PDA

View Full Version : Golden Horseshoe Security Issue

sunnydalegirl
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
On Wednesday (4/18) my family and I were eating in the Golden Horseshoe and waiting for the show to start. There were 6 of us so we had two little tables in the middle of the main area. A CM came over and asked us if we would move down two tables because of a security issue. We did so, wondering what was going on. Then we saw that someone had left a black bag under the table that had been right behind us. She turned all the chairs around at the tables all around this one particular table and kept directing people away. Then security showed up to watch the area until the dog came to check the bag. It was fine and they took it away and let people sit there again.

I guess it was pretty obvious someone had just forgotten their bag, but we thought it was strange to say there is a security issue and have a bomb-sniffing dog come and let guests stay just a few feet away from the bag. What if it really had been something? It was pretty neat to see this whole process in action.

3Princesses1Prince
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Since it was "obvious" someone forgot their bag they didn't want to overreact by evacuating the building, but they also wanted to take necessary precautions (aka bomb sniffing dog) before moving it. Seems like a good balance of caution and common sense.

freckles
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Not on the excat same subject but I never knew DL had a bomb snifing dog untill
our last trip. I beleive it was on Tuesday March 27th we saw the dog in action twice within a
15 minute peoird. When leavig the park to head back to our room to take a break from the park we noticed the dog over by the bike racks near the ART bus side checking out a back pack left behind. After watching them leave within minutes they were back checking on a purse (if I remeber correct) left on one the benches by a ART stop. Our ART driver heard us talking about it and told us that if someone ever leaves anything behind they are suppose to evacuate the bus and wait for it to be checked out.

bumblebeeonarose
04-24-2012, 04:12 PM
We witnessed this same thing at the Village Haus last summer.

biolabetty
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
This happened to my friends and I at the Golden Horseshoe in January. We were sitting up in the balcony waiting for the show and suddenly realized that there were no employees at the counter. About that time the dog came in and sniffed a backpack that was on the counter. We remarked to each other that it was nice that they removed the employees for their safety, but it would have been even nicer had they included the customers. We never did get to see the show either since it was cancelled due to the disruption in the Golden Horseshoe.

chahn
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
We were almost to the front of the line at Peter Pan when someone left their purse on a boat. :( They cleared the queue & shutdown the ride for a while.

Bolivar
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
A couple of weeks ago I had lunch at Rancho del Zocalo and walked away without my backpack. I had gotten to BTMR when I remembered and ran back. I was happy it was still there hanging on the back of my chair. I had no idea I almost caused a scene.

CMHusband
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Since it was "obvious" someone forgot their bag they didn't want to overreact by evacuating the building, but they also wanted to take necessary precautions (aka bomb sniffing dog) before moving it. Seems like a good balance of caution and common sense.

last time someone has placed a tube in a tree by the entrance to the park and they shut the whole park down for hours not letting anyone leave or enter. Lots of folks were of course complaining. Its tough to know what the right balance is.

3Princesses1Prince
04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
last time someone has placed a tube in a tree by the entrance to the park and they shut the whole park down for hours not letting anyone leave or enter. Lots of folks were of course complaining. Its tough to know what the right balance is.

True, but that's not a normal place to "forget" something. I can see why that required more caution than a bag left at a table.

houseofmouse
04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Last summer we were outside eating at La Brea Bakery and they cleared out half of WOD due to a suspicious bag behind the bushes. We watched the dog do his work. Security was keeping people from entering the store on that end. They removed some bag a time later. We really weren't sure if we were watching a training exercise or if they really thought the bag was an issue.

I think shutting down a ride due to a purse, a purse?? is a bit overkill.

KDCartoons
04-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I think shutting down a ride due to a purse, a purse?? is a bit overkill.

A claymore mine can fit into a purse and can kill/maim dozens of people.
There's probably a couple dozen munitions (of many types) that can fit into an ordinary hand bag or smaller, and no-one can know what they are or how they are set until they check.

jananafish
04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't know how the CMs are trained at the baggage inspection area but don't you think they would be able to see a mine or a weapon or something when they do bag checks? I know, people can hide stuff or a CM isn't law enforcement or whatever...but I'm just wondering what exactly they are looking for then when we get our bags checked. Extra food? Obvious weapons? Alcohol? Probably. :confused:

3Princesses1Prince
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Weapons and alcohol most likely. I have some checkers that are very thorough (unzip every tiny pocket in my bag), and others that don't look past what's on top of my bag.

freckles
04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
The problem with checkers is even if they throughly check bags and etc. the person who has none of the items that are checked can easily hide in their pants or jacket. Then once past security can put what ever item in any bag or back pack.

letshavefun
04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Weapons and alcohol most likely. I have some checkers that are very thorough (unzip every tiny pocket in my bag), and others that don't look past what's on top of my bag.

This is so true and it seemed that every time we got a person that checked every zipper it was with my 72 year old mom. She is kinda slow and I always wished it was me instead. She wears a a fanny pack and would have to take it off so they could check it. I get security don't get me wrong but I really don't know what illegal thing an old lady would carry in a fanny pack. I guess I would be surprised if I talked to some of the bag check people.

cheshirecatgirl
04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I've seen the sniffing dogs a few times. Last time I was at DCA, sitting on a bench just outside the Engine Ears Toys. There was a bag left on the bench across the way, outside the Greetings from CA store. I was listening and writing down the song titles of the entrance loop, because I wanted to make a CD of them, and after the bag was checked and security was leaving, one of the security guys came over to talk to me, since I had been watching them and writing in my notebook. He wanted to know what I was doing! It didn't really occur to me that I was acting suspiciously till afterwards, but anyway. I showed him my list of songs and told him what I was doing. I had also been talking to a lady sitting next to me, and I had told her they were probably going to check that bag, when she asked why the bench was being guarded by security.

houseofmouse
04-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Oh my CCG! What a story! Was security at least nice about it?

sjhanksaz
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I just got back from Magic Mountain and had to go through metal detectors.

I know they have had other issues at that park but it did make me fell like I was pretty safe there. Not sure if I want to see that at Disneyland but the world has changed and I just don't mind going through them at all.

LacyBelle
05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
The problem with checkers is even if they throughly check bags and etc. the person who has none of the items that are checked can easily hide in their pants or jacket. Then once past security can put what ever item in any bag or back pack.

We were standing outside the Horseshoe one morning a few years ago waiting for it to open. There was a group in front of us and the 20-something guy in the group was bragging to his family members (at the park for grandma's 100th birthday according to her hat and balloon) that he'd successfully gotten his gun into the park (in the holster on his body). Wow, congrats, dude.

We were able to locate security a while later and alert them to the situation. It appeared to be one of those 'I did it to prove I can' kind of moments. It didn't sound like he had plans to use the weapon in the park, but who knows. I know for off-duty law enforcement, there are gun lockers for their use to store their weapons while visiting for the day. This was a regular guy (not law enforcement)...probably one of those open-carry advocates.

familymemories
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Last September we saw something similar happen with a stroller in the sitting area for Fantasmic. They had drug sniffing dogs all over it. My family felt safer knowing the security does this. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Ohthatjeff
05-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I get security don't get me wrong but I really don't know what illegal thing an old lady would carry in a fanny pack. I guess I would be surprised if I talked to some of the bag check people.

1) IIRC, WDW security stopped a lady last year visiting with her grandson because she had forgotten to remove her handgun from her purse.

2) Same reason they ask if you packed your bag at the airport. "That nice young man just asked me to carry this in for him. He said his wife was going to pick it up."

sjhanksaz
05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
At magic mountain they had me put my keys in the basket as I went through the metal detector. I forgot about a small leatherman keychain that I have. It has a small knife on it so I was told to toss it or put in my car. I went out of view and burried it in the bark at a tree near the entrance. On my way out I just went over and picked it up.

Worked pretty well. Maybe that lady with the gun could have done the same thing:fez:

BlkPearlCptn
05-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I know for off-duty law enforcement, there are gun lockers for their use to store their weapons while visiting for the day. T.

My ex was a sheriff and always bragged about the fact that he would carry his weapon into Disneyland. In fact he sorta got off on the fact that he was running around Disneyland with a weapon. (there is a number of reasons why he is an ex and no longer a sheriff). I used to hate that he would do that. So I know that it happens.

jananafish
05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
maybe that lady with the gun could have done the same thing:fez:

lol!!

Drince88
05-03-2012, 04:09 AM
At magic mountain they had me put my keys in the basket as I went through the metal detector. I forgot about a small leatherman keychain that I have. It has a small knife on it so I was told to toss it or put in my car. I went out of view and burried it in the bark at a tree near the entrance. On my way out I just went over and picked it up.

Worked pretty well. Maybe that lady with the gun could have done the same thing:fez:

And then created an incident that would cause the whole entrance to be shut down... (see post 8)