PDA

View Full Version : Original Autopia Cars on Ebay

Elisabeth
07-09-2003, 11:40 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw these on ebay or not but I WANT ONE. I don't know what I would do with it. I'm running out of room as it is. But it would be cool to have.
Any ideas on how to display something like this???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2182515182&category=140

Andrew
07-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Elisabeth
Any ideas on how to display something like this???

Hang it from the ceiling? Mount it on the wall?

Build a platform in the middle of your pool and sit the car on top, like an island or sculpture?

Put it in the middle of your living room with a sheet of glass on top and make it your coffee table?

mrfantasmic
07-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Okay, get that along with the POTC ride vehicle

DisneyFan25863
07-09-2003, 02:47 PM
We are seriously considering bidding on that (although, knowing my father, we won't :D)

Allison
07-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Like the coffee table idea...

Lani
07-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
Okay, get that along with the POTC ride vehicle I saw that at Disney Auctions at eBay. You know, the thing ain't even themed. I don't know that I'd want one.

As for the car, it doesn't come with the part that actually helps it run (the engine and the wheels). What's the fun in that?

experiment626
07-09-2003, 06:53 PM
I wonder if Disney knows they are selling it?

I would think twice before buying a "ride vehicle" from anyone but Disney.

mrfantasmic
07-09-2003, 07:10 PM
I just brought this up in another thread... but where would you put this?

Allysen1Derland
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Okay, MC Crockett Fan & his Brother (my Brother-In-Law to be!) are in a bidding war on that Autopia car and will stop at nothing to outbid each other and get it! They're both willing to go into the thousands! I mean, I'd LOVE one, but good golly! I had to pull myself out of their bidding drama!! :rolleyes: :p They really are vicious with this- you'd think we were bidding on Fort Knox! :D

So, should one of them get it, um, I'll feel guilty and have a viewing at, um, my house? :( ( Unless, God Forbid, they get outbit at the last second! I get so frustrated when I get into a bidding war & someone sneaks in last minute! :( )

What I REALLY wanted was the WDW Mr. Toad buggy! But they featured it after it sold!! :( What's up with that??

The POTC boat.....MC Crockett Fan, his Brother & I really aren't diggin' it! It's not like we could take it to the lake or beach or something! :D

AVP
07-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by experiment626
I wonder if Disney knows they are selling it?

I would think twice before buying a "ride vehicle" from anyone but Disney.
These car exteriors were sold at the 2001 Official Disneyana Convention. I would estimate that about 150 of them were sold there, which is where this person probably got it. In any case, I doubt that it's stolen property - Disneyland sold these off as fast as they could when the Autopia remodel happened. I think they were $150 at the convention.

One of my friends bought one, and has one in her backyard - I think she made a planter out of it. (She also bought two of the Disneyland parking lot marker signs - the blue rectangles - and made a bench of them)

AVP

Elisabeth
07-10-2003, 11:09 AM
I thought about a planter. The coffee table is a good idea but wouldn't look right in my living room.

I haven't bid yet and may not. If it got into the thousands forget it.

Does anyone know exactly what they are made of?

AVP
07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Elisabeth
Does anyone know exactly what they are made of? Fiberglass and resin, with a giant "DO NOT WELD" sticker on the chasis.

AVP

Klutch
07-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Shoot, that's just the fiberglass body; no chassis. I'm assuming the "new" autopia cars really aren't new at all. They just got a new "shell".

Of course, if you bought the body you could easily buy a go-cart chassis to mount it on. I'm sure the Autopia cars are off-the-shelf underneath, and if not, they are at least similar to other theme park cars.

As for a POTC boat, I bet those things would be surprisingly seaworthy. I mean, they would ride like a rubber ducky in a bathtub, but likely very hard to sink. Does anyone know if the construction is foam-filled, like a Boston Whaler, or just hollow?

experiment626
07-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by AVP
These car exteriors were sold at the 2001 Official Disneyana Convention. I would estimate that about 150 of them were sold there, which is where this person probably got it. In any case, I doubt that it's stolen property
I didn't mean the seller didn't come about the "car" legitimately. I thought (and of course I could be wrong) that I read on a disney auction for Mr. Toad or some other ride vehicle, that Disney could bar the person from reselling without authorization.

Ace
07-12-2003, 11:34 AM
I would pay a lot for an autopia car with brakes, and without the engine speed-limiter.

Disneyfreak
07-12-2003, 06:32 PM
make it a high speed go kart. You will have the best go kart in town!

AVP
07-13-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
I thought (and of course I could be wrong) that I read on a disney auction for Mr. Toad or some other ride vehicle, that Disney could bar the person from reselling without authorization. That is possible, however there was no such restriction at the Disneyana convention.

AVP

Klutch
07-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I had never heard of the Disneyana convention. It sounds like fun so I looked for info on the next convention. It figures. Disney isn't hosting for 2003:

http://disney.go.com:80/disneyatoz/disneyana/

Bummer.

AVP
07-13-2003, 01:31 PM
You can read about the 2001 Convention (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer010904.htm) on MousePlanet - Sue Kruse and I attended.

It was a good event, but it failed to meet the new cardinal rule of Disney events - it didn't turn 200% profit. And as the convention got bigger and bigger, and more and more complicated, the planners were faced with the need to drastically scale back the offerings - while keeping the price the same - or ending the convention entirely.

They tried a scaled-back convention in 2002, and people complained bitterly. So they ended it.

Many of those same people are now attending the Art Classics (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer020426.htm) events, which I imagine will replace the Disneyana convention in future years as more "external" artists are encouraged to participate.

AVP