
07-12-2003, 05:25 PM
cops with beards...Disney employees with cornrows and earrings??!!! I guess I'm stodgy, but there are just somethings that I wish would stay the same. It's time for me to head over to Yesterland for a dose of the good 'ole days...:crying:

9oldmen
07-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I agree somewhat, Walt's Buddy, but I am relieved that it's only their ears that they are allowed to have pierced. Please tell me I'm right about that.

HBTiggerFan
07-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
I agree somewhat, Walt's Buddy, but I am relieved that it's only their ears that they are allowed to have pierced. Please tell me I'm right about that.

I'd love to, however I have seen CMs with tongue piercings, though I doubt they are allowed.

MonorailMan
07-12-2003, 10:54 PM
9oldmen, WaltsBuddy, just like HB, I've seen CMs with Tounge Piercings. :)

YellowMan
07-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Walts Buddy
cops with beards...Disney employees with cornrows and earrings??!!! I guess I'm stodgy, but there are just somethings that I wish would stay the same. It's time for me to head over to Yesterland for a dose of the good 'ole days...:crying: I agree and I'm far from an old man. I don't know, the cast members I see in photos from years ago, and even the cast members I've seen with my own eyes 10 years ago just seemed a little more well groomed and neat.

Morrigoon
07-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Because they were. Nobody holds up the standards anymore. It's all our mgmt can do to get our crew to keep their hats on these days (I have yet to see a day where everyone wears their hat, though it's a required part of the costume)

MammaSilva
07-13-2003, 08:11 AM
I have to wonder if it's Disney’s reaction to that "bottom of the barrel" available workforce issue? With the 'decline' in what was once considered appropriate attire/grooming standards in the general work force maybe the company is feeling the pinch and like the whole moustache issue (based on a cultural sensitivity according to the official release). I know that other theme parks are very ummm relaxed??? in enforcing grooming standards. The hairdo issue, very probably because when told they can’t wear their hair the way they’ve worn it for several years, makes some people say forget it, I can make this money at MickeyD’s and wear whatever I want. As for the ‘no tie’ issue, I think that one is more lame…. Who says someone without a tie is ‘more approachable’? I think it shows that “that” person just MIGHT be in management and therefore more able to assist my current dilemma than the front line CM. As for the shoe issue.. most business offices allow females to wear open toe, no back type shoes if they are appropriate to the attire they have on, I don’t foresee “flip-flops” as acceptable footwear. Call it a change to keep up with the times if you want, I think it’s more economics.. They can’t afford to exclude that much of the available workforce any longer.

Walts Buddy
07-13-2003, 08:39 AM
One of the reasons that I've loved the Disney magic for many decades is that it provides me with the complete atmosphere that allows me to relax and immerse myself in a bit of escapism from the other facets of my life. One of Walt's fundamental reasons behind the creation of DL was seeing a need for a change from the seedy carnivals where he had taken his daughters. I was hoping that the Disney magic would remain for my children also. I will remain a lover of Disney, but it won't hold the same magic...:(

HBTiggerFan
07-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Until there is a 360 in management style and Disney quality Disney won't be able to afford to be super picky as to who they hire. The current management style is leading to the high turn over of CMs, which means Disney needs to keep hiring and they have less to pick from. I remember reading in MouseTails that Disney was the place to work, and they had so many applicants that they could afford to be picky. Until it is the place to work again, they won't have that option.