PDA

View Full Version : What to do at DCA

Pages : [1] 2

disNeytEen
07-06-2003, 11:25 AM
When we go to DL and DCA in 12 days, since it will be our first visit, what are the best restraounts to eat at and what are the rides that we should and shouldn't miss. We will probably spend a whole day there so we need something to entertain us for a whole day

Wizard69
07-06-2003, 12:07 PM
When we go to DL and DCA in 12 days, since it will be our first visit, what are the best restraounts to eat at and what are the rides that we should and shouldn't miss. We will probably spend a whole day there so we need something to entertain us for a whole day

Are there any kids going? What age/sex? That would help to suggest thing to do and places to eat, etc.

disNeytEen
07-06-2003, 12:12 PM
One girl age 6, four boys ages 13,13,15, and 11. and four adults

DisneyFan25863
07-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Sorin over California (best ride at DCA)
If the boys like thrills, California Screaming and the Mailiboomer
The famiy can enjoy Muholland Maddness, MuppetVision 3D, Grizzly River Run, and Aladdin.
I personally like Ariels Grotto and Taste Pilots Grill for food
The 6 year old may enjoy Orange Stinger and Jumpin' Jellyfish

EandCDad
07-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Shouldn't Miss Rides

Soarin' Over California
Animation Building (show)
Muppets in 3-D (show)
Alladin Show (I don't care for it, but LOTS of people really like it)
Grizzly River Rapids (be prepared to get WET)

The six year old may enjoy Flicks Fun Fair (but only go when its not crowded), the boys probably won't care for it.

Good Eats
Whitewater Snacks - in the Grand Californian Hotel
Taste Pilot's Grill
Dips and Strips or Strips and Dips or whatever its called

dsnylndmom
07-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Also make sure to hit the Animation Building, everyone can find out what character they are and act out or sing a scene from a Disney movie and the little show with Mushu in there is adorable.

And my boys and I LOVE It's Tough To Be a Bug.

We also LOVE Ariel's Grotto and we like eating at White Water Snacks in the GC, right through the GC exit/entrance down the hallway and to the left.

And the boys will probably really enjoy the X Games style things going on now.

Don't miss the Electrical Parade!!!!!

Tina:)

CarlieB
07-06-2003, 01:59 PM
My favourite rides in DCA are GRR and Soarin'.

I'm too much of a chicken to ride Screamin', but I love watching it take off:D

Have fun:)

disneynut
07-06-2003, 02:19 PM
My kids love the Redwood Creek Trail Challenge or something to that effect. It's a whole big play area that burns a lot of energy. There's also a great indian storyteller that is there as well. My kids also enjoy all of the wet areas too in DCA...the boat, the area between the Orange Stinger and Jumpin' Jellyfish, and the water area in the bug land.

HBTiggerFan
07-06-2003, 04:45 PM
In honor of Zapppop:

drink

:fez:

Kuzcotopia
07-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Eat:

CARMEL CORN at the entrance plaza!

See: Muppets, Millionare, Aladdin, Animation, Bug.

Ride: Soarin', Screamin, Rapids, Maliboomer.

Do: When you've done all that, and it's still only 3 in the afternoon, run over to Disneyland for the evening!

(hey, I HAD to get my dig in at DCA!)

DCA is Disneyland's picked-on little brother. You still love him, even though he's scrawny and not as bright.

sancho
07-06-2003, 11:36 PM
The absolute best corn dogs I have ever had is at that stand in Paradise Pier. I look forward to them.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-07-2003, 07:29 AM
A lot of people on this board seem to hate it, but I rather like Golden Dreams.

Also, if you like Rosie O'Donnell at all, or have the slightest interest in the inner workings of an industrial bakery, I suggest Boudin.

I would classify both as things to do while waiting for your Soarin' FastPass to mature.

I don't recommend bothering with the Mission Tortilla Fiasco.

ArthurBang
07-07-2003, 09:47 AM
In addiition to the things mentioned here already, there is a lot of other entertainment (outside of rides) that can fill your day at DCA.

Make sure you see the Electrical Parade, check out the X-Games happenings (20-30 minute "Big Air" and "Halfpipe Bay" shows, plus the wonderful ska band Suburban Legends performing sets almost every day).

Golden Dreams is a great film with Whoopi Goldberg.

But don't miss Soarin Over California or It's Tough To Be A Bug.. and if you get hungry for a mid-meal snack, stop by the tortilla and bread factory tours to get a free sample to keep you going until you eat again :)

MonorailMan
07-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Also, if you like Rosie O'Donnell at all, or have the slightest interest in the inner workings of an industrial bakery, I suggest Boudin.

Hey, don't forget Colin. ;)

disNeytEen
07-07-2003, 04:02 PM
on Screamin' is it a rough ride that would make your head hurt. Also which rides have the Fastpass system

CarlieB
07-07-2003, 04:17 PM
I know that Soarin' and GRR have FastPass - I'm assuming Screamin' does as well, but I don't know...anyone?

Leap for Joy
07-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Screamin is a fast ride, but not rough. It never made my head hurt! The one that gave me a headache was Space Mountain, which is now under refurbishment.

At DCA, FastPasses are available for:
California Screamin'
Grizzly River Run
It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D
Mulholland Madness
Soarin' Over California
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It

Aladdin has advance tickets available, but I don't think they're called FastPasses.

Here's the link for which rides have FastPasses:
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/guestServices/fastpass?id=FastPassListingPage

sancho
07-07-2003, 10:06 PM
I really like Golden Dreams as well.

MonorailMan
07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by disNeytEen
on Screamin' is it a rough ride that would make your head hurt.

Remeber the surfer dude tell you the instructions?
"Keep your head agoint the head rest..."

Sounds like a case of "Lauchen bumpen de noggin." :D

mystycalchyk
07-08-2003, 07:45 AM
I also will give a vote for the sunwheel thingamajig. But I can't ride the 'slidey' cars, Its the red ones only for me. Im too skeered.

The first time I rode it I rode in the 'slidey' car and it took a LOT of begging from my man the next year to get me to attempt it again (in the red cars). But now I love it. Stick the boys in a slidey car and you and pops and the little one hang in the red car next to it.

CA Screamin' does have fast pass. I love that ride and usually hit it a good 5 or 6 times in a day. Plus Soarin' at least twice. Ask for the top center. The CM's are ususally really really nice about putting us there.

You couldn't pay me enough to ride Maliboomer, but again its cause Im chicken

*walks around the board demonstrating her chicken-ness*

bok bok bok

disNeytEen
07-08-2003, 09:52 AM
What is the Hyperion Theater and is the Disney Animation like the one in Flordia

disneynut
07-08-2003, 10:24 AM
The Hyperion Theater is located in Hollywood Backlot and it's where the Alladin show is currently performing.

If I remember correctly the Animation Building in Florida was one where you were on a guided tour and watched the animators work. The one in DCA is a big building with maybe 5 different rooms in it. Each room offers something different. Short films, doing voiceovers for different Disney animated movies, answering questions and having a magic mirror tell you what character you are most like. I'm really not doing it justice in my description of it. It's a nice attraction and not like what I remember the one in Florida being.

disNeytEen
07-08-2003, 01:45 PM
My mom says that our tickets allow us to have access to DisneyQuest. Question? i looked at the map and saw no DisnyeQuest in Downtown Disney. Is there one or is my mom just reading something wrong :confused:

disneynut
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
I know there is a DisneyQuest in WDW but I'm 99.99999% sure that there is not one at the DLR. Maybe I'm just overlooking something but I don't think I've ever heard of or seen one there.

dsnylndmom
07-08-2003, 03:08 PM
There's not a Disney Quest in DLR but my kids, little brother and cousins(4, 8, 12, 15 & 17)like to hang out and do video games in ESPN Zone