PDA

View Full Version : Big Al, Teddi Beara, Trixi, Rufus, etc...

GoldenEars
08-22-2001, 09:48 PM
OK, here's the skinny on what I heard about the Country Bear Playhouse closing.

I went into City Hall last week and asked a CM when the official date was that Disney was closing down the CBP for good. She had this look of confusion no her face and told me that in no way was that attraction closing it's doors anytime soon. She said that nothing has ever been brought to her (or the departments) attention regarding closing the door of that show.

Now I realize that CM's are not supposed to let the guests know about things like this until it's been officially announced to the general public. So I'm still at a loss on what's happening. I read Al Lutz's story, and I just can't see Disney closing it and not making a big deal out of it. Oh wait, we're talking about Disney, aren't we? I forgot...YES THEY CAN!

We'll just have to wait until September 9th, and see what happens. I just hope that if they do close the attraction, that they move the bears over to DCA near the GRR attraction. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Morrigoon
08-22-2001, 09:57 PM
The CMs are not lying or trying to cover anything up. Disney doesn't GIVE them the information. Al almost invariably knows things before the CMs do... that's why so many of them read MP!

mcampisi
08-23-2001, 06:09 AM
Where is the Country Bear movie I kept hearing about. Wasn't that supposed to have some "bear"ing on their fate?

Castmbrdlx
08-23-2001, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The CMs are not lying or trying to cover anything up. Disney doesn't GIVE them the information. Al almost invariably knows things before the CMs do... that's why so many of them read MP!

You are 100% right about this. We get no info at all about stuff like this. Sometimes our leads know the day before something is going to be offically announced but usually were in the dark.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-23-2001, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by DsneNutI just hope that if they do close the attraction, that they move the bears over to DCA near the GRR attraction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Country Bears are COUNTRY, and the park across the way is all about California. It just wouldn't make sense to send the good ol' boys to DCA. They'd have to turn them into the CA Bears, which would result in bad surfer accents and such.....and it would be another SHOW, something DCA does not need.

On another note, it seems Disney's execs change their minds about things so rapidly that it's impossible to keep up. Al reports these things like they're solid fact, but they can't be taken as such. If you go back and read the archives it's painfully obvious that the first word is rarely the same as the last.

So who knows? I'm just going to wait and see.

DisneylandKid
08-23-2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Country Bears are COUNTRY, and the park across the way is all about California. It just wouldn't make sense to send the good ol' boys to DCA. They'd have to turn them into the CA Bears, which would result in bad surfer accents and such.....and it would be another SHOW, something DCA does not need.

I agree with you on some note. I don't think DCA does need another show. I think that the bears should, however, migrate to DCA for a dark ride. They could still be COUNTRY bears, as well. California has COUNTRY people, don't they? (And it would still fit in with Grizzly Peak area in a way, too)

WizKidRyan
08-23-2001, 11:41 PM
I sure hope that the bears move over to DCA. I saw the show for my first time yesterday. To me it *screamed* california :)

pixiepal
08-24-2001, 09:47 PM
I just don't see how they could close it BEFORE the Bears movie comes out?? What kind of bass-ackwards thinking is that? Imagine all of the wonderful merchandising possibilities!! We know that that's what Disney focuses on nowadays...I am surprised they are not thinking of that (or maybe they are?)
It pains me to no end to know that the bears have been around as long as I have, and they might just rip them out without any sort of fanfare! The Bears are one of the things I remember most about my visits to Disneyland as a child....it's going to be sad to see them go (if they do go).
DARN THEM!!:mad:

Darkbeer
08-25-2001, 12:27 AM
Alas, right now, Pooh is answering Regis' $1,000,000 dollar question (with H&R Block paying the taxes...)

On the other hand, the Bears are still trying to figure out use their paw "fingers" to get t the hot seat....

And, what would be "big Al's" speciality in the phone a friend????

The Bears are not making much money, and the movie is not considered to be a "A" list film. But of course, lower expenses in making the movie, and the automatic Europe and Japan interest (due to a good percentage seeing the CBJ show at a park), plus the DVD/Video will make Disney money....

On the other hand, Pooh is the biggest money maker Disney has right now....

So why not take a show that costs a lot to develop and has lots of up-keep, and convert it to a show that has low cost development plus a lot less upkeep costs, that plugs something that makes the company a LOT of money????

Alas, where is Monty Hall... (he used to film Let's Make a Deal at the Disney Studios in Florida the last year of filming). Can I trade Pooh and DCA for the big box on the floor (praying for TDS and the bears...)

Doodle Duck
08-25-2001, 07:47 AM
To my good friend CadaverousPallor...
There are MILLIONS of good country folk (Calif. is after all one of THE key agri states) that would argue that their speech patterns resemble surfers.
Head up into the vast San Joaquin Valley for a taste of Oklahoma. I'd venture to say, there are alot more boots in California than floppies....and despite the promotions to the reverse...Country Radio is usually #1 in many many cities here. (Including San Diego).
The Bears belong in DCA.