PDA

View Full Version : Mandara Spa

monkeygirl
04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Has anyone been to the Mandara Spa lately?

I am thinking of surprising my DH with a couples massage when we are at the parks later this year. I am wondering if it is worth the price and if so, what was your opinion.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

stan4d_steph
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I've had good massages there, and the facilities and atmosphere is nice. Never done the couples massage. It makes for a nice splurge.

Niwel
04-07-2012, 09:59 PM
The Balinese Massage is amazing!

Escape2Disney
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
The Balinese Massage is amazing!

I've never done the couple massage, but have to agree that the Balinese massage is amazing! I've done it twice....both times were mid-trip which really helped with the normal aches and pains from roaming the parks.

sweethannah
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I've never done the couple massage, but have to agree that the Balinese massage is amazing! I've done it twice....both times were mid-trip which really helped with the normal aches and pains from roaming the parks.

I hope you don't find this rude but may I ask the price? I'm wondering if I can fit it into my budget.

Escape2Disney
04-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I hope you don't find this rude but may I ask the price? I'm wondering if I can fit it into my budget.
Not rude at all! I haven't done it in a few years, but when I did, it was $150 an hour. Sure, it's expensive, but at the time, it was totally worth the experience.

stan4d_steph
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I hope you don't find this rude but may I ask the price? I'm wondering if I can fit it into my budget.The Mandara Spa page (http://www.mandaraspa.com/spa/Anaheim-Disney-s-Grand-Californian-Hotel.aspx) has the spa menu linked at the bottom right as a pdf. The price list is at the end of the file.

TTFN92
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I just went thru the brochure and everything sounded heavenly. We used to have memberships to Massage Envy that we lived but I'm sure the ones at DL blow them out of the water. Wish they were in the budget. It's a bit pricey.

fairestoneofall
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I had a massage there the day of the Tinkerbelle Half. I have to say that I was less than impressed with the desk staff, but my therapist was wonderful. Hannahbelle and I had booked massages MONTHS prior to the race with a travel zoo coupon that we had gotten. Well, on the day of the massage they gave us a hard time about the coupon. It was noted at the time of our reservation and we were told it was no problem. All of a sudden it's a problem? The staff really made us feel like second rate citizens. It really turned me off. I assure you that Mandera Spa is not the classiest or most expensive spa that I've been to, by far, and it really annoyed me to be treated the way I was treated. I still haven't registered a complaint with a manager, but I should. I'm not sure that I'll ever book there again.

currence
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I can't and won't make excuses for the desk staff, but I wonder if one of the problems is that they add a 20% "service charge" to all services and "allow" for additional gratuity on top of that. I think I tipped about $100 (or more) for 2 people using the Travel Zoo coupon since I went off their regular prices, but I'm guessing that most people didn't. They did let me use Spa Finder gift certificates for the gratuity, which was nice since I bought them at 80% off at Costco. It wouldn't surprise me if by the time your took advantage of the coupon, the desk staff was sick of getting their tips cut. This should never be taken out on you, since the promotion was their doing.

When we used the Travel Zoo coupon, there was only one person working who could do the facials and massages, so I had to see a different person for each. Except the first person forgot that I had a facial after her services, so she led me down to the showers. After I finished rinsing my hair, and thinking "if I got a facial, that was the worst one ever" she came back with her apologies. But since I was already dressed it made going back to the facial room a bit awkward. Plus, the extra time delay meant that my friend finished her services well before I did and was left wondering what had happened.

I enjoyed my massage, but I didn't think it was any better than others that I have had elsewhere. Maybe I've just gotten lucky elsewhere, or maybe I have really low standards.

fairestoneofall
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
That could be, but even if it were, it was their coupon. I always tip on the full price. I would have even been fine if they had added that amount into the cost/spa fee (whatever they call it). I still tipped my therapist above 20% of the regular price. It sure soured me towards them.